Sitka Fanatic Vest/First Lite Solitude Jacket

I am looking to purchase a warmer jacket or vest. I'm torn between the First Lite Solitude jacket as an end all warm jacket, or if I think I can get down to around the 30 degree mark in the Fanatic Vest, with layers.

The idea of my arms free for Trad bow hunting is why I'm considering the vest and from what i can tell its extremely warm. I would like to wear my base layers, wool shirt or fleece pullover and the vest. down to about that 32 degree frosty morning. Anyone have a similar setup and what temps you got down to?

My other question I guess is, do I just get the solitude jacket and have the warmth down to the 30 mark maybe colder. The solitude seems to be plenty warm but also has a good fit and cut for the bowhunter. Any takes on this? I feel the solitude jacket could go over my base layers and a hoodie and keep me warm. I would like to not be stacking so many layers this season. Also the new line of solitude now has the windstopper which could aid in cold weather.

Both pieces I will more than likely pack in and put on once I'm in the tree.

any experience/thoughts with these two pieces would be helpful

I have a set of solitudes. 30 without a lot of layers underneath is doable but your results may vary. I had my set down to ~10* with layers. i looked hard at the Sitka fanatic and almost went that way but the solitude hooked me a bit with total price. I can’t speak to the wind stopper as mine are the older versions without.

as far as jacket vs vest, a vest wins every time for archery but loses on warmth. I have shot my compound bow with my solitude but I wouldn’t say it is my best choice if I don’t want bulk in my sleeves.

H80Hunter

WKR
It’ll be personal preference but I’d take the layout of the vest. Depends how warm or cold you are but I think you could make the vest work at 30.

OP
S
It’ll be personal preference but I’d take the layout of the vest. Depends how warm or cold you are but I think you could make the vest work at 30.
Do you have the vest? I’m leaning this way just for the MAJORITY of my hunting will be 36-45 degree mornings and a vest should be plenty

OP
S
I have a set of solitudes. 30 without a lot of layers underneath is doable but your results may vary. I had my set down to ~10* with layers. i looked hard at the Sitka fanatic and almost went that way but the solitude hooked me a bit with total price. I can’t speak to the wind stopper as mine are the older versions without.

as far as jacket vs vest, a vest wins every time for archery but loses on warmth. I have shot my compound bow with my solitude but I wouldn’t say it is my best choice if I don’t want bulk in my sleeves.
Do you feel though like the jacket and a few layers you don’t feel “trapped” in the shoulders or anything? I know they’ve worked on the cut specifically for that. I hate the marshmallow feel

H80Hunter

WKR
I use the fanatic vest a ton, I do usually switch to the fanatic jacket in the 30s but you could certainly stretch it to the 30s.

Do you feel though like the jacket and a few layers you don’t feel “trapped” in the shoulders or anything? I know they’ve worked on the cut specifically for that. I hate the marshmallow feel
I dont but I sized up to 3xl - I wear 2xl - so I could layer per things. If I am thoughtful, it isn’t a Problem bu too many tick layers adds up.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Fanatic vest is one of the best pieces of whitetail clothing out there. The built in handmuff is perfect and I use it from 40-50 degrees down to sub zero temps with different layering. I wear it over the stratus jacket and a puffy if it's really cold or over just a merino/fleece in warmer temps.

OP
S
Fanatic vest is one of the best pieces of whitetail clothing out there. The built in handmuff is perfect and I use it from 40-50 degrees down to sub zero temps with different layering. I wear it over the stratus jacket and a puffy if it's really cold or over just a merino/fleece in warmer temps.
Do you think a thick Merino base(maybe 2), some form of thick fleece, and that fanatic vest would get me down to low 30s?

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think a thick Merino base(maybe 2), some form of thick fleece, and that fanatic vest would get me down to low 30s?
Depends on your comfort level and wind. At 30 degrees I'd probably wear a 150 merino T-shirt, kiln 250 qz or grid fleece, stratus jacket and fanatic vest. The stratus does not have much insulation but wind blocker makes it feel much warmer than it is. If you had bibs instead of pants that would also help retain heat.