Sitka - Help me pick!

HuntingEd

FNG
Searched a lot on here and haven't been able to make a choice, I'm looking to get a sitka outer shell for the upcoming season, but I have a dilemma of which set to pick and I don't really want to have to get two sets.

I'll be on an October Elk hunt in NM but other than that I primarily hunt whitetail from elevated stands. Looking for waterproof and quiet, if possible, and which camo pattern to choose.

I was going to go Thunderhead or Downpour, but I'm worried about being able to layer under the 'performance fit', because I like to layer for warmth vs having a heavy outer shell. (most of my hunting is 30-60F) Another option is the Dew Point, but will it be too noisy?

As a side note, I'll be honest that I'm not usually going to sit in a stand during a heavy downpour, that might happen 1 or 2 days a year. So I was considering Dew Point set as packable and then an outer shell of the Traverse or another system for most of my hunting.

Any feedback is much appreciated, Thanks!

The rain gear is cut to be able to layer under. I would opt for packable rain gear and get something like the jetstream jacket to wear as your outer layer when it is not an absolute downpour. Much more quiet than any rain gear, windproof, very water resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thunderhead is a good jacket, but I would not want to do much hiking in it for NM elk. Would be good for a whitetail stand when it is raining tho.

There are lots of options, but you are describing really three different scenarios...mountain hunting, treestand hunting, and rain hunting. Pick one and buy for that, and then adapt the clothes to match your other scenarios.

The other option is just buying something that is not ideal for all but will work for most. Examples: jetstream is a great jacket for mountain hunting, but is a little loud for my taste in a treestand, and isn't water proof but water resistant. Traverse jacket is OK for mountains, pretty darn good for treestand, but not water resistant and would need another layer for rain. Ambient line is good for mountains (so they say), would be ok for treestand (prob a little louder than I want) and ok for moisture with DWR finish.

Are you dead set on just one or two pieces? I would probably look to get some layers for each, and pick and choose what you need for each. Include a shell for rain, can be very light (and doesn't need to be sitka) for those occasional rain sits, and have some stuff that breathes and some stuff that insulates. Could prob get a couple of mid layers for the price of two jackets that would work just as good, and the rain shell can be used as a wind and weather shell as needed.

OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
Thanks for the feedback!

I have plenty of clothing, but was really trying to find a good outer layer. I've had cabelas MTO50 gear for years and it worked great, but I've seen the quality of their clothing decline so and my gear is 15+ years old now and I'm ready to upgrade. So that's kind of the type of outer shell I'm looking for. I'm not necessarily looking for a one size fits all solution, just something that I can wear when temps drop below 60 and layer under as it gets colder. Ideally that would be waterproof too... starting to think I need to buy for the treestand hunt and adapt my layering to work for my NM hunt. Or, splurge and get a packable rain gear plus a good treestand set...

I would buy what you will use for most, and then tailor around that for specific events.

there is not much out there that will rival what Cablelas does with insulated weatherproof stuff, that you can use in a treestand. But I would never hunt in the mountains with the stuff, way too hot. The current line of instinct and standhunter stuff is pretty good for the price, That stuff may work well for mountain hunting as well but do not have personal experience with it. but they do have some stuff that could be had twice (or more) for the price of one sitka jacket.

If you were looking strickly for a treestand hunting piece, I would highly highly recommend the stratus jacket. Windproof, warm down into the 40's and lower with good layers, and silent. But that won't do great in the mountains. It will do OK, but not great, but could be a great wind layer for after moving and getting into the stalk or something. So it could be adaptable.

OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
well, after some more research, I think I'm just going to focus on the elk hunt gear for now, since I have a good amount of whitetail clothing already.

Looking now at the mountain or traverse jacket/pant set combined with Dew Point set for rain.

Honyock

WKR
Sitka Dewpoint is light, packable and also makes a good shell in wind. The Dewpoint stays in my pack year round. Whatever you get, make sure it has pit zips.

Lowg08

WKR
The new jetstream is whitetail bow hunter friendly. I have one now and it’s very quiet. I whitetail hunt with a western approach but use a saddle. If that is confusing enough lol.

OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
Thanks guys! I'm going to make a trip a store to try some of the items on and see how they feel before I make my final decision. Definitely going to just focus on gear for the elk trip, and if I use it for whitetail thats a bonus haha

tntrker

WKR
I use my Subalpine for Whitetail and turkey hunting as well. The Jetstream jacket is a staple imo. I do not know about the new one released this year, but it stays in the pack whether it's elk, deer, or turkey...

Im actually in the same dilemma. If the thunderhead had pit zips I would have already ordered it.
I have the jet stream as a normal outer shell. I'll probably go with thunderhead since its on sale right now.

Can't help ya, I use the Thunderhead for natural ground blind hunting and the DewPoint for spot & stalk. Noise isn't much of an issue when it's raining. I hate treestands but was forced to hunt from one for a couple of days due to a back injury sustained during my Canada hunt. Pattern doesn't matter, all of em will work.

IMG_2274.JPG

OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
Can't help ya, I use the Thunderhead for natural ground blind hunting and the DewPoint for spot & stalk. Noise isn't much of an issue when it's raining.

Exactly, I've finally settled on the dew point and I'm going to get a size too big so I can use it as an outer shell over my other gear. Probably going w/ open country pattern since it looks to be most versatile no matter where I hunted.

Also going with mtn pant, mtn jacket and hoodie in subalpine for my primary outer layer

Exactly, I've finally settled on the dew point and I'm going to get a size too big so I can use it as an outer shell over my other gear. Probably going w/ open country pattern since it looks to be most versatile no matter where I hunted.

Also going with mtn pant, mtn jacket and hoodie in subalpine for my primary outer layer
Don't get the Mt pants...they are very fragile compared to the Timberline pants. Mine lasted two days before the failing. You want a waterproof, reinforced seat. Trust me on this one.

mtpantfail.JPGmtpantfail2.JPG

The OC Dewpoints are what I wear and they perform quite well..

The heavyweight Core does not have the built-in facemask so get the lightweight Core model or Equinox Guard.

Last edited:
OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
Don't get the Mt pants...they are very fragile compared to the Timberline pants. Mine lasted two days before the failing. You want a waterproof, reinforced seat. Trust me on this one.

The OC Dewpoints are what I wear and they perform quite well..

The heavyweight Core does not have the built-in facemask so get the lightweight Core model or Equinox Guard.

Thanks for the comment! I switched to the Timberline pants. I think those combined with my dew point exterior I'll have plenty of layering options.

Also, going with the lightweight hoodie to get the face mask option, and ditching the mountain jacket. I have a few jackets in varying weights that have wind stopper in them.

The Dewpoints cut wind and I usually have em in the pack, ideal for glassing with Kelvins (for cold weather hunts or sitting on a spot at dusk or dawn). Stopped carrying a soft shell jacket, in mist/light rain they get heavy. The Kelvin/Dewpoint option is better, less bulky and works. The Shacket is also a great piece of kit for trad bow hunts when you need to get within 25 yards. My lightweight Core w/ built-in facemask saved my arse in Canada's swamps when moose hunting. The bugs were thick and this shirt saved me.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg