Sitka kelvin active warmth?

Trial153

WKR
Perfect! I usually run a puffy or before than a Jetstream vest, but this looks like a more versatile option than a vest for taking the chill off while hiking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The only thing it won't do is cut the wind. Since I am almost never with out a shell of some type that's a non issue for me. I don't profess this to take the place of a good puffy in every instance ..for example this would not be my first choice for a sheep or goat hunt where I was either walking or parked ....however for a lot of in between and most elk hunting I can see this getting the nod for me and as a layer it's beats a nylon puffy in many respects.

The only thing it won't do is cut the wind. Since I am almost never with out a shell of some type that's a non issue for me. I don't profess this to take the place of a good puffy in every instance ..for example this would not be my first choice for a sheep or goat hunt where I was either walking or parked ....however for a lot of in between and most elk hunting I can see this getting the nod for me and as a layer it's beats a nylon puffy in many respects.
I've got a very serious relationship with my Kifaru Lost Park Parka so Im not too worried. Breathable would make it perfect! Thanks for the enabling!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree. If I use a heavier weight base layer I am stuck with it for the day for the most part. Not so with a piece like the active. I can run it alone over my base, add a vest over it or run it under my shell. The thing I like best it unlike a standard puffy it's quite enough that I can pull a stalk off in it ...so if i shed my shell I can still wear it. As for cost it's a moot point.

The above is exactly my impression from seeing it in store. Thank you for verifying. It's also how use my kenai. This active insulation trend definitely has it's place.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I wore my Kelvin Active jacket a few mornings at the end of my two weeks of elk hunting in AZ. It is quiet and warm. Can't say it is as warm as the Kelvin light, but I'd never put that over anything while hunting. The KAJ was really nice to throw on when you knew you would be sitting and calling for a bit and it didn't need to be stripped off to then change locations. Added it on for a few after dark long side by side rides and it cut the wind and cold nicely. Much better than I anticipated. I'm impressed.