Sitka flash pullover

R_burg

WKR
Because it's windbreak ability is from a laminate, not the outer fabric itself.

Helly Hansen rain gear is always less expensive then rain gear with laminates, as the technology and the fabrics are more expensive. This is just an example but you can find others all over the outdoor sector.

Wether people will see a benefit or not remains to be seen.

The plan I had envisioned is I love the Sitka Jetstream, but it's heavy as sin and not super breathable. With this you can break the 2 parts of the jetstream apart, buy a Sitka core heavyweight and this flash pullover. It's lighter, more versatile and will be warmer as well.

I really like windshells when hiking and recreating when not hunting, as it prolongs the life of my rain gear because that's the only other peace I own that cuts wind. Less exposure to body oils, less exposure to the elements like trees, rocks, my pack straps and so on that can either cause damage or speed up the degradation of my shell.

If whenever you stop and glass no matter what you put your puffy on the. A peace like this is probably useless, but a lot of where I hunt it can be from 40-80 degrees but extremely windy. If I throw a puffy on I will cook in 5 minutes. So enter a light fleece and a wind shell.

I've owned a Squamish for quite awhile and love it, and if your not picky about color you can find them for 100 bucks pretty easy, so yes this better have significant features for the price when comparing the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I do have a place for this in my kit. The Squamish for 150 or less (in green or grey) will probably end up in my pack, unfortunately.

I love Arcteryx but I wanted the Flash. However I will speak with my dollars.

KurtR

WKR
Blowing 30 here today had to go out and fish it kept me as dry as the other guy in the boat with his huk gear on. I was surprised how well it worked I looked like lt. Dan just trying to see how much would take.

Squirrels

WKR
With all due respect, this is an open forum and I would like to share my opinion.

I am a big fan of Sitka, but their camo tax is extreme.

I didn't mean anything harsh by my statement. It was just my opinion as well. Noticed you mentioned Squamish for 150, for 33 more bucks you could have a flash through eBay with the Memorial Day coupon. May not be worth the extra 33 but just thought I'd mention that.

How do you guys think the waterproofness of this compares to the timberline? Both have windstopper membranes and DWR finish. The timberline is 2x the weight @ 15.5 oz vs 7.8 oz. Is the difference only the micro grid fleece backing in the Timberline? On paper thats about all I can figure out.

How do you guys think the waterproofness of this compares to the timberline? Both have windstopper membranes and DWR finish. The timberline is 2x the weight @ 15.5 oz vs 7.8 oz. Is the difference only the micro grid fleece backing in the Timberline? On paper thats about all I can figure out.

Longer zipper, more pockets as well.

ianpadron

WKR
I have the Timberline and have tried on the Flash, Flash is thinner and more "crinkly". The mountain jacket is more of a Timberline minus the hood/fleece.

The Flash is a quarter zip and has velcro closures on the cuffs, the Timberline does not.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
I didn't mean anything harsh by my statement. It was just my opinion as well. Noticed you mentioned Squamish for 150, for 33 more bucks you could have a flash through eBay with the Memorial Day coupon. May not be worth the extra 33 but just thought I'd mention that.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying... That sale put the Flash at 184... but the same sale applies to the Squamish, so 120 or so for that. Which means we are still looking at a 50% or so up charge.

Regardless, I have beat that horse to death. Sitka seems to sell like hot cakes, so I dont think others are as annoyed by the camo-surcharge as I am.

Squirrels

WKR
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying... That sale put the Flash at 184... but the same sale applies to the Squamish, so 120 or so for that. Which means we are still looking at a 50% or so up charge.

Regardless, I have beat that horse to death. Sitka seems to sell like hot cakes, so I dont think others are as annoyed by the camo-surcharge as I am.

I don't disagree on the upcharge issue for camo, if they offered it in a solid I would have bought it that way instead. I prefer solids due to the fact I will actually wear those items other than when hunting. I guess I don't mind paying extra for gear like Sitka, FL, Kifaru, etc for two reasons: 1) they stand behind their products 2) if I decide it's not for me I can sell it without losing a dime if I shop when on sale or used.

The Flash is an interesting piece. Feel wise it is similar to a Cloudburst or Dewpoint rain jacket though a bit quieter and obviously lighter. I can't speak first hand on durability since I haven't tested that. Like Ryan said it is definitely more durable than other outdoor companies windshirts and most of the UL rain jackets on the market. I do feel that if you already own a Dewpoint Jacket or First Lite Vapor Jacket this piece would be somewhat redundant to pack along with those. If you hunt drier climates you could probably get away with just the Flash in place of your rain jacket. I'm almost positive this will be more water resistant than even the Timberline Jacket which sheds water very well for not being "Waterproof".

Definitely curious on your findings up in N. Idaho bear hunting Ryan Avery. Will be waiting for that feedback.
Would you describe it as standard fit?