Sitka fanatic vest ?

Agross

WKR
What are yer guys thoughts on this vest? I've searched on here I and still have a few questions. I have noticed there are several people that said they didn't care for it, but didn't really go into much detail. Is it the goofy zipper? Also what is that little mesh square on the front of the vest ? I have mostly first lite gear but there are a couple Sitka pieces I wanted to try. It would be used for later bow season and gun season here in Michigan so I definitely need quiet, which I've read this is, and I want relatively warm and wind proof . Also is their sizing consistent? I just picked up a fanatic hoody in 2x and it fit perfect. I'm a shorter stockier build( beer belly) kinda guy. I don't like my clothing big and baggy but definitely don't like form fitting or snug, that drives me nuts. So guys that have one in XL or 2x, what size are you and how does it fit? Sorry about the long winded post but I really like to be sure before dropping that kind of money on hunting stuff. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
OP
A

Agross

WKR
No opinions on this vest, good or bad? Also curious if there is really much of a difference between the last model and the newest version?

I've posted this here before, the Fanatic vest is my favorite piece of hunting clothing I've used. It's warm, blocks wind, gives your arms perfect freedom of movement for bow hunting, and the pockets are laid out perfectly to my preferences in a tree stand.

Even in early season I usually throw it on due to its layout.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used one some. The zipper is kinda goofy, but I do like the hand pocket. I wear a 2xl in most jackets, and I can wear a sweatshirt/light jacket under the 2xl vest.

Jimss

WKR
I really like my fanatic vest. There really aren't a whole lot of options for vests with outer material that is truly quiet cloth. Some of the lighter and less bulky vests I looked at weren't very quiet and I was a bit spooked about puncturing in brush. The side zipper is weird but it offers a large zippered pouch in front of the large hand warmer pouch. There also is a small chest pocket without a zipper for small items. The insulation is very good, dries quickly when wet, and is windproof. It's nice wearing a vest so your arms are free and there is less chance for hitting bulky jacket arms with string when bowhunting.

I returned my large vest and exchanged it for a medium.....I usually wear large.

tsm213

FNG
I’ve had one for a couple years. It works very well. I put a hand warmer in the front kangaroo pocket with my release when I’m sitting. It works well for stand hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykonos

FNG
It’s one of my favorite pieces. I had the fanatic jacket but just sold it because I didn’t wear it once last season. I’d rather have less bulk on the arms and you can’t beat the built in hand muff.

I had one. I loved it and moved on to try something as equal. If it wasn’t for the pattern I would definitely buy another one. I would go for one with a little less insulation. More like a Jetstream vest with that outer material.

It’s a great piece for stand hunting. The pouch pocket is really great. My biggest gripe is that if you don’t zip it all the way up it creates a big flap right in the area where your string is when anchored. I don’t zip mine all the way up and tuck the extra material back into the vest.

I love my Fanatic Vest. Great as extra warmth/insulation on days when the Fanatic Jacket isn't quite needed. I love the "goofy zipper" as it allows for the kangaroo pocket, which is awesome.

Acpinn

WKR
I haven't used the fanatic vest but will mention that the diagonal zip (same as fanatic jacket) is a game changer in being designed into the gear vs the old clip on hand warmer. The mesh square is part of the pocket so you could blow your grunt tube without removing it from pocket.

jbwright

WKR
I really like my fanatic vest. There really aren't a whole lot of options for vests with outer material that is truly quiet cloth. Some of the lighter and less bulky vests I looked at weren't very quiet and I was a bit spooked about puncturing in brush. The side zipper is weird but it offers a large zippered pouch in front of the large hand warmer pouch. There also is a small chest pocket without a zipper for small items. The insulation is very good, dries quickly when wet, and is windproof. It's nice wearing a vest so your arms are free and there is less chance for hitting bulky jacket arms with string when bowhunting.

I returned my large vest and exchanged it for a medium.....I usually wear large.
Hey I know this post is over a year old but this info is some of the best I've read. I'm debating hard against a Large or Medium - do you mind sharing your ht/wt? I'm 5'11'' and 160. I tried on the Fanatic jacket at a local shop but they didn't have the vest...given my long arms and the medium feeling like a belly shirt I'd go with the L in the Fanatic jacket. Should I size down to a M for a snugger fit or what's your thought?

5'9", 165. I wear medium Sitka tops. The Fanatic vest is still my favorite piece of hunting clothing. Hunting from a tree stand, I make sure it is my outer layer on all but the very warmest days.

Jimss

WKR
I still love my fanatic vest as well! I am 6' and 145 lbs. I had to return the large because it was way to big. I have pretty long arms but a 33" waste.

406unltd

WKR
I like the vest. My arms get cold if I don’t put considerable layers on. This makes for a bulky mid section but hasn’t hindered archery. The other benefits outweigh all that for me personally. I’ll never get rid of it.