Sitka Gear

tduex

FNG
I’m looking at purchasing some Sitka gear, but I relatively unfamiliar with how good the products are. I live in Wisconsin and do a lot of public land whitetail hunting which requires some walking to get to my spots. I also plan on starting to go hunting out west every year.

My question is how will the big game (open country or subalpine) fare with tree stand hunting? I’m drawn to the big game series because of its athletic fit and lack of bulk, but I’m unsure of how it will perform as far staying warm in a tree stand goes.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I think Sitka makes the best gear on the market, but the big game line is not going to be the best for that. Its designed for mountain hunting where you are always moving and covering 8-10 miles a day with short breaks. I use mine for some tree stand hunting as well, but I live in TX about 50 miles from the coast, so I'm battling heat more often than anything on my long walks in on public land.

They have a line that is built specifically for the treestand hunter (elevated, I think). I don't own any of it b/c it's overkill for where I hunt, but I hear great things about it. Might look into picking up some of that and Just planning to pack it in and dress at your stand.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I think that Sitka gear is well made, but expensive. I have about $2000 worth, and cover most everything from warm early season to snowy late season. I hunt Elk at elevation (8000 to 10000 feet). My pattern is Open Country. If the majority of your hunting is from a tree stand, "Elevated" pattern is more suited for that. I find the gear well worth the $$, but many do not. Every piece I have, or have handled are well-made, and seem to be first quality. I did find some of their items seem to run small, so if you can find a place that stocks it, go in and try it on.

I have and use some Sitka for northeast whitetail hunting in NY and PA. Open country and subalpine. None of the deer seem to mind the patterns. While still hunting, I have been quite close to deer and foxes wearing subalpine and they didn’t seem to register my shape as a threat.

For stand sitting you are going to need to layer a bit and at very close range, I don’t think the big game stuff is the quietest option. My kelvin jacket and hoodie keep me plenty warm but they are noisy for bow hunting distance. If I was in box blinds or in a tree stand at rifle distance, I don’t think it would matter at all.

I did More tree stand bow hunting this year, which led me To think about something more purpose built for that style of hunting. I didn’t want to drop the $ on the Sitka stuff so after looking for a post Season Deal on cabelas type stuff, I bought a set of first lite bibs and a jacket for next year for both warmth and noise.

SWOHTR

WKR
Well worth it, ESP the western patterns. It's not so much so they don't see you as it is to keep you alive and dry/cool with varying mountain conditions. I'm from WI as well and have done a fair bit of stand hunting. You can probably get by with lesser gear there, but if your budget allows get one eastern and one western system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once you start down the Sitka path, it can become an addiction...

Similarly with First Lite and Kuiu. Personally I prefer FL a little more for Midwest whitetails. Their Woodbury jacket is my favorite late season for the stand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’m looking at purchasing some Sitka gear, but I relatively unfamiliar with how good the products are. I live in Wisconsin and do a lot of public land whitetail hunting which requires some walking to get to my spots. I also plan on starting to go hunting out west every year.

My question is how will the big game (open country or subalpine) fare with tree stand hunting? I’m drawn to the big game series because of its athletic fit and lack of bulk, but I’m unsure of how it will perform as far staying warm in a tree stand goes.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I use it for whitetail in Michigan. It works good. You just need to layer. I like to layer whether im hunting out west or home in Michigan.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I do way more eastern tree stand hunting than western, although in warm weather. I have some Sitka outer layers and a bunch of first lite. I love having a system of layers that are extremely comfortable in any weather I encounter.

I think the first lite system is a little more versatile, while Sitka is more specialized. Both are very well made, but I’d give Sitka the edge on fit/finish/quality.

At the end of the day, first lite is better for me because I deer, turkey and western hunt and I can do all 3 in fusion.

Thanks

Sitka has a ton pieces in their open country line or subalpine that can be layered to cover just about any temps. I have some guys here in nc they refuse to wear the ev2 stuff and go with all big game stuff to cover all of their hunting. It is an investment but their gear is top notch and they do stand behind it. If you need help wading thru it all or need pricing we will be glad to help...we do ship for free as well.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings from Oshkosh! I hunt around Oshkosh, Chilton, and over by Sparta. I have actually had pretty good luck bow hunting from a tree using the open country stuff. It seems to work just fine. The only drawback is the lower temps in the late season, but you can layer under your camo with a primaloft jacket & pants with primaloft pants and jackets from cabelas or 'LL bean to address that issue.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get caught up with the pattern. I've killed plenty of deer in every Sitka pattern since Mountain Mimicry. Put your stand in the right place with good back cover.

Look at the Elevated 2 line for stand hunting. It was designed for that purpose. It's all about the right layers for the conditions. The descriptions on the Sitka website are good will point you in the right direction.

Western spot and stalk hunting requires some different clothing functions. not necessarily patterns. You will see that sub alpine and open country lines function differently than EV2.

Sitka is high quality gear designed by hunters that understand the small details. I like it because it fits me really well and is comfortable. I appreciate where and how the zippers are placed and little things like the built in facemasks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They make good stuff, I’m mostly in KUIU these days but I have a fair bit of Sitka stuff I pull out for sheep hunts, I can’t help with the tree stand question but I can say that Sitka stuff is nice.

RAPTOR

WKR
Their whitetail line is awesome. Stratus jacket and pants will get you from late october into the winter when layered properly. Once it gets below 30, I break out the Fanatic gear. You won't want to hike in the fanatic stuff, but it is warm as hell for sitting. The pockets and diagonal zipper design is great. Any specific questions I can probably answer if you want.

I don’t think the pattern makes a bit of difference, really. There aren’t many patterns that I haven’t worn at one time or another and they’ve all worked to kill animals. Sitka gear may not be your best option for the very coldest days of the late season in a tree stand but for 90+% of the time, Sitka will have something that will work for you. I can load up on my base layer and an insulating layer and be warm enough in any situation I’ve hunted but I know there are some places/situations out there where I’d only be comfortable in a heater suit. Other than those rare occasions, I love the freedom of movement I get from clothing from companies like Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka and others. Once you get into some we’ll cut, high performance hunting gear it’s nearly impossible to wear anything else.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It is very well thought out clothing. They are quite comfortable and I piece random lines and camo patterns and had a bobcat about 7 yards away this past September and did not know I was there. I found various layers from different websites that had sales and clearance items. I suggest finding a good base layer that you will always where or at least I do from turkeys to 75* September days and 20* December days. Foundation is key to anything and Sitka (I would suspect other high quality brands as well) is set up for layering so you buy all the same size and it works together great without restriction of movement. The old grinder pants are as comfortable as any pants I have ever worn so watch out because you will want more than one.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks

In my personal opinion I would recommend the subalpine pattern. We have had a lot of people from that area that both white tail hunt and big game hunt and they love it. I also use it as well for both because I like the athletic fit. I do have the elevated 2 pattern as well and I love it, but if you're looking for a pattern that can do both it would be the subalpine pattern. Sitka is all about a layering system so if your layering is correct then you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

Last edited: