Sitka Jetstream, Stratus, or other....?

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
The season is just ending and think it is the last one for my current Sitka bibs and jacket. 15 years plus. Pretty happy with it, but it is pretty shredded now.
My best guess, doing a little research, is my current set are the 90% product (but, I'm not positive on that). Picked it up on sale, and with no research at the time, so don't remember the name. Soft shell material, jacket (with removable hood) and bibs/thin fleece interior/Mountain Mothwing Mimicry 2.0 pattern. I used them for mountain Elk hunting (unless it was really hot), right through to part of my layering for November Whitetails. I wore them for everything, and hope to find something to do the same. My research on Sitka, so far, has me considering:
Bibs - really prefer bibs over pants for a number of reasons. The Fanatic lite bibs look to be a good choice, but they are only available in Elevated II camo. Maybe the Stratus? Good for early Elk, prairie Mulies and treestands? Not many choices that I spotted.
Jacket - lots of choices in jackets, but the Jetstream looks to be one of the better options (but not available in Elevated II)? Or maybe the Stratus (but concerned about the breathability)? The Fanatic lite looks to be good, but really don't like the angled zipper idea.
I'd like to have matching patterns, so the Jetstream with any bib doesn't fit that criteria (but, maybe, that isn't a big deal?) and something that I can use for early season to late. Hard to lay hands on all the different options, with stores not carrying many (at least in my area) and Covid restrictions.

Maybe I should wait until they come out with 2021 stuff (although, not sure when that might be) to see what is new. My wife is considering this as a Birthday/Christmas present combined, so encouraged me to start looking now. Appreciate any advise.
Random info: I am in Alberta, Canada, so early season in September can be anywhere from +25 (Celsius - 80 Farenheit) to snow and freezing temps. Frosty mornings are the norm. My current set are XL. I like looser (although, not baggy) fitting gear with room to layer underneath if need be, and they worked perfect for that. 6'3" - 190 to 195 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
Bigfeet

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
No responses - my fault for not asking a more specific question. This might be better? My shortlist for jackets includes the Jetstream and the Stratus. Looks like the Jetstream is more breathable than the Stratus, but the Stratus might be warmer? Would the Stratus be useful for early season Elk, or is it not breathable enough?

Depending on what you are doing with them I wouldn’t pick the stratus if you are moving and walking through brush. Too much insulation with windstopper. They’re built for stationary whitetail hunting. On top of that the exterior is brushed fleece so you can have quiet movement in the tree. That brushed fleece really gets hung up if you’re moving through stuff a lot. Jet stream is a much better choice here. You may be looking towards the mountain or timberline pant to match your 90%

I don’t have any input on the fanatic lites though. But elevated 2 has a lot of blues in it to match the sky when you are in a Treestand. Based on studies I’ve seen, ungulates see blues the best in their color vision. So if you are on the ground with browns or grays, it could be an issue. Personally I would go with one of the other patterns, elevated 2 was specifically designed for whitetail hunting out of a tree.

I would agree with 505 on the stratus vs jetstream. Largely the same with different external fabrics. Both are close to your 90% set. The fleece on the stratus does pick up some debris. If I was looking for something to be mobile in and want elevated 2 camo, I would be my choice. BtW elevated 2 doesn’t have much of any blue. It is more of a brownish grey and brown scheme. Does very well against hardwood bark and should suit other applications.

The fanatic stuff is a heavy Berber type exterior. The fanatic lite stuff is about the same but les thick. Super quiet. Warm. Perhaps not the best for mobility. Really designed for stand hunting but you could make it work.

Another aspect of fanatic lite is it doesn't have the windstopper membrane the fanatic and stratus have. I had been looking at a lot of different options for better tuning my whitetail set up, and noticed the fanatic lite is not rated for wind anywhere near what the stratus or fanatic are.

I have the Jetstream jacket and it served me well this year on my NM elk hunt in mid October.

OP
Bigfeet

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I think the Jetstream might fit the bill nicely for a jacket - just wish it came in Elevated II. The bib seems to be a tougher thing to find. If Sitka made a Mountain pant in a bib....

Love the Jetstream jacket. Knocks wind very well and pit zips to dump heat when active. Capable of wide range of temps depending on layers underneath. Recent example in Low 20s with 10+ MPH wind and was comfortable with FL merino base layer, apex hoody and Jetstream. I’d say XLT for your height/weight.

BigFaus

FNG
I have been leaning towards the new fanatic jacket and bibs for the cold hardwoods of North East PA. I think it would be the perfect setup for my style. I just dont know if I can justify the price tag, or at least waiting for a sale. Im sure you cant go wrong with anything you choose.