Sitka Fanatic and Fanatic Lite

StoneyWV

FNG
Classified Approved
Been using the Fanatic system for about three seasons and now got the Fanatic Lite system. I will say the Fanatic is my absolute favorite cold weather system and I've been in it for down to about 20 degrees stationary in a tree stand for hours. I love the Fanatic, the windproof is amazing, the outer material is super quiet and it's very warm with minimal layering required. The zip down legs are a blessing when making long treks into the woods. The weight does get a little straining if you are making excess of 2 mile entries. Pockets are in all the right places. My only complaint with the Fanatic is the legs are little tight on the size large up in the thigh. I'm 6' and 190 Mountain Biker and I have to work a little to get the zippers closed.

Fanatic Lite system is very well built, super quiet. The fit is little more room than the fanatic, but contribute that to the lack of insulation. I wore this down to about 38 deg with a good heavy insulation layer under and it was warm enough for few hours, not sure it would have made it all day. The only fail in this system is the lack of gore windproof lining. In Southern Maryland we tend to get wind more often then not even though it's not a high wind. If you can't keep the wind out then you can't stay warm period. The design of bibs and overcoat don't really make sense when the wind blown temp capability won't get me under the low 40's. I will probably opt for a different system for the 40-50 degree days in the future. Likely the Stratus as I have the pants and they do well, wish the Fanatic Lite was built with same windproof layer as the stratus as it would be the best system for most of the year available.

psalm1715

FNG
I agree... the fanatic lite is not great in the wind! The material seems like it should be wind proof, but it gets chilly if the wind is 8-10 mph or more. I don't have the fanatic system, because most of my hunting is done in Oct/Nov.
On windy, cold days I usually have to layer with a variety of clothes that have wind blocking ability.

I'm on the search for a system that does well in wind and has the versatility to work from 20-50 degrees.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Being new this year to Sitka, the Lite has baffled me. It doesn't make any sense to me. The stratus is perfect for cool day and can be layered under for colder temps, The lite does that without the windstopper, which is a big mistake on sitkas part. Make sure to get the Stratus bibs, the side zips will be a lifesaver for those 2 mile hikes.

OP
S

StoneyWV

FNG
Classified Approved
If I could only have one set of clothing to work in that range of 20-50 it would be the standard Fanatic.

OP
S

StoneyWV

FNG
Classified Approved
I do like the Stratus, but it does require layering properly for the cold. Very universal, but I hate layering, I carry my jacket on my pack on the way in with a base layer on. Then put that heavy Fanatic jacket on when I get to the stand.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
20-50 is a real tough range for me. With just two sets of baselayers I can cover than whole range, but in the 20s means its only a couple hour sit. I plan on getting both midis nest year and that should get me into the teens.

resurrecting an old thread - I am 5' 10" and roughly 160-165 lbs. Would you recommend going with a L jacket and M bibs? or L in both?

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
resurrecting an old thread - I am 5' 10" and roughly 160-165 lbs. Would you recommend going with a L jacket and M bibs? or L in both?
I am the same size and medium bibs work great, there is alot of adjustment and space for layering. The medium jacket also fits me very well and enough space to add two mid weight base layers if needed, but if you want to have alot of layers underneath (probably not needed, jacket is warm) then consider the large, but I was swimming in the large.