Sitka Hudson vs Sitka Jetstream

TylerS105

FNG
I am new to backcountry hunting and am going on my first elk hunt this year. I was looking at getting a layering piece to go over my puffy to block wind and keep the rain off of me. I hunt waterfowl a lot where I live and own a Sitka Hudson Jacket. I was wondering if my Hudson would suffice or if it would be worth buying another jacket, that being the Sitka Jetstream. I was looking at the specs on them and they looked pretty similar, what is your guys opinion?

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I have the jetstream and I don’t think it would fit very well over a puffy…at least not the way it fits me.

Full disclosure, I don't have a Hudson. I wear a delta wading jacket all duck season and layer accordingly underneath. I do have a Jetstream that I like well enough.

Will the Hudson work for your purpose as a wind blocker? I'm sure it will. I do know that it's insulated and from what I hear pretty damn warm. It is almost double the weight of the Jetstream though. The Jetstream isn't very bulky so throwing it on in the morning then putting it in a pack as it warms up isn't a big deal. Not sure how well your Hudson packs down. The Jetstream also isn't very warm. I wore it the other day in the upper 50s while walking around grouse hunting all morning and didn't get overly hot. It's mildly water resistant and fairly windproof. Just a good durable outer layer for the average day.

I dont think it's really an apples to apples comparison. But the Hudson will likely work for you so long as you can pack it easy and the extra weight/bulk/warmth doesn't bother you.

Seems like the Hudson might be a bit much for an active hunt. Might be nice for camp or glassing but just reading the specs it doesn't sound like something you'd want to be hiking in. Unless it's crazy cold I guess.

I own both pieces. IMO the Hudson is too bulky and heavy to pack with me on a backpack hunt. Also, maybe its just me, but I feel like the Hudson offers almost no noticeable warmth over a simple rain shell like the delta or the cloudburst. So, there is little to no gain for packing all that extra weight. I use a puffy and a rain shell over it to act as a wind barrier so it pulls double duty. The jetstream is one of my favorite pieces but I rarely take it on a backpack hunt because it is kind of redundant to bring a rainshell and a windshell. The exception is when it is really cold, I like to hike around in my jetstream and will take it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk