sitka kelvin light hoody vs jetstream jacket

bb1379

FNG
trying to decide on an outer layer for October/November in eastern Wyoming/montana deer country. ive got it narrowed to these two. I know the Jetstream is supposed to be better at blocking the wind and little better in rain, but its performance fit and im not a performance fit guy. 5'11" and 220lbs. (im working on the 220 part). I just got an apex hoody which is standard fit, and love it and have room to layer yet its not overly baggy. im leaning towards the kelvin light jacket because of the standard fit. I normally wear an XL in jackets. a local store had a LARGE Jetstream I tried on and it was super tight. my APEX is XXL. what's the opinion on the warmth comparison and can anyone tell me how drastic the difference is in fit between the 2 styles? thank you

If you're wanting it for an outer layer the Jetstream is the way to go. Windproof and a whole lot more durable than the Kelvin. The Kelvin is akin to any other puffy style coat. Their warmth is great but they leave a lot ot be desired when it comes to durability. I use a Jetstream jacket a lot and will layer a puffy under it depending on temps

KurtR

WKR
Those two pieces are intended for way different uses. Call and visit with Sitka they will get you lined out

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve only hunted in Oct/Nov once, and the jetstream was awesome for that, but back then I didn’t own a puffy to compare against.

The Kelvin lite is not an outer layer, but paired up with rain jacket (to act as a wind blocker) you can get quite a bit of versatility out of it. Not as breathable or quiet of a shell, but it’s all about trade-offs.

You can’t cheat the mountain

tlkaetz

WKR
The Kelvin Lite is one of my favorite pieces that Sitka makes. Like others have said, it is great under a rain shell. The wind cuts right through it though. With any kind of of wind you would be freezing in just the Kelvin.

K_pem

WKR
Id personally be sweating my ass off using the kelvin light as an outer layer, its deffinitely more of a sitting still layer. I always rock either my jetstream jacket or vest for late season, it seriously blocks wind like a champ, is relatively water resistant and is fairly warm with the right layers. When hiking or higher output comes, drop the pit zips and zipper down and you can air it out pretty well.

If i had to choose one, Jetstream hands down, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus a half decent puffy will be a lot easier and cheaper to find than something to take the Jetstreams place IMO.

tntrker

WKR
both, Jetstream for any kind of stalking/movement and the Kelvin lite for sitting still glassing/horseback..