Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody...Info

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for a bit more info on the new Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody...looks like they should be hitting dealers very soon (or already there).

Anyone know the weights on a size Large and/or Extra Large?

Will this piece have a DWR finish similar to the other Kelvin pieces (Active Jacket and Lite Hoody)? I know this doesn't have full sleeves, but still curious on the outer finish/layer.

Thanks in advance!

Trial153

WKR
From handling this I can’t see how it can have any type of DWR finish on it. Looks interesting for sure, it true to size as well.... that said I am not sold on it. I can’t find a place to fit this in.

Elkangle

WKR
I have one ordered...plan on using it as a early season peice in place of kelvin lite

Between a base layer, fanatic, and this I should be good for anything September...pluss it looks really really comfy

There is some commentary in the 2019 sitka thread.

I fondled one at a show earlier this year. Short sleeves, no liner. It is a bit of an odd piece. Super light but very specialized. I have heard to was specifically meant to complement the apex hoody and the sleeveless thing is a result of the elbow pads.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
There is some commentary in the 2019 sitka thread.

I fondled one at a show earlier this year. Short sleeves, no liner. It is a bit of an odd piece. Super light but very specialized. I have heard to was specifically meant to complement the apex hoody and the sleeveless thing is a result of the elbow pads.
Thanks for the feedback. I have yet to check one out in person as I wasn't able to get to a show.

I understand the claim it's for not limiting the elbow pads, but I could care less about that! I own the shacket and love it for what it is...providing the extra warmth where needed without any additional bulk on the forearms for bow hunting. So I was hoping this hoody would provide similar features, while being a lighter weight insulating piece for western hunting (merino base, potential Kelvin hoody mid-layer, then puffy coat outer if needed).

I guess I will need to check it out in person to determine if it will be a good option for a mid-layer, or if it won't provide any improvement (as far as warmth, less weight, light wind blocking, etc.) over what I already have (currently debating using my 18oz fanatic hoody as my mid-layer)...

After you commented, I found a couple comments on the Kelvin hoody, but figured a dedicated thread to a new piece of gear can't hurt...too much anyway!

Sure. I suspect it is going to be a love it or hate it thing. For my $ I would have preferred a more traditional vest or just add a hood to the current kelvin active jacket.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a Rab Alpha Freak hoody. Same insulation, solid color, with sleeves!, and a hood, for less than half of this Bill Belichick inspired piece. Get way more use out of it as a solid color than the camo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just looking for a bit more info on the new Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody...looks like they should be hitting dealers very soon (or already there).

Will this piece have a DWR finish similar to the other Kelvin pieces (Active Jacket and Lite Hoody)? I know this doesn't have full sleeves, but still curious on the outer finish/layer.

Thanks in advance!

Sitka sent one this winter for me to try out, I will weigh it today and let you know.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Rab Alpha Freak hoody. Same insulation, solid color, with sleeves!, and a hood, for less than half of this Bill Belichick inspired piece. Get way more use out of it as a solid color than the camo.

I saw your post the other day about the Rab Alpha. If you get a chance, can you weigh it and let me know what it rings in at?

The Rab does look like it has a lot of potential for mid-layer insulation. My "concern" (if you'll even call it that) is the exterior of the Rab not having any outer layer/face fabric to it...From the posting on 1ShotGear (and a quick YouTube clip on it), the Kelvin Active Hoody has a nylon face to it that is coated with DWR.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I saw your post the other day about the Rab Alpha. If you get a chance, can you weigh it and let me know what it rings in at?

The Rab does look like it has a lot of potential for mid-layer insulation. My "concern" (if you'll even call it that) is the exterior of the Rab not having any outer layer/face fabric to it...From the posting on 1ShotGear (and a quick YouTube clip on it), the Kelvin Active Hoody has a nylon face to it that is coated with DWR.
I don't know if it's coated with DWR, but with that brushed face it's gonna wet out quick just like brushed face rain gear. The Rab I have is gonna be a little heavier because it's a heavier version of the Direct insulation. I think the Active hoody uses a lighter version of it. Rab and some others make lighter versions as well with the same insulation weight as the Sitka piece. I'll have to weigh it this weekend when I get back home. In the process of moving so my scale is packed somewhere I'll have to locate it.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks in advance!

Sitka's Kelvin Active Hoody has a 4-way stretch face fabric finished with a Durable Water Repellent. I just weighed a size large on our shipping scale and it came in at 12.8 oz. Hope that helps!

Elkangle

WKR
What is your initial impression of the hoody ??

12 ounces might be able to push into October

Thanks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is your initial impression of the hoody ??

12 ounces might be able to push into October

Thanks

It's an interesting piece for sure. The cropped sleeves design reduces bulk, improves bowstring clearance, and pairs well with the Apex Hoody's elbow pads when worn as a base layer.

I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but I do like the over sized handwarmer pocket. It has Polartec Alpha insulation which feels great. Overall I think it's a nice alternative for people that aren't a fan of vests and looking for something warmer than a short sleeve shirt.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
It's an interesting piece for sure. The cropped sleeves design reduces bulk, improves bowstring clearance, and pairs well with the Apex Hoody's elbow pads when worn as a base layer.

I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but I do like the over sized handwarmer pocket. It has Polartec Alpha insulation which feels great. Overall I think it's a nice alternative for people that aren't a fan of vests and looking for something warmer than a short sleeve shirt.
Thanks Scott!

Even thou you haven't had much time with it, can you provide a quick comparison (as far as your thoughts/estimates) on its potential level of warmth/insulation vs pieces such as the active jacket, heavyweight hoody, fanatic hoody? In regards to the main body and upper arms (as if the other pieces mentioned had lower sleeves removed)...

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Scott!

Even thou you haven't had much time with it, can you provide a quick comparison (as far as your thoughts/estimates) on its potential level of warmth/insulation vs pieces such as the active jacket, heavyweight hoody, fanatic hoody? In regards to the main body and upper arms (as if the other pieces mentioned had lower sleeves removed)...

Looking at the stats gives me a good idea about when to use this shacket. It only has 90-gram Polartec® Alpha® direct insulation compared to the Kelvin Active Jackets 80gr Polartec Alpha Insulation. Personally wearing this thing around I would say it holds in more heat then any hoody Sitka makes that I have played with so far. This short sleeve jacket in my eyes has only two uses in the field that I can think of right now. One is an outer layer over any core layer or even the Apex Hoody which this shacket was designed to go over the top of so you can still utilize and access the elbow pads during those cooler mornings. The second is I like mine a lot under my Jetstream jacket. The Jetstream has very form fitting arms and this shacket fits perfect under mine and combined with the Jetstream's ability to resist the weather it will make a very warm and stealth upper layer during those early fall hunts.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"

Just weighed it. My XL comes in at 14.4oz. Lighter than I thought it was. I'm not complaining.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Just weighed it. My XL comes in at 14.4oz. Lighter than I thought it was. I'm not complaining.

Great weight on that Rab with 200gm alpha ins.

Since it doesn't look like the Rab has much of an outer shell/face to it, how do you think it'll hold up if worn as an outer layer while hunting, moving thru brush, carrying a pack, etc.?

Again, thanks for the input!

I have one. It’s interesting. It’s very warm for its weight. And quiet. I can see the point of the sleeveless but I also think adding sleeves would make it perfect. I like hoods! The no Sleeves are nice for bowhunting. Similar to a vest use