Sitka Jetstream Layering

I was thinking about picking up some Sitka gear with their close out deals going on right now. This will be for my first out of state western style hunt. My hunt will be for Wyoming Mule deer in early November in a rolling hills, sagebrush type area, so wind is a concern with it being so open. I already have merino base layers, and I was thinking of picking up a Kelvin Active Jacket for my active insulation and an old model Jetstream to layer over that for wind. I would then layer a puffy over the Jetstream for static periods and hard shell for rain. Does this make sense, or should I be looking for something thinner like a dedicated wind shirt to layer over the Kelvin Active instead of the Jetstream? Since the Jetstream is a softshell, is that supposed to be doing the job insulation and wind shirt in one piece? New to the whole layering game.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jetstream will work well for your needs and will takenthe place of the windshirt for sure.

All the other layers could be needed in november so your set up sounds solid.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
using a windproof softshell then packing a windproof rain shell doesn't make sense to me. if it's windy, just use the rain shell. if you need insulation, use a puffy under the rainshell when you are glassing. the jetstream is a really nice jacket but a bit heavy and not all that packable either. A softshell can fill a certain niche, but when it's built like the jetstream (windproof, insulated, heavy) I'd just go with the much lighter and compressible options (puffy and rain shell).

Swan

FNG
The Jetstream has a pretty snug fit in the sleeves. I couldn’t fit an Active Jacket under mine, or if I squeezed it on, would find it tough to move. I typically just wear a core lightweight hoody if I’m covering ground. I have at times worn a smaller puffy vest under it or a thicker base layer, similar to the core heavyweight hoody. I typically go light underneath and then just throw my puffy on over it for static periods. I can’t stand wearing a rain shell, so wait as long as possible before putting one on. That said, when I go way back in, the Jetstream gets left behind due to weight.

Roughout

FNG
As other have said, old version wasn’t cut to layer well under. Order size up if you are in between sizes or plan to layer more than merino. Your plan will work great, with WY and air temp you can regulate w pit zips etc. reminder it has DWR so good in light precipitation/snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk