Sitka Flash Vs Traditional Windshirt

For those that have used both, how does the Sitka flash compare to a traditional windshirt (BD alpine start, Patagonia Houdini, etc.) in terms of breathability, durability and noise?

i would say it is on par With other wind shirts - wild things and LL bean. Good with wind. Fine with light rain And snow. Seems not taped or sealEd So less good for really wet conditions. Great just in case piece. Not too quiet. On par with a soft shell.

I tend to pack mine when I think there is low chance of needing rain gear. If things got really wet I have a tarp that converts to a poncho or I could cut arm holes in a trash bag.

OP
G
i would say it is on par With other wind shirts - wild things and LL bean. Good with wind. Fine with light rain And snow. Seems not taped or sealEd So less good for really wet conditions. Great just in case piece. Not too quiet. On par with a soft shell.

I tend to pack mine when I think there is low chance of needing rain gear. If things got really wet I have a tarp that converts to a poncho or I could cut arm holes in a trash bag.
Thanks. I currently run an OR tantrum (similar to a Houdini). I’m a big windshirt fan because I tend to run hot so I generally will just hike in a base layer and a windshirt when it’s cold. If I sweat, it will dry quickly and it blocks the wind enough to keep me from getting chilled.

My OR is perfect for that task but the Sitka draws me because of the added water resistance (ie being able to ditch a hardshell in certain conditions) and expecting a little more durability for a minimal weight penalty but I was worried that the Sitka may not serve the niche that my OR is filling for general hiking even when it’s dry

It’s a great wind shirt. If you want camo it’s a great option. If I were doing it again I’d buy a solid just so I would use it more.

FWIW I sized mine up to go over puffy etc. as an outlayer no matter what I was wearing.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the durability? Feel like you could bust some level of brush without tearing it up?
Its a tough material, no worry about tearing for me while tromping around, a little noisy for a deer hunter so I layer over it stops the noise, blocks wind well imo

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be the contrarian here; the Sitka Flash is a nice lightweight rain jacket, but no where near a windshirt as far as breathability is concerned.

If you want a piece for layering over the top static (glassing, break, etc) it will definitely cut the wind and does a pretty good job with light precipitation- much better than any windshirt would.

BUT if you're looking for a layer that involves a lot of moving, you'll find it not much better than wearing a rain jacket as far as breathability goes.

I owned one, gave it a very fair evaluation and then sold it.

I currently own a Patagonia Houdini, a BD Alpine Start and a Patagonia military L4 windshirt- for hunting the more robust fabric Alpine Start or L4 get the nod.

There is definitely a niche for the Flash, but an active outer garment isn't one of those.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be the contrarian here; the Sitka Flash is a nice lightweight rain jacket, but no where near a windshirt as far as breathability is concerned.

If you want a piece for layering over the top static (glassing, break, etc) it will definitely cut the wind and does a pretty good job with light precipitation- much better than any windshirt would.

BUT if you're looking for a layer that involves a lot of moving, you'll find it not much better than wearing a rain jacket as far as breathability goes.

I currently own a Patagonia Houdini, a BD Alpine Start and a Patagonia military L4 windshirt- for hunting the more robust fabric Alpine Start or L4 get the nod.

There is definitely a niche for the Flash, but an active outer garment isn't one of those.
I can agree with that, the few times I've walked long distances with the flash I noticed it does not breathe well, but for the deer hunting I do in treestands that isn't a problem, but if your going long distances there is probably a better breathable option available

Clarktar

WKR
Railrider used to make a great one. They have something called the squall now but I have not used it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^I still think it's a viable piece, as you point out- great for less active stuff; even still hunting you're going slow enough that I think you'd be fine with it. Getting up to near the top of the morning with a headlamp on, trying to beat shooting hours to glass- there are better options :D

As well as it sheds moisture, I think it would make a great lightweight rain jacket when the outlook is relatively good (as in dry), but always a chance of a short storm.

There is no perfect windshirt- if it breathes extremely well, then it likely lacks some in the wind and precipitation protection area and vice versa.

I use mine most for an active layer and need it to breath well, but still providing some relief from wind and light precipitation- tough balancing act

OP
G

Do you find the L4 fabric quiets down over time? I picked up a l4 Patagonia on eBay but my initial reaction is that it seems way too loud to use for bow hunting. My OR tantrum 2 is much quieter (I found it quieter than a Houdini too which is why I bought it originally).

I like the tougher fabric of the L4 as well as the fact that it’s silicone encapsulated instead of the traditional DWR but I just don’t see myself ever grabbing it for a bow hunt unless the fabric gets much quieter with use

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a little quieter (I’ve washed mine a couple of times using Tech Wash), I think my regular Houdini is louder, the Alpine Start a little quieter

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone care to help a guy out and expand on this a bit?

When u say wind shirt. Are you describing a midlayer that is specifically made to block the wind? While still allow some ability to move moisture away from the body across layers?

Cause I am in the market for midlayer that blocks wind. As I get older, finding sitting on stand for 6hrs in sub 25degree weather with a constant wind isn't as tolerable as it used to be.

I have a killer, solid wool windbreaker combo from like the 80s that is bomb proof, but the thing weighs like 6#s and get way to hot on your trek in.

OP
G
Anyone care to help a guy out and expand on this a bit?

When u say wind shirt. Are you describing a midlayer that is specifically made to block the wind? While still allow some ability to move moisture away from the body across layers?

Cause I am in the market for midlayer that blocks wind. As I get older, finding sitting on stand for 6hrs in sub 25degree weather with a constant wind isn't as tolerable as it used to be.

I have a killer, solid wool windbreaker combo from like the 80s that is bomb proof, but the thing weighs like 6#s and get way to hot on your trek in.
That’s right though there are many differences between them. To most guys a “windshirt” is a lightweight (less than 10ish ounces) nylon jacket that blocks wind and light precip and drys quickly while breathing relatively well. Popular ones tend to be the Patagonia Houdini (4-5 ounces but kinda loud for hunting), and black diamond alpine start.

A windshirt is probably my most versatile piece because I can wear it over a baselayer while moving when it’s too warm for a fleece midlayer and can layer it with the fleece to effectively create a softshell. In my mind, carrying a windshirt and a fleece is like carrying a softshell but it’s generally lighter or the same weight and more versatile than a single softshell. Albeit they tend to be louder than a dedicated softshell

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d say the Ferrosi is quieter, but I ended up selling my Ferrosi as it didn’t breathe that well