Sitka Great: 90% vs. Ascent vs. Mountain vs. Timberline

shanevg

WKR
I'm looking to get some Sitka Gear pants soon and am trying to decide between the different options. I've worn the 90% pants before and was very happy with them but can't decide between the options on the other three. Anyone have any insight from their experiences?

Thanks!

ascent are very lightweight, for me theyre great and i can get away with a wide range of temps paired with longjohns. the legs roll up and button in place for makeshift shorts.
i have not used others....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the ascents, mountain pants, and 90%.

Out of those, my favorites are the Kuiu Attack. :)

I really like the Ascents best of the Sitka pants.

I brought a pair of Ascents to AK, but they stayed in the bag the whole trip. I liked the Attacks so much better, I cleaned the blood out of them by putting them under rocks in a stream and then letting them air dry, so I could wear them the next day.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
... I liked the Attacks so much better, I cleaned the blood out of them by putting them under rocks in a stream and then letting them air dry, so I could wear them the next day.

I did the same thing with a pair of Luke's attack pants on our second sheep hunt this season, and was amazed how fast they dried over the brush. Considering that the fabric feels heavier weight than many other options out there I was surprised when it dried completely in a couple hours, only a little longer than the merino t shirt I was also drying...

Too bad kuiu hasn't seen fit to make some attack pants for women, I would order in a heart beat...try as I might I can't make even their smallest size fit me :)

Too bad kuiu hasn't seen fit to make some attack pants for women, I would order in a heart beat...try as I might I can't make even their smallest size fit me :)

lynzie has been wanting some womens kuiu real bad as well

as for the attack pants, i have not worn them hunting but tried some on and they seemed awful heavy to me...?

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got to say, i think the timberlines are the most innovative pants out there right now. I really wanted to get some after i saw them, but unfortunatly i already bought a pair of guide pants for my colder weather pant.

The timberline pant is about the same fabric as the mtn pant, which is inbetween the ascent and 90%. The seat and knees are both covered with waterproof material which would be really nice. Good features on the timberlines if they fit you good. I will likly get a pair when my guide pants go.... or I may even sell the guides.

Why dont more companies do this? If kuiu put an extra layer on the knees on there pants like the timberlines i think they would be dang near perfect.

Attacks are also a good in between pant, id compare them to the sitka mtn and timberline in thickness. KUIU's DWR is unbeatable! They are also very comfortable. And dry faster than anything iv worn.

Both sitka and kuiu cuts fit me good, and honestly when i do need new pants..... ill be getting sitka timberlines because i like the features of padded knees or if you dont want the padding there is alteast twice the material. Im curious to see what kind of additional features KUIU starts throwing on there pants.

I wouldnt even consider the 90% pant. Id rather get the guide pant by kuiu if i want something a little warmer. I dont care much for sitkas 90% stuff.

For you ladies and skinny guys like me. KUIU did make a run of 30 inch waist pants. They fit me absolutely perfect (32 is a little big but doable) They are even on sale right now in thier outlet.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Lawnboi,

Did you tear out your Attack knees? I am surprised at the chit I have ran my Attacks through without so much as a running thread. They have been quite durable for me.

OP
shanevg

shanevg

WKR
Iv got to say, i think the timberlines are the most innovative pants out there right now. I really wanted to get some after i saw them, but unfortunatly i already bought a pair of guide pants for my colder weather pant.

The timberline pant is about the same fabric as the mtn pant, which is inbetween the ascent and 90%. The seat and knees are both covered with waterproof material which would be really nice. Good features on the timberlines if they fit you good. I will likly get a pair when my guide pants go.... or I may even sell the guides.

Why dont more companies do this? If kuiu put an extra layer on the knees on there pants like the timberlines i think they would be dang near perfect.

Attacks are also a good in between pant, id compare them to the sitka mtn and timberline in thickness. KUIU's DWR is unbeatable! They are also very comfortable. And dry faster than anything iv worn.

Both sitka and kuiu cuts fit me good, and honestly when i do need new pants..... ill be getting sitka timberlines because i like the features of padded knees or if you dont want the padding there is alteast twice the material. Im curious to see what kind of additional features KUIU starts throwing on there pants.

I wouldnt even consider the 90% pant. Id rather get the guide pant by kuiu if i want something a little warmer. I dont care much for sitkas 90% stuff.

For you ladies and skinny guys like me. KUIU did make a run of 30 inch waist pants. They fit me absolutely perfect (32 is a little big but doable) They are even on sale right now in thier outlet.

Why don't you like the 90% pants? My dad and brother both have the 90% and seem to like them which is why I was originally leaning that direction.

ckleeves

WKR
I will throw in my .02 and say that I love 90% pants. I have owned all the Sitka pants except the timberline and my favorite are the 90's. Ascent seem to not be real durable, and the mountain pants I had were the weirdest cut pant I have ever seen. I'm tall and skinny and the thighs and calves were so tight it was uncomfortable to hike all day in them but the seat was very large I looked like some sort of umpa lumpa on stilts. The Kuiu attacks are pretty sweet too this was my second year in them and I'm pretty impressed with the durability and comfort of them.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawnboi,

Did you tear out your Attack knees? I am surprised at the chit I have ran my Attacks through without so much as a running thread. They have been quite durable for me.

no havnt burnt out a knee, more of a precaution thing than anything. I havnt used them enough to blow a knee yet. Im very happy with my attack pants though, definetly nice pants. A little bit of fraying on the knee is all i have so far. Although im thinking of starting to wear kneepads.

Lawnboi

WKR
Why don't you like the 90% pants? My dad and brother both have the 90% and seem to like them which is why I was originally leaning that direction.

I shouldnt say i didnt like them... more along the lines of that the timberlines are basically the same weight (almost) with the exception of the timberlines having alot of nice features for colder weather hunting. There also priced very similar.

What time of the year you will be wearing these will also determine whats better. For 1 pant to do it all I think the timberlines or kuiu attacks cant be beat.

For the record i havnt used the timberlines..... just looked at and tryed them on. The 90%, and ascents i have used.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
with what you do shane i think you'll love the accent pants. i wear them as deep in to the season as i can until the cold forces me to pull out the 90% i have no experience with the other 2

personally i cant see a time where id want to use a pant as heavy as timberline or 90% or guide while hiking? my ascent pants and long johns do well for that. now when i stop to glass thats a different story but that would be more towards a kelvin pant if they made a light version or a spindrift pant...

OP
shanevg

shanevg

WKR
I will throw in my .02 and say that I love 90% pants. I have owned all the Sitka pants except the timberline and my favorite are the 90's. Ascent seem to not be real durable, and the mountain pants I had were the weirdest cut pant I have ever seen. I'm tall and skinny and the thighs and calves were so tight it was uncomfortable to hike all day in them but the seat was very large I looked like some sort of umpa lumpa on stilts. The Kuiu attacks are pretty sweet too this was my second year in them and I'm pretty impressed with the durability and comfort of them.

That sounds like a major problem for me. I have gigantic thighs with all the CrossFit I do.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have used the 90%, the Ascent, and the Mountain pants. I use the Ascent most of the time as I'm primarily a bowhunter and hunt early seasons a lot. They are awesome and the most comfortable pant for hiking I've ever used. They are surprisingly tough and bust brush fairly well for how light they are. They are much tougher than they "feel". The 90% are great for cool weather and when layered underneath are my usual choice for late season hunts. I used them on my sheep hunt last year extensively. We had temps from the teens to the 50's and I was always comfortable. The Mountain Pants are perfect when you need abrasion resistance as they are a bit tougher. I like the removable knee pads and waterproof seat material. Good choice when stalking (crawling) in rocky country. With those three pants, the Western hunter could cover just about any situation.

bbrown

WKR
I feel like I have all the bases covered with a set of the mountain pants for most everything and a set of the celcius bibs for the later/colder hunts. I did pick up a pair of the Kuiu Attack pants which I find myself going to more often when its warm. As far as fit of the mountain pants, I played hockey for too many years so my legs/thighs are fairly built and the mountain pants fit me great.
If you move a bunch I would get either the accent or mountain pants so you can layer without warming up too much.

ckleeves

WKR
They may have changed the cut of them or I just had a pair that slipped through CC. I don't know how they expected some one to have that big of an a$$ and that small of thighs and calves. Mine were 34x34 or large tall I can't remember how they are sized.

The Ascent pants have performed flawlessly here in Montana. I’ve worn them all the way from August 15 while chasing antelope to late in November while deer/elk hunting. All of Sitka’s pants are very versatile. If I’m in the High Country late in the year and it’s cold, I couple the pants with a base layer and am good to go. These pants are not water resistant, however the time it takes for them to dry is incredible. I got caught in an all morning rain shower last week chasing elk and two hours later my pants were dry. For the active hunter who is always on the move and wants a piece of gear to take him or her through the entire Fall I would definitely give the Ascent pants a try. Best pants I’ve ever owned.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn the ascent, mountain, and timberline pants. I really like them all. The ascent are the most comfortable pant I have ever worn, but I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting as a bowhunter and love the built in knee pads of the mountain and timberline pant. I wore the mountain pants nearly every day last November spot and stalking KS mule deer and they held up great. I plan to use the timberline a lot this fall due to the waterproof seat and knees...there were several days last fall I wish I would have had them. The only negative I can see on the timberline is that the waterproof material extends between the legs as well and if you have thick thighs the material makes some noise when you walk. This may improve with wear.

Matt

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Ascent pants are my favorite pants also. I hate hiking in pants (usually use board shorts) but the Ascents don't bother me at all. I agree with Littlebuf that you would love hunting in the Ascents.
Ascent pants with long johns and rain pants cover almost any hunting situation IMO.