Sitka Hoody

ridgefire

WKR
I am in the market for a Sitka hoody and not sure which one I want. I would mainly be using it for elk in Sept. at around 8000' so temps anywhere from the high teens to 65-70 degrees. I typically wear just a Sitka merino 1/4 zip with a Sitka mountain vest and a First Lite Labrador sweater but would rather have something like the weight of the sweater but with a hood. I'm thinking the core hoody is gonna be a little lite and the heavyweight a little to heavy. Anything in between those two that would fit the bill? Wouldn't mind having one with the built in face mask either. Thanks.

Stay away from the traverse. It is a heavy beast.

Take a look at the Fanatic. Like an R1 fleece or FL halstead, it is a mid layer. I love mine.

HuntWyld

WKR
Yep apex is between the core light and heavy and has a blend of different materials including merino

If you aren't adverse to KUIU, the Peloton 240 full zip with hood is a great piece. Quiet, hood fits great, cuts some wind, warm, good for a mid-layer or as the outer layer for a lot of conditions. I wore mine all last fall sheep, caribou and moose hunting, down in AZ Coues hunting and for x-country skiing as the top layer. It is a very versatile piece.

Gumbo

WKR
Personally I use the lightweight hoody all season and just use a heavier layer over the top if I need it. I really don't like being too hot and err on the side of lightweight. I add a really light but warm cabelas berber fleece over the top if I need it, and then a jacket over that. A three layer system is more versatile and warmer in my experience. Any of the heavier fleeces/merinos are better suited as mid-layer IMO.

atfrith

FNG
x3 on the core heavy weight. I use mine nearly year round and I've never found it to be too heavy if worn with a lite base layer

Personally I use the lightweight hoody all season and just use a heavier layer over the top if I need it. I really don't like being too hot and err on the side of lightweight.

BOOM! There it is. The LW hoody with a merino base is my GO TO now. The built-in facemask is perfect! The heavyweight hoody doesn't have a facemask. Get the Fanatic hoody if ya want something heavier with a facemask or add a Kelvin or Jetstream jacket.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am in the market for a Sitka hoody and not sure which one I want. I would mainly be using it for elk in Sept. at around 8000' so temps anywhere from the high teens to 65-70 degrees. I typically wear just a Sitka merino 1/4 zip with a Sitka mountain vest and a First Lite Labrador sweater but would rather have something like the weight of the sweater but with a hood. I'm thinking the core hoody is gonna be a little lite and the heavyweight a little to heavy. Anything in between those two that would fit the bill? Wouldn't mind having one with the built in face mask either. Thanks.

I would look at the Sitka Core LT weight hoody. It comes with a face mask, and with a good base layer you can get down into the lower 40's. It is the perfect piece for a September elk or mulley hunt.

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Im kinda leaning towards the lightweight hoody and layering over it if needed. I typically wear a First Lite merino quarter zip as my base layer. Should I be concerned that they are similar pieces or does the hoody have enough room where it's not to restrictive having a layer underneath?

tlkaetz

WKR
The core lightweight Hoody is a standard fit so it has room for a layer underneath. I wear a thin icebreaker SS crew under mine.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
If you need anything warmer, the apex hoodie has the built in face mask too, is between the light and heavyweight hoodie, and is my all time favorite piece of gear they’ve made.

You can’t cheat the mountain

FlyGuy

WKR
If you need anything warmer, the apex hoodie has the built in face mask too, is between the light and heavyweight hoodie, and is my all time favorite piece of gear they’ve made.

dd8000303a3f0a66114940438cdfe3e0.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Im kinda leaning towards the lightweight hoody and layering over it if needed. I typically wear a First Lite merino quarter zip as my base layer. Should I be concerned that they are similar pieces or does the hoody have enough room where it's not to restrictive having a layer underneath?

Depending on the temps I wear anything from the ultralite FL Aerowool merino (shorts/short sleeves) to full on heavy merino base. The combination makes the LW hoody perfect. When you're on the move you rarely get cold anyway and when ya stop (glassing, waiting on a water hole, etc.)...that's the time to layer up.

I like the core lightweight hoody for wearing as a 1st layer next to skin. I also really like the heavy weight hoody for keeping me warm