Sitka frustrations

So I was really looking forward to getting some of the new Sitka stuff. I was going to order the new dewpoint jacket, shooter gloves and stormfront gaitors. They've had the gaiters and gloves in stock for a while now and after talking with the rep I decided to wait for the dewpoint. I have been waiting for over a month now and it finially came out, except not in my size WTF. After finially gettinga rep on the phone, hard to do with sitka, he said they sold out to retailers before they had any stock and will not be available for this year through thier website. Only a big deal because I get 40% if I order through the website. To make it worse they upped the price on the gaiters from 80 to 99$ and the gloves from 39 to 49$. So with the combination of how dificult is always is to ge ahold of a rep, no stock, and price jump I think I'm done with Sitka. On a positive note I called kuiu and got ahold of someone right away ,everytime I call actually, and they are sending me a chugach jacket :) I heard the stromfront gaiters were loud as hell anyway. Im thinking of going kenetrek or OR verglas gaiters, if only kuiu would have released a brown or vias gaitor. Vent/rant over, Thanks

muleman

WKR
I love my Kuiu gear too. However they are experiencing growing pains and don't have deep stock and are frequently out of stock on items. I will continue to purchase Kuiu and purchase my gear well in advance. On the gaiter front, I have been on a list for gaiters since last year, and I will continue to wait for my vias gaiters to arrive, hopefully around August.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I sold all of my used Sitka gear and outfitted myself with Kuiu almost entirely. Right now they're having 25% off all solid color outerwear, so if you're not tied to camo you can get some great deals. I'll second that if you don't get it while it's in stock, it may take awhile, but it's worth the wait.

Lawnboi

WKR
I saw a price increase in everything of thiers as well. I still want a few of thier pieces that kuiu dosnt have yet.

Every time i call kuiu i talk to a real person, right away. Another reason i didnt go with sitka, iv read horror stories like this of trying to deal with them.

25%off outerwear at kuiu jump on it!!!!

billy molls

Super Moderator
I have yet to try an y Kuiu gear, but www.captivatemoutdoors.com is the place to get Sitka, gear, and much more. Mike Monnin is the owner and he and I have become very good friends. I send all my Alaska hunters to him, and they all rave about his service. You will talk to him. He lives in Barrow, Alaska and hunts all over the U.S. You will never pay MSRP, and he gives free shipping, and his service CANNOT be beat. He carries Firstlite, Montbell, Stika, Kennetrek, Lathrop and Sons, Hilleberg, Kifaru, and Swarovski.

So I was really looking forward to getting some of the new Sitka stuff. They've had the gaiters and gloves in stock for a while now and after talking with the rep I decided to wait for the dewpoint. I have been waiting for over a month now and it finially came out, except not in my size WTF. After finially gettinga rep on the phone, hard to do with sitka, he said they sold out to retailers before they had any stock and will not be available for this year through thier website. Only a big deal because I get 40% if I order through the website. To make it worse they upped the price on the gaiters from 80 to 99$ and the gloves from 39 to 49$. So with the combination of how dificult is always is to ge ahold of a rep, no stock, and price jump I think I'm done with Sitka. Vent/rant over, Thanks

You experience is WAY different than mine. Sitka has been good about answering my questions, and since they went to a local (Alaska) pro rep this year, I get even more prompt service. I pre-ordered a Dewpoint, and it shipped on June 1st, just like they said it would. Although the Sitka website is sometimes sold out of certain stock (especially by spring), it has nearly always been better than Kuiu.

They also have been pretty stellar in my experience about standing behind damaged or broken gear.

Yk,

PS, check your discount. It should be better than you mention.

OP
pyroducksx3
You experience is WAY different than mine. Sitka has been good about answering my questions, and since they went to a local (Alaska) pro rep this year, I get even more prompt service. I pre-ordered a Dewpoint, and it shipped on June 1st, just like they said it would. Although the Sitka website is sometimes sold out of certain stock (especially by spring), it has nearly always been better than Kuiu.

They also have been pretty stellar in my experience about standing behind damaged or broken gear.

Yk,

PS, check your discount. It should be better than you mention.

The discount is great, not complaining about that. And they never gave me an option to pre-order? You must have ordered it in a large or medium? I was really looking forward to using sitka, I believe they do have great gear but I couldn't get them on them phone. It would take 3 days for them to call me back and I would miss the call because I was busy and then it was this phone tag game and at first the email reply was prompt now I havent heard back on one and its been more than a few days, not what I expect out of a company. The disount was the only reason I was even considering them. I think their stuff is way overpriced and I would never pay thier retail. I hope kuiu keeps their buisness model going. I dont mind the stock issue as much as I can get it I just have to order it when it comes in, sitka told me they were out, never got any in for themselves and wont be making anymore till next year.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I will agree its a pain in the a@@ to get a live person on the phone. There clothing is good, there markup is huge. That is why I have spent my money on Kuiu and first lite. Plus you can get a person on the phone when you have a problem.

The discount is great, not complaining about that. And they never gave me an option to pre-order? You must have ordered it in a large or medium?

I got an email from Sitka saying that pre-order was going to be an option this year, and then a follow up email from the regional rep with the details. All sizes appeared to be available at that point. Ship date was listed as June 1st, and I got an email from Fed-Ex saying it hit their facility that morning.

All that being said, I tend to agree that the retail prices are pretty brutal. Essentially all the Sitka I have was bought on end of season sales or some other type of discount. Considering they are owned by WL Gore, you would think that at least the raingear prices would a little more in line with other manufactures.

Yk

We stopped selling the SITKA line because they simply weren't ordering in enough inventory so that when we have to order more stuff in after our original order they were always out of stock.

I have nothing but good things to say about KUIU and First Lite. The two companies I wear and use now. Every time I call I get someone right away. Stock is better, prices are better, clothing is a better product and cut in my opinion.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also interested in getting a "shell" layer for my hunting clothing. Alot of my hunting has been in the desert regions of CA with stable weather conditions. I will start hunting in other western states and need a shell layer for rain/snow and wind. I have a shell layer system for backpacking and camping from rei and very pleased with them. From this thread it looks like people are pleased with Kuiu gear. Sitka is more $$ and seems to have more components. I'd like someting light and simple but still offers protection from the weather. Cabelas also has several models, any reviews for them? What model jacket and pants from Kuiu is recommended for a simple shell jacket?

OP
pyroducksx3
For a waterproff shell kuiu only offers the Chugach jacket and Chugach pants. If you dont mind solids they are on a 25% off sale right now, dropping the price from 299 to 224 (I think) for the jacket, so now is the time. Im a sucker for camo and just ordered the Chugach in vias even though the solids were on sale. I have thier guide, jacket, guide hat, spindrift in the vias aleady so I had too ;)

Jager

WKR
Thanks for the link Billy, but how do you purchase products through their site, there is no provision to do so?

billy molls

Super Moderator
Hey Jager, would would have to call Mike. His cell number in on the site. Mention that you are a Rokslider, and he will give you an extra discount. If you need something hard to find, he will track it down for you. I think everyone has the same thing going on with Sitka, but that is one of his services. You tell him what you want, if he doesn't have it in stock, he will get it for you. I am sure you could do it by email as well, as I just noticed you are from Australia.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rokslide Sponsor

Let's not forget our Rokslide sponsor Story Creek inc. Mike is very competitively priced and carries top notch gear. Plus he is a hell of a good guy!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows