Sitka flash pullover

bounds

WKR
Haven't seen this one yet, but they made something similar to it a few years ago. I can't remember the name of it though. It had a full zip and was an UL wind layer. No pockets. It was not windstopper.

This one is windstopper and the seams are taped so it's fairly close to what an UL 3 layer rain jacket would feel like I'm assuming. Looking at the pics seems to confirm that. Could be pretty handy if you hunt areas that are always windy but don't see a lot of rain. Even though a taped windstopper piece would be pretty close to waterproof, carrying an UL rain jacket would serve the same purpose blocking wind and be waterproof, so it seems it would be redundant unless you hardly need a rain jacket where you hunt. As I said, I haven't held one or used one, these are just my thoughts from what I've read.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
Yeah , im wondering if its basically a timberline jacket without any grid fleece lining

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've just fondled it at the shot show. But the one thing that jumped out is at 8 oz it feels WAY more durable than say the OR helium ll or Space Rain that last me about a month in the N. Idaho rain forests. Should have one next week. I'm going to test out its rain worthiness this month bear hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bounds

WKR
With the list weight and pictures, I'm assuming it's very similar to that piece from a few years ago. The face fabric is more similar to a rain jacket than a softshell. Probably about half way between the two as far as how it feels. That one did have some stretch to it. I don't see that listed for the Flash so not sure if it will or not. I would think it's pretty different from the hand feel of the Timberline, but I also haven't handled that one either.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
I've just fondled it at the shot show. But the one thing that jumped out is at 8 oz it feels WAY more durable than say the OR helium ll or Space Rain that last me about a month in the N. Idaho rain forests. Should have one next week. I'm going to test out its rain worthiness this month bear hunting.

Do you plan on wearing it just as a rain jacket or an all around jacket? Im looking to grab a few sub alpine items, and am trying to decide between the mountain jacket or this one. I have a timberline jacket in open country which i really like. But i wanted to try a diff piece for SA.

it should be a great addition for this year...we should have a video review coming later this month and we have these in hand.

In the mean time if you need sitka help just let us know...we have some great specials going on now

it should be a great addition for this year...we should have a video review coming later this month and we have these in hand.

In the mean time if you need sitka help just let us know...we have some great specials going on now

Is the outer material similar to the Jetstream jacket, or is it more of a true Windshirt?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's a true wind shirt.

Sr80, it's going to be my rain jacket for early season until proven otherwise, I believe it will be enough. But time will tell.

Last edited:

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
The Flash is an interesting piece. Feel wise it is similar to a Cloudburst or Dewpoint rain jacket though a bit quieter and obviously lighter. I can't speak first hand on durability since I haven't tested that. Like Ryan said it is definitely more durable than other outdoor companies windshirts and most of the UL rain jackets on the market. I do feel that if you already own a Dewpoint Jacket or First Lite Vapor Jacket this piece would be somewhat redundant to pack along with those. If you hunt drier climates you could probably get away with just the Flash in place of your rain jacket. I'm almost positive this will be more water resistant than even the Timberline Jacket which sheds water very well for not being "Waterproof".

Definitely curious on your findings up in N. Idaho bear hunting Ryan Avery. Will be waiting for that feedback.

R_burg

WKR
Very interested in this, but hating the price point. Costs 50% more than the Arcteryx Squamish, but weighs 2+ oz more and only has a half zipper.

Any more hands on feedback?

KurtR

WKR
I got it last week not much for testing so far going out fishing today and see how I like it in the boat going 60 down the water. I had to take the sprinkler and test the water prrofness and that was down right impressive. I think it will keep you dry in anything other than a sustained down pour. Packs really small. The wind likes to blow every now and then here in sodak so I think I will use this alot

That's an expensive piece for what it is.

It's tuff to say, as most windshirts don't use laminates, the fabric themselves is the wind-block, so in theory this should be much more breathable.
Field testing will will be needed to prove that though.

It's also camo, so that naturally comes with a price hike as well.

Squirrels

WKR
A little cheaper through eBay with the current 20% coupon eBay has on outdoor gear through Memorial Day.

R_burg

WKR
It's tuff to say, as most windshirts don't use laminates, the fabric themselves is the wind-block, so in theory this should be much more breathable.
Field testing will will be needed to prove that though.

It's also camo, so that naturally comes with a price hike as well.

Which is kinda BS as it is, but even if that has to be a given, it seems like this is priced well above the windproof shells from non hunting companies.

Which is kinda BS as it is, but even if that has to be a given, it seems like this is priced well above the windproof shells from non hunting companies.

Because it's windbreak ability is from a laminate, not the outer fabric itself.

Helly Hansen rain gear is always less expensive then rain gear with laminates, as the technology and the fabrics are more expensive. This is just an example but you can find others all over the outdoor sector.

Wether people will see a benefit or not remains to be seen.

The plan I had envisioned is I love the Sitka Jetstream, but it's heavy as sin and not super breathable. With this you can break the 2 parts of the jetstream apart, buy a Sitka core heavyweight and this flash pullover. It's lighter, more versatile and will be warmer as well.

I really like windshells when hiking and recreating when not hunting, as it prolongs the life of my rain gear because that's the only other peace I own that cuts wind. Less exposure to body oils, less exposure to the elements like trees, rocks, my pack straps and so on that can either cause damage or speed up the degradation of my shell.

If whenever you stop and glass no matter what you put your puffy on the. A peace like this is probably useless, but a lot of where I hunt it can be from 40-80 degrees but extremely windy. If I throw a puffy on I will cook in 5 minutes. So enter a light fleece and a wind shell.

I've owned a Squamish for quite awhile and love it, and if your not picky about color you can find them for 100 bucks pretty easy, so yes this better have significant features for the price when comparing the two.