Sitka Jacket - Which One?

logomount

FNG
I’m going on my first elk hunt in September and need a suggestion on an outer layer jacket to get me through the cold mornings. I’ll actually be one of the very few that will be treestand hunting on public, so I most likely won’t be doing my walking expect to/from the stand. That could change depending on what I see from the stand.

The two two jackets I’m looking at are the Kelvin Active or the Heavyweight Hoody? I was able to find and try on the Heavyweight and it’s seems to be very warm but bulky. I know temps will range from 35-55 in the morning where I hunt.

Anyone have any experience with either???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longhorn

FNG
If you are going to be in a stand, why not go for the kelvin lite hoody? Cheaper than the active and you gain a hood.

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
How’s the noise on the lite hoody? That would be my only reservation

Longhorn

FNG
It's not quiet but neither of them are. I have the equinox hoody for the tree stand but you'll want a wind layer in addition to that (which won't be quiet either) if you expect any wind...

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
It's not quiet but neither of them are. I have the equinox hoody for the tree stand but you'll want a wind layer in addition to that (which won't be quiet either) if you expect any wind...

Thanks for this info that helps a lot! I’m guessing there really isn’t a good quiet piece in the subalpine line that would be ideal for stand hunting in temps from 30-50 degrees...

I sort of agree. Quietest pieces are in the whitetail line.

I have a kelvin lite hoody. Warm. It has a nylon outer shell. As an out layer it is a little noisy for treestands IMO. Might also be a bit too warm for 40-50* depending on how you layer. I have worn mine underneath a soft shell in the stand and it works fine as a midlayer in colder temps.

I also have the kelvin active jacket. It is much quieter but not as quiet as their fleece whitetail stuff and not as warm or wind proof as the kelvin lite hoodie. It moves and breathes well but may not be enough jacket for a static sit for 40s and below.

I snagged a kelvin lite vest after season this year and may mix and match the kelvin vest with the active to see how I like that combo.

Not sure if you are looking to stay with Sitka but I have a FL Woodbury jacket that I love for that exact temp range. I usually pack it in and slip it on when I settle into my stand or ambush location. It is pretty warm and very quiet. Probably one of my favorite first lite pieces. I think they replaced it this year with the Solitude but you can still find them around.

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
I’m now thinking maybe the core heavyweight hoody and maybe the Jetstream vest on top might be enough with merino base layers to get me comfortable in those ranges. It’ll also allow more versatility than just one jacket.

I’m definitely looking at the FL gear too. I like the look of the Catalyst soft shell...looks like just what I would need.

I really like the look of subalpine but the FL Fusion looks like a great pattern too

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done my share of tree stand hunting for elk in September and in our late November season. If it were me, I’d be using a puffy underneath a soft shell (to reduce noise) during September and the puffy would be just one of the layers during my all day sits in November. Not one of the elk I’ve seen or shot ever looked up to see if I was wearing Sitka, First Lite or ......name the hot brand of choice. And none of my stands are what a whitetail hunter would call very high. I’ve had elk walk underneath me just 10’ below me.

Trial153

WKR
The cold weather Hoody will do what you want, even better would be the jet stream jacket. Both will be quite enough for bowhunting from a stand. Just layer under them accordingly

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
The cold weather Hoody will do what you want, even better would be the jet stream jacket. Both will be quite enough for bowhunting from a stand. Just layer under them accordingly

I had that in my mind as well but I’ve heard that the Jetstream is kinda noisy. Never been able to put my hands on one so I’m just getting that secondhand.

Trial153

WKR
I had that in my mind as well but I’ve heard that the Jetstream is kinda noisy. Never been able to put my hands on one so I’m just getting that secondhand.

It's been quite enough for me to take everyplace from Alaska to Mexicowhiel bowhunting. Especially after a wash or two.

Rohnson23

FNG
I think the Jetstream Jacket would be great. It has Windstopper and it cuts the wind. The wind sucks the warmth out of you and the Windstopper laminate is key.

Pramo

WKR
I bowhunt whitetails with the cold weather hoodie, it's very quiet. I also use a Kelvin lite hoddie for backpack hunting and it's quiet enough to bow hunt but prefer the kuiu kenai for spot and stalk archery since it's dead quiet.