Sitka Kelvin Aerolite Sleeping Bag ?

I like the design and think it would have some very practical applications, beyond a sleeping bag- particularly glassing in cool to cold weather

Weight is a little high for a 30 degree bag, but with that weight comes quite a few features a bag doesn't have.

Personally I'd prefer a synthetic bag in Apex Climashield over Primaloft, the Primaloft is slightly warmer/weight than Apex, but short staple fibers don't have a good track record for longevity- continuous fibers like Apex, do.

Agreed on Apex! This thing will probably have significant loft degradation after a couple week long trips.

My biggest struggle with cold weather glassing is keeping feet warm. I think this thing might help with that.

In regards to weight/warmth, for a true 27 degree comfort rating in synthetic it would be pretty competitive. Honestly it seems impossibly light for that rating with the additional zippers and 20d fabric. The catch is it seems that the rating might be based upon using additional layers which is misleading.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The MLD Spirit 28 (Apex) weighs 23 oz in size Large, albeit a quilt; this weighs almost a full pound more so the rating seems plausible. I’ve had my Spirit down to the freezing mark several times and feel the rating is pretty close.

The Spirit doesn’t have any zippers either and as you point out along with the 20d, adds weight there.

Primaloft is also a little warmer/weight vs Apex (but gives up some longevity)

Call me interested. I have been liking my hill people gear serape for a wearable blanket but it is bulky and heavy for its warmth. No way i would want to do 30* n it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like the concept and have used a bag while glassing before a lot. You still lose a ton of heat draping it and/or screwing around with your boots. This seems functional as an early season glassing & bivy tool to replace a puffy jacket and pants.

I wasnt a fan of how to get below 30 you have layer the f up. That seems to defeat the purpose.
Doesn't really defeat the purpose. If you're already carrying puffy gear why not use them at night? What defeats the purpose is carrying a heavier bag PLUS insulation layers, and only use them one at a time. Mountaineers have been doing this for decades. Put that gear you're already carrying to work. Makes a 20 to 30 degree bag a helluva lot more versatile than a colder rated bag that may get used a few days a year. With the right layers you can take a lot of higher rated bags to cold temps comfortably. Not endorsing this bag, these idiots can't even list the internal dimensions, but just throwing out a justification for layering up at night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I don't see this as a replacement for an appropriately rated sleeping bag/quilt for a long trip in colder weather, but do see it useful on long day hunts where there is a chance of an unplanned overnight. Or a couple day trip where temps are expected near (or slightly below) the rating of this bag.

The ability to use this as an insulating piece for glassing (in addition to sleeping bag) is where it really shines imo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm not sure I want to wear ALL my clothes to bed in the fall.
No one said you would have to. You literally jumped straight to the most extreme example.

huntcoop

WKR
No one said you would have to. You literally jumped straight to the most extreme example.

Kinda like every photo and video ya see is of John Barklow or Adam Foss wearing/using it in cold extremes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Sitka fan to the core just skeptical on the Oodie design with minimal insulation.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Looks nice for an unexpected Bivy but I’d hate to be sleeping in all sorts of clothes the rest of the time.

I usually keep a set of lightweight merino stuff just for sleeping, it’s nice to put on something cleaner and get in the bag at night.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Aerolite is comfort rated for 30 degrees, so should be fine with just light base layers to that temperature, below that temperature, you'll definitely want to be adding layers- no different than any other 30 degree bag/quilt

LJ Buck

WKR
Sitka makes their products for some of the most extreme hunting environments in the world. Most western hunters never experience conditions or hunt enough days to see the value in many of their items.
they also list out what clothing system is needed to have this bag rated all the way down to 10deg, which is a very versatile bag with that info.

HuntWyld

WKR
Sitka makes their products for some of the most extreme hunting environments in the world. Most western hunters never experience conditions or hunt enough days to see the value in many of their items.
they also list out what clothing system is needed to have this bag rated all the way down to 10deg, which is a very versatile bag with that info
they also list out what clothing system is needed to have this bag rated all the way down to 10deg, which is a very versatile bag with that info.
Where did you find the specific layering info at?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you scroll down towards the bottom you’ll see a 20 degree and a 10 degree recommendation for layers

it also included insulated booties which they don’t sell

sneaky

"DADDY"
From pics I saw of the label it looked like it says 38 comfort rating 28 limit rating, and like 5 extreme or somewhere in that range. About on par with any other bag. I don't think Sitka's systems are any different than any other systems from different brands, and plenty of western hunters push gear to the limits. They make solid gear, I own a bunch, but this is just their take on a design style that's been out for a while from other mountaineering brands. This is just targeted towards hunters.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ they list it as 30 degree comfort, 38 degrees is almost a 10 degree difference- big difference imo; I'd want to know that little detail before springing for the bag

"ISO 23537, 30-degree comfort rating"

sneaky

"DADDY"
^ they list it as 30 degree comfort, 38 degrees is almost a 10 degree difference- big difference imo; I'd want to know that little detail before springing for the bag

"ISO 23537, 30-degree comfort rating"
This is straight off their website
a501bfa6ae8d2ac8601cda319b553ee7.jpg

WCB

WKR
Seems like a solution looking for a problem for most guys. I just see more zippers to break and good ways for my sleeping bag to get wet, dirtier than normal, or ripped.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is straight off their website
a501bfa6ae8d2ac8601cda319b553ee7.jpg

they should probably fix their description, buying a 30 degree bag only to find out it’s a 40 degree bag might upset someone :D