Sitka gear

Am842

FNG
I am getting ready to place a very large Sitka gear order. I have nowhere close to me to try on the garments and that is one of my biggest concerns.

They have a massive amount of products it seems and I’m trying to narrow down what I want from them.

What I do know I want (I think) is a fanatic jacket and bib set. I mostly hunt in the mountains of eastern tin/Southwest VA and the weather here can have large temperature swings. Typical deer weather is 20-45, though we do get the occasional late season days in the single digits at morning.

How does the fanatic set fit? I’m 6’4” and 240. I generally wear a XL in most clothes. My jeans waist size is a 36-38 depending on the cut.

Also, I will take the occasional trip to the Midwest for a late October/early November for a bow hunt. I have no plans to travel west for elk or muley.

If there is something different you would recommend for that I’m all ears!

You’ll want XXL in both.

I’m 5’11, 240lbs and with my tree trunk legs, have XXL fanatic bibs and an XL fanatic jacket.

If I was buying this type of gear again, I’d keep the jacket, but go with the stratus bibs. They are more versatile throughout the season and if you are walking any longer than 10 minutes to get to your spot, the fanatic bibs are too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a 34/35 inseam. I have a crap load of sitka stuff from whitetail and big game. Please feel free to PM with any specific questions. I'll give some examples though

I definitely carry a lot of my height in my torso. XXL is usually quite billowy on me. Like the heavy weight zip t in XXL was comically large but the XL fits like a true XLT. Many of their shirts have generous lengths. At 6'4" you might be able to get away with XL in jackets, but some do run short like the Jetstream and mountain. Sitka let's you exchange Any of their products directly through them, even if you didn't buy it from them, as an FYI

Jackets/shirts with tall sizing: XLT
Jackets without tall size: XXL
Shirts without tall size: XL
Mountain / timberline Pants: 38T
Equinox Pants 36T
Fanatic Bibs/stratus pants: XLT

Last edited:
OP
A

Am842

FNG
Thanks guys for the info so far. I think it looks like I should do 2X on fanatic and maybe XLT on the fanatic bib. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

Craftydoc

FNG
I'm 6' 200# and the large Sitka stuff fits me great. If I was any bigger, I would definitely need to size up to an XL.
I know you're referring mostly to Sitka, but it may be worth looking at the Uncompahgre stuff from First Lite or the Lost Park stuff from Kifaru. I've used the Uncompahgre for stand hunting and was happy with it. It was louder than the fanatic stuff, but honestly, if you're moving that much, you're going to spook whitetails based on the movement alone and the sound won't matter anyways.

I'm only familiar with the big game line sizing, and it's pretty small/fitted in general.

Because you said you mostly hunt the mountains, i'll point out that the whitetail line is bulky/heavy in general and not ideal for walking/packing. Should work fine if you are ok with lashing it onto a pack and carrying in on any long walks.

OP
A

Am842

FNG
I’m wondering what would be the next warmest set to the fanatic suit.

I do hunt in the mountains but it’s all treestand hunting and easy access/atv stuff. No stalking or moving much.

I’m wondering what would be the next warmest set to the fanatic suit.

I do hunt in the mountains but it’s all treestand hunting and easy access/atv stuff. No stalking or moving much.

in the whitetail line that would be the incinerator. There is a similar suit in the big game line, pretty much the same with their western camo patterns.

OP
A

Am842

FNG
in the whitetail line that would be the incinerator. There is a similar suit in the big game line, pretty much the same with their western camo patterns.

maybe I worded my question wrong. I would assume incinerator to be their absolute warmest. Then next down would be fanatic and then the next down from that is what I was wondering.

I guess maybe I’m better to ask this way.

I am looking at this:
Heavyweight merino base layers
Fanatic or heavyweight hoody
Possible stratus jacket or fanatic jacket
*If going with stratus adding the fanatic vest as the final layer when coldest.

I’m beginning to think the stratus and the fanatic vest layers might be my best option just to be more flexible.

I hate to ask so many questions, I just can’t lay hands on the stuff and with it’s price I want to do my part to make sure I’m getting what I want/need.

maybe I worded my question wrong. I would assume incinerator to be their absolute warmest. Then next down would be fanatic and then the next down from that is what I was wondering.

I guess maybe I’m better to ask this way.

I am looking at this:
Heavyweight merino base layers
Fanatic or heavyweight hoody
Possible stratus jacket or fanatic jacket
*If going with stratus adding the fanatic vest as the final layer when coldest.

I’m beginning to think the stratus and the fanatic vest layers might be my best option just to be more flexible.

I hate to ask so many questions, I just can’t lay hands on the stuff and with it’s price I want to do my part to make sure I’m getting what I want/need.

Oh my bad I read that wrong. You're right though, the stratus would be the next warmest before fanatic. It has wind blocker, but there is no insulation in either jacket or pants. I've heard of alot of people pairing the stratus jacket with the fanatic vest. The pants have enough room for a puffy layer underneath as well..

bozeman

WKR
Stratus --> Fanatic --> Incinerator (I'm 99% sure) on the warmth.....I will say this, I sit 'cold' and the Fanatic is WARM, do NOT walk to the stand in it. :)

I'm 5'9 175 and a Medium fits well.

2531usmc

WKR
I bow hunt in Maryland and for late winter I wear a fanatic jacket with stratus bibs. I can wear the bibs from October through the end of January and layer underneath as required. For me, the stratus bibs with the wind stopper is my favorite and most flexible piece of Sitka clothing.

OP
A

Am842

FNG
I bow hunt in Maryland and for late winter I wear a fanatic jacket with stratus bibs. I can wear the bibs from October through the end of January and layer underneath as required. For me, the stratus bibs with the wind stopper is my favorite and most flexible piece of Sitka clothing.
Okay, I think I’m leaning towards a set of stratus gear. If I feel I need to add fanatic or incinerator later on I will.

now…we’ve talked for on the fanatic…should I do XLT on the stratus stuff or XXL?

mom 6’4” and my weight is around 230-240 usually.

2531usmc

WKR
I’m 6’2” and 235 lbs. I wear a XL for both the bibs and the jacket. The bibs are cut loose to allow layers of insulation underneath. I’ve never so much insulation on under the bibs that they were tight or binding.

OP
A

Am842

FNG
I’m 6’2” and 235 lbs. I wear a XL for both the bibs and the jacket. The bibs are cut loose to allow layers of insulation underneath. I’ve never so much insulation on under the bibs that they were tight or binding.
Perfect! Thanks!

last question. How does the XL jacket fit? Would I be able to layer heavyweight Merino and maybe the heavyweight hoody under and the fanatic vest over?

2531usmc

WKR
Depending on the temperature, I would wear a traverse zip T, a fanatic hoody and maybe a jetstream vest under the stratus jacket. Once it got too cold for that, I switched over to the fanatic jacket.

i loved the stratus jacket and bibs for the very wide temperature range I could wear them in. I found the stratus pants of limited value for tree stand use

OP
A

Am842

FNG
Depending on the temperature, I would wear a traverse zip T, a fanatic hoody and maybe a jetstream vest under the stratus jacket. Once it got too cold for that, I switched over to the fanatic jacket.

i loved the stratus jacket and bibs for the very wide temperature range I could wear them in. I found the stratus pants of limited value for tree stand use
Perfect. I appreciate your input very much!

bozeman

WKR
I should mention I wear Timberline pants, Sitka LW hoodie and then put on the Fanatic jacket when I get to my stand. But I’m also in Bama, so much further south.

Craftydoc

FNG
Stratus --> Fanatic --> Incinerator (I'm 99% sure) on the warmth.....I will say this, I sit 'cold' and the Fanatic is WARM, do NOT walk to the stand in it. :)

I'm 5'9 175 and a Medium fits well.
That's my understanding of the system progression as well. I walk out in as little as possible and want to still be cold when I get there. That way I'm not letting my sweat make me cold once I stop moving.