Sitka Gear Camp Hoody

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got one of these new Hoodys from Sitka Last week.
Camp Hoody [NEW] | SITKA Gear

Its one of several pieces in Sitka's new Travel line. I've used it pretty much non stop since I got it. So far its a great layer, fits well, and is very comfortable. Biggest gripe is the chest pocket. I have a Samsung Note 8 phone in an Otterbox Case and it just won't fit. I think this hoody is well named, and will be a great outdoor adventure style shirt. Be a good layering piece to throw on while sitting or glassing as well. So far I am pretty happy with it.

The wool / ploy blend makes it a nice layering shirt for casual wear, as it has a smooth clean looking finish. I've seen merino blend hoodys before, but none that fit like a sweatshirt, yet still look nice enough to wear in casual office setting.

Its a commitment at $169, but the comparable jackets / hoodys (material & Features) I looked at were in the ballpark, and there are always sales if one is patient.

I was just poking around looking for reviews on this jacket/hoody and you are about the only one to say anything about it that I have found so far. Theres not even any reviews on it at various websites like black ovis or sitka's own site. I just ordered one with the Ebay 15% off sale to travel with for a few trips I have coming up to Alaska and another vacation. Hoping this will be perfect to chop the chill off, but not be too bulky for a back pack and wearing on planes.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BW that is exactly how I am using mine; LOVE it!

0b454e35b16a732d5ed95a0e32be3c37.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Going through my musk ox trip pics. Takes the chill out of the changeover at the gravel airstrips in rural Alaska and makes the less than luxurious cabins on the smaller airlines comfy.

34e27252523783a7035d0fa6f0f1c174.jpg

Hoody arrived yesterday, it’s perfect for what I wanted. Out of the packaging it’s like your most comfortable zip up hooded sweatshirt you’ve ever had, but with technical materials. The fit is perfect, sleeve length is good, the hood is functional.

I got one of these new Hoodys from Sitka Last week.
Camp Hoody [NEW] | SITKA Gear

Its one of several pieces in Sitka's new Travel line. I've used it pretty much non stop since I got it. So far its a great layer, fits well, and is very comfortable. Biggest gripe is the chest pocket. I have a Samsung Note 8 phone in an Otterbox Case and it just won't fit. I think this hoody is well named, and will be a great outdoor adventure style shirt. Be a good layering piece to throw on while sitting or glassing as well. So far I am pretty happy with it.

The wool / ploy blend makes it a nice layering shirt for casual wear, as it has a smooth clean looking finish. I've seen merino blend hoodys before, but none that fit like a sweatshirt, yet still look nice enough to wear in casual office setting.

Its a commitment at $169, but the comparable jackets / hoodys (material & Features) I looked at were in the ballpark, and there are always sales if one is patient.

How would you compare it's weight and warmth to their Core Heavyweight?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting comparison.. They fit differently so that sort of affects the warmth, IMO. My core HW is the 3/4 zip top. It fits fairly close and is quite warm. The camp hoody fits looser, and is a full zip. I think they are similar, but I have very different uses for the two, so hard to compare them as one vs. the other... I will have to take a dive down that road before I could make a more detailed comparison.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does not have a windproof membrane, but being heavier in weight it blocks wind as well as any mid weight layer will. It basically a really nice sweatshirt that is comfortable, breathes well, looks sharp, and keeps you warm. I like the material in that it can go a while without needing to be washed and its warm to weight ratio is nice.

I coach a middle school cross country program. Between that, dog training, and the bird season kicking off I have spent a lot of time outdoors the last few months. Its a great piece of kit for those activities. Lots of stop and go, changing temps, and varying weather. Love having the hood and the ability to zip or unzip as needed.

Mule Deer season for me starts this weekend and I head out next week. I'll know more after a few days around camp and in the woods as the exertion level will go up and the temps will go down.