Sitka Jetstream Jacket Old vs New

BigSky

WKR
I have tried to research the differences between the old (most recent prior version) Sitka Jetstream jacket and the newest version. We have had a thread running about the new version (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-redesigned-jetstream-jacket-and-vest.271128/) but, it appears as though nobody who has owned both has provided a definitive comparison.

The differences I've been able to determine are minimal at best and very subjective in preference (aren't all hunting clothes). These are the differences I've discovered. I assume there are more. The new version is made of a quieter material. The new version has fewer pockets. The new version has removed the grey color material around the zippers. The new version has a different fit than the old. Those are the main and, as best as I can determine, only differences that I can find. I am not asserting my list of differences is exclusive, just what I have found.

The pockets they removed were those useless ones on the sleeve and double chest pocket. Material is definitely softer and quieter. For me the biggest difference is the fit. The torso length seems slightly longer and less athletically cut, and the sleeves are more open straight down to the wrist opening. What I like about the cut is that it's much easier to layer over an insulated piece (active, midi, or ambient) without getting hung up on the midlayer or compressing the insulation. It almost seems like the whole reason for the update was to open it up more for that new ambient piece, so it doesn't get compressed by the cut of the jacket. Being a taller and bigger guy I actually find a lot of value in the new version for it's better fit. Hope this helps.

Edit: also, the expanded offerings of their camo patterns in the jetstream makes me wonder if they might be collapsing some of their redundancies across their product lines.

Last edited:
OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
The pockets they removed were those useless ones on the sleeve and double chest pocket. Material is definitely softer and quieter. For me the biggest difference is the fit. The torso length seems slightly longer and less athletically cut, and the sleeves are more open straight down to the wrist opening. What I like about the cut is that it's much easier to layer over an insulated piece (active, midi, or ambient) without getting hung up on the midlayer or compressing the insulation. It almost seems like the whole reason for the update was to open it up more for that new ambient piece, so it doesn't get compressed by the cut of the jacket. Being a taller and bigger guy I actually find a lot of value in the new version for it's better fit. Hope this helps.
It does Kb. I am a pseudo big guy in that I am 6' and 205. The things you described are much better than what I have read with respect to fit. I appreciate it.

I have both…well, I had both. My old Jetstream is still working great. I bought a new Jetstream just to have another one. I much prefer the material and the fit of my old Jetstream. The fit on the new model seemed much more restrictive and the fabric much noisier than my old one.

I tried upsizing, but I couldn’t ever get it to fit right. I didn’t like the feel of the new fabric either.

I sent the new ones back. I’m thinking about trying a Kuiu Axis Hybrid. I have the Axis Hybrid pants and I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engineerd

FNG
I have both…well, I had both. My old Jetstream is still working great. I bought a new Jetstream just to have another one. I much prefer the material and the fit of my old Jetstream. The fit on the new model seemed much more restrictive and the fabric much noisier than my old one.

I tried upsizing, but I couldn’t ever get it to fit right. I didn’t like the feel of the new fabric either.

I sent the new ones back. I’m thinking about trying a Kuiu Axis Hybrid. I have the Axis Hybrid pants and I love them.

I had a Kuiu Axis Hybrid and went to the new Jetstream. For me the cut/fit of the Jetstream was much preferred when considering the ability to layer.

The new one is softer, therefore much more quiet. It also either has more stretch or is cut so much better that it allows for more freedom of movement. Overall I like it much better than the old, especially for bow hunting. I haven’t beat around the bush too hard in it yet. Not sure if the new softer material will be quite as durable as the previous model. I will update if I have any issues.

I had a Kuiu Axis Hybrid and went to the new Jetstream. For me the cut/fit of the Jetstream was much preferred when considering the ability to layer.

I’m starting to think that I may have gotten an odd in-between version of the Jetstream from a third party seller. My wife bought a couple of them for me off Amazon, God bless her.

I just ordered a new Jetstream directly from Sitka to make sure I’m not misrepresenting the jacket. I love my old Jetstream, and I’m interested in how it will compare to the ones I sent back.

I rescind my previous comments. My new Jetstream jacket just showed up directly from Sitka. It’s awesome. I don’t know what the other jackets were that I tried, they said they were Jetstreams from a third-party seller, but they definitely weren’t this.

I really like the cut of the new Jetstream. Time will tell, but it feels solid. My old Jetstream jacket earned its stripes and I hope this one will too.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
The fit, stretch and cut of the new model are all major upgrades in my opinion. Old Jetstream seemed a little “stiff” or loud for my liking. New one is almost like a plain hoodie quiet. They got rid of some pockets, and fixed the hand pockets. The old one has this weird space behind the zipper, I guess to make the pocket larger? Couldn’t stand that design, as I have “lost” my archery release in one of my old Jetstream vests while wearing it. The pocket design allowed it to migrate behind the zipper, so you put your hand in like normal and wouldn’t feel anything. Would have to put your hand in and reach back ( like trying to scratch your a$$ through the pocket) to get any small items as they moved around.
And I’ll be honest-that was enough to keep me away from the old Jetstream, and in soft shell purgatory. The new one is as if not more quiet than any other comparable jacket and now the hand pockets are made correctly as God intended. I got one-it’s my favorite jacket

brandr67

FNG
Was the Kuiu just too slim to layer effectively? Or what made it inferior?

BrodieBC

FNG
What is the sizing like on the new jetstream? Ive heard that the newer model is more “loose” fitting. I run an XLT in the older model but one review I watched on youtube he was able to size down to a Large tall and get better fit. Anyone have experience with that?

Engineerd

FNG
What is the sizing like on the new jetstream? Ive heard that the newer model is more “loose” fitting. I run an XLT in the older model but one review I watched on youtube he was able to size down to a Large tall and get better fit. Anyone have experience with that?

I agree that the new version is looser fitting. From my experience it is not a full size larger but enough to allow improved layering and better fit in chest/shoulders.

I had XLT in the old version. Ordered XLT in the new version and it was perfect for me. Torso hem was slightly longer, and the chest, shoulders and sleeves were all just a little looser in all the right spots.

Badger327

FNG
I've had 2 old Jetstreams and the Axis Hybrid. I got rid of the Axis because it had only a single drawstring hood which was useless when you turned your head and because it was very drafty through the front zipper with no draft flap. I have an older camo Jetstream which is great and resonably quiet. Because I really liked the camo Jetstream, I bought a solid color Jetstream about a year back and hate it because it is too noisy even though I don't use it for hunting it annoys me. Completely different fabric feel from the camo Jetstream from about 4 years ago. I should have sent the solid color Jetstream back. I haven't found the new improved version to look at locally so can't say how it compares to the old solid or old camo jackets.

Boys help....

I was gonna order another jetsteam in xl tall and I stumbled into a bit of a conundrum.. the one I have in dirt has 2 chest pockets and no sleeve pocket. The tag says 50125 and that it's nylon and elastene.

The camo one in my cart says polyester and has picture of a sleeve zip and 3 chest pockets... did sitka update or change the prior Gen when they released the solid colors? Or is the optifade one in my card the old old version?