Sitka Jackets

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there, I am looking for some knowledge on Sitka jackets. I am in the market for a jacket that is good for active hunts in mid-late season when layered and some still sits in the tree. I have looked on the Sitka website but it’s not super descriptive on multiple uses of one piece of gear because they push the entire system that they designed. I do already have some Sitka so I am familiar with the concept but am newer to active western hunting. I am experienced with stand hunting in the midwest. Any suggestions on jackets, layering, or anything else would help greatly, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
IMHO I don't think it's just a marketing thing for the system, as what I wear for active hunts differs from what I wear for tree stand sits. I do layer in both instances, and what and how much I layer depends further on the temperature and chance of rain or snow. That doesn't mean you have to buy the Sitka system though.

FWIW, my most-used Sitka pieces are the Fanatic Bibs and Incinerator Jacket - but those two are very narrow uses for me - Nebraska tree stand hunting when the temps are low and wind is high. Both pieces are great - but I still have worn multiple layers beneath (almost all merino, and a heated vest for an all day sit) - but others can probably do with less. That said, I would never consider either of those for anything other than a still hunt because I'd not make it very far before dying of heat stroke.

barrister

WKR
Like you, I'm a full season midwest whitetail guy, with annual or every-other-year trips out west for elk, mule deer, etc. I also rifle hunt public land in northern Michigan annually which involves still-hunting and finding a good spot on the ground to be on "stand" for an hour or so at a time. Even though it's rifle hunting, to be effective, I am sometimes interacting with deer in thick stuff that ends up with some short range shots. Given my experience as noted above, here's my take on Sitka for what it's worth.

Two pieces that absolutely will translate between stand and western hunting are the Jetstream vest and the Mountain vest. I know these aren't jackets, but they are good to use anywhere (midwest or west) as the outer layers when a vest is just the right amount of added warmth. The real midwest/west versatility is with their windproof properties and layering. Layering them under any jacket instantly improves the warmth and effectiveness of the outer jacket. As an example, I have a Rocky fleece jacket that is comfortable, very quiet and has a harness pass through for the stand. It has zero windproofing though so windy days in the stand really hampered it's use. Add either of these vests underneath my harness and fleece jacket and now I have a comfortable, silent tree stand jacket with more use later in the season. The vests are thin so you can add more insulating layers over them as needed. Being sleeveless, the layering bulk is minimized in your arms. They fit seamlessly into my midwest and west layering for a wide range of temps and conditions.

I have a Jetstream jacket and I love it for western hunting and the northern Michigan hunting I describe. It's windproof, decent warmth, durable, has a hood and puts up with some rain/snow before needing a hardshell. For using it in the stand (which you can do), you give up the tree stand harness pass through and there are quieter materials. It's not overly loud for sure, but as you know for archery hunting and close quarters it doesn't take much rustle to focus a deer's attention on you in the Midwest. The other con is the fit of the jacket is athletic. There isn't much room for layering underneath it. However, the same logic I mention above for the vests applies to the jacket. Using my example, if I put my harness on over the Jetstream and the fleece jacket over both, I'm warm, windproof and the harness isn't a hindrance sticking out the neck of the jacket.

For the really cold stuff, I have two different systems. For out west, I add puffy jacket outer layers over the Jetstream jacket that are packable, but aren't super durable for thick vegetation and are louder. I like the FirstLite Uncompaghre (very comfortable and maybe quiet enough for tree stand use) and I just got a Sitka windstopper Kelvin down jacket for super insulation (it's nice but IMO way too loud for tree stand use). For midwest stands I have the FirstLite Sancturary jacket. Super warm, quiet and has a harness pass through. But, it's heavy and you don't want to use it for mobile hunting. A lot of times, I'll walk into the stand with a Sitka vest over my base layer and put the Sanctuary on over everything at the stand.

I don't have any of the Sitka whitetail-specific items because I have tried, like you, to bridge the clothing gap between the hunting styles as much as is possible. It seemed to me from my research that the pieces I have blend concepts decently well and perhaps moreso than going with the whitetail items for dual use.

So, bottom line, I don't think there is one do-everything jacket that fully bridges the gap between these different styles of hunting. You give up a little something one way or the other. That isn't just a Sitka issue, however, it's the same with all hunting clothes.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Like you, I'm a full season midwest whitetail guy, with annual or every-other-year trips out west for elk, mule deer, etc. I also rifle hunt public land in northern Michigan annually which involves still-hunting and finding a good spot on the ground to be on "stand" for an hour or so at a time. Even though it's rifle hunting, to be effective, I am sometimes interacting with deer in thick stuff that ends up with some short range shots. Given my experience as noted above, here's my take on Sitka for what it's worth.

Two pieces that absolutely will translate between stand and western hunting are the Jetstream vest and the Mountain vest. I know these aren't jackets, but they are good to use anywhere (midwest or west) as the outer layers when a vest is just the right amount of added warmth. The real midwest/west versatility is with their windproof properties and layering. Layering them under any jacket instantly improves the warmth and effectiveness of the outer jacket. As an example, I have a Rocky fleece jacket that is comfortable, very quiet and has a harness pass through for the stand. It has zero windproofing though so windy days in the stand really hampered it's use. Add either of these vests underneath my harness and fleece jacket and now I have a comfortable, silent tree stand jacket with more use later in the season. The vests are thin so you can add more insulating layers over them as needed. Being sleeveless, the layering bulk is minimized in your arms. They fit seamlessly into my midwest and west layering for a wide range of temps and conditions.

I have a Jetstream jacket and I love it for western hunting and the northern Michigan hunting I describe. It's windproof, decent warmth, durable, has a hood and puts up with some rain/snow before needing a hardshell. For using it in the stand (which you can do), you give up the tree stand harness pass through and there are quieter materials. It's not overly loud for sure, but as you know for archery hunting and close quarters it doesn't take much rustle to focus a deer's attention on you in the Midwest. The other con is the fit of the jacket is athletic. There isn't much room for layering underneath it. However, the same logic I mention above for the vests applies to the jacket. Using my example, if I put my harness on over the Jetstream and the fleece jacket over both, I'm warm, windproof and the harness isn't a hindrance sticking out the neck of the jacket.

For the really cold stuff, I have two different systems. For out west, I add puffy jacket outer layers over the Jetstream jacket that are packable, but aren't super durable for thick vegetation and are louder. I like the FirstLite Uncompaghre (very comfortable and maybe quiet enough for tree stand use) and I just got a Sitka windstopper Kelvin down jacket for super insulation (it's nice but IMO way too loud for tree stand use). For midwest stands I have the FirstLite Sancturary jacket. Super warm, quiet and has a harness pass through. But, it's heavy and you don't want to use it for mobile hunting. A lot of times, I'll walk into the stand with a Sitka vest over my base layer and put the Sanctuary on over everything at the stand.

I don't have any of the Sitka whitetail-specific items because I have tried, like you, to bridge the clothing gap between the hunting styles as much as is possible. It seemed to me from my research that the pieces I have blend concepts decently well and perhaps moreso than going with the whitetail items for dual use.

So, bottom line, I don't think there is one do-everything jacket that fully bridges the gap between these different styles of hunting. You give up a little something one way or the other. That isn't just a Sitka issue, however, it's the same with all hunting clothes.

this was super helpful so thank you for the write up. I have the equinox hoody, which is made for whitetails but if you are looking for a super awesome piece that’ll get you down to 30°F with a tshirt underneath that’s the go to. I think the jet stream sounds like a good route. I have a puffy for later conditions when needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwh624

FNG
I'll echo what's been said. The Jetstream is the best option for what you are looking for. I use mine for pheasant hunting and archery turkey hunting so it's plenty quiet. You'll need to size up one if you want to use it as an outer layer with any serious layers underneath as it's designed to be more of a sweatshirt layer replacement. I run a size large for most things Sitka and need an xl in the Jetstream

With decent bibs, and base layers, you should be able to use the Jetstream with the equinox hoody under to around 30 degrees when sitting stationary, depending on your comfort level. You could add the fanatic vest over it to get another 10 - 15 degrees.

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
What would your guys recommendation be on washing stika clothing ? What has other used for washing there clothing at home ?

mwh624

FNG
I just hose off my outer layers when needed (rarely). Base and mid layers just wash with scent free, line dry and ozone treat

Whisky

WKR
Jetstream is probably my most used article of clothing (along with Kuiu Attacks).
From Western hunts, to active Midwest whitetail and birds, to stationary stand/blind hunts. It has been used for all. Late late season, cold temps, the First Lite comes out though. But you can get through some fairly cold weather by layering underneath the Jetstream. And the pit zips are a must when active.

Wash wise i go by whats on the labels. I
Have washed multiple pieces and tjey all
Do well if i follow the labels. I do use scent free detergent without brighteners tho.

For my stratus bibs i got some blood on them last deer i shot and i sprayed it off with a hose. Was shocked at the degree of water resistance on that piece