Sitka Fishing Trip in 2022

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Heading to Sitka in 2022 to fish for 4 days. Flying from Florida, its obviously a long poke to get there, and with the logistics as well as time change, I want to at least be out that way for a week. What to do with the other 3 days?

Considering other places in Alaska, or maybe even Canadian locations assuming the border is open, just getting to Sitka 3 days earlier and doing stuff around there. Never been to Sitka other than once on a cruise back in the 1990s we stopped there for the day (I don't think that counts). Been to Denali a couple of times, was cool but no interest in going back.....generally want to stay away from concentrations of other tourists if possible. No interest in Anchorage....Homer is cool but spent a good bit of time there in 2016, would like to see something new.

Any ideas/feedback?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Heading to Sitka in 2022 to fish for 4 days. Flying from Florida, its obviously a long poke to get there, and with the logistics as well as time change, I want to at least be out that way for a week. What to do with the other 3 days?

Considering other places in Alaska, or maybe even Canadian locations assuming the border is open, just getting to Sitka 3 days earlier and doing stuff around there. Never been to Sitka other than once on a cruise back in the 1990s we stopped there for the day (I don't think that counts). Been to Denali a couple of times, was cool but no interest in going back.....generally want to stay away from concentrations of other tourists if possible. No interest in Anchorage....Homer is cool but spent a good bit of time there in 2016, would like to see something new.

Any ideas/feedback?
If you watch Meateater season 7 E6 they are in Prince Of Wales Island hunting for deer. The hunting is slow so they set some shrimp traps and then go fishing. To top it off he snorkels for a bunch of sea cucumbers. If you watch the episode something like that may be something you would love to do and never even knew it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
3 extra days isn’t much time, I’d hang out in Sitka and do some shore fishing for sea run cutties, dolly varden, and pinks. Take a day to hike Mt Verstovia. Enjoy the town then fly home with a bunch of fish. Have fun!

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka is about as tourist filled as you can get. But it’s got good restaurants. And once you are in Sitka, you are there. No roads to get you somewhere else.

Prince of Wales is much more friendly to guys wanting extra time to screw off. A lot of my customers will stay extra days and rent a vehicle to freshwater fish. Some do really well. Lots of different towns to drive too. Craig is the hub of the island.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Glory is dead on. Plus he's THE guy to fish with out of Craig.

As others stated there are some nice hikes around the small road system of Sitka but other than that you'll need a boat to get to any cool spots.

Lingling

FNG
Southeast alaska has forest service cabins available for rent. They are generally pretty nice and reasonable. There is one south of sitka 15 miles or so that would be pretty sublime with some fuel for stove (either gas or kerosene depending on the cabin), food, beverages, and a means of cooking. If you could arrange some kayaks all the better. Your outfitter could probably help you options for a water taxi.