Sitka Great: 90% vs. Ascent vs. Mountain vs. Timberline

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I just spent 10 days in the Utah mountains. I got packed in by horse so could take a bit of extra gear. I alternated between Ascent and Mountain pants. In all but the warmest weather, I found I liked the Mountain pants and their wonderful built in knee pads just a bit better. They are a bit heavier, but still stretch with you as you climb. I have a set of Timberline, but they will come out for sheep hunts or Mountain Lion later this year. I believe the waterproof knee and butt will come in handy.

Bighorse

WKR
I prefer the Accent vs the Timberline. I think the Timberline holds water way too much! Once it gets wet your loosing heat fast. Then when you stop for camp to dry it's not gonna dry well in a cool humid enviroment. I use Kuiu attack pants too for the same reason as Sitka Accent. Moisture management is crucial where I hunt. I havce a pair of 90% in the mail. The older model I had of 90% was too bulky for climbing purposes. When it comes to layering you don't want your main pant to be bulky. My legs are ripping off some heat and moisture when in the forest.

From a personal taste standpoint.....the butt on the Timberline is stupid looking.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I use the ascents. Super comfortable, light and tough. If it is cold I wear a pair of long johns or UA tights underneath. Wish they were a little more water-resistant... they don't seem to shed water well. Would love to buy and try something else too but a guy can only buy so many $150+ pairs of pants!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
All 3 have their place depending on weather. Ascents are great for early season. And between the two others, I would go with timberline.

I was once in the same boat , and I can say that timberline are the best pants out there in my book. I also have a pair of ascent and are very thin don't use them too much . I make my timberlines work from sept - dec ! Call the guys at 1 shot gear they will help you out

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an FYI, for 2015 the Timberline tall sizes start at 32! As these pants tend to run on the shorter size (a 32" waist is a 31" inseam) I am excited to try out a 32T. I am going to run them and the new KUIU Alpine pant (whenever my back order ships) and see how they compare against my Sitka Mountain Pants.