Sitka Kelvin Lite Down Jacket and Pant Review, By Tony Trietch

CullenMS

FNG
Super helpful write-up Justin. I've spent a decent amount of time comparing/contrasting Kelvin Lite Down Jacked vs. Kuiu SD vs. FL Uncompahgre. So far, I'm super happy with the jacket. As you mentioned, it's definitely a bit noisier than other puffy jackets out there - but that's a non issue for me for spotting/sleeping. Only other thing I'd add is sizing...super frustrating how much sizing can vary between manufacturers and even with manufacturers line-up. I was swimming in my FL XL gear, so I purchased the Sitka KLD in a L...which ended up being quite tight (6'2", 190 lbs). I turned around and picked up the XL and fits well...just wish they offered it in a tall.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Super helpful write-up Justin. I've spent a decent amount of time comparing/contrasting Kelvin Lite Down Jacked vs. Kuiu SD vs. FL Uncompahgre. So far, I'm super happy with the jacket. As you mentioned, it's definitely a bit noisier than other puffy jackets out there - but that's a non issue for me for spotting/sleeping. Only other thing I'd add is sizing...super frustrating how much sizing can vary between manufacturers and even with manufacturers line-up. I was swimming in my FL XL gear, so I purchased the Sitka KLD in a L...which ended up being quite tight (6'2", 190 lbs). I turned around and picked up the XL and fits well...just wish they offered it in a tall.
With FL/KUIU/Sitka i find the fit of FL the largest, Sitka in 2nd and KUIU the tightest and most random depending on the piece. I had the KLD jacket in XL and L, i ended up keeping the L and selling XL. My thoughts on the jacket are if you want it to go over Base > Mid Layer like HW Hoody it is perfectly matched to that. If you intend to put it over something like a Jetstream you have to size up. I tested this with Base + KAJ + KLD and it is almost max for my body(2 insulation pieces that don't stretch as much i feel is the issue here). Base + HW Hoody fits perfect and moves with my body. Reference i'm 5'11" 36" arms 35" waist 44.5" chest. Everything i own in Sitka is L or LT and FL is L. Kuiu i've got a mixed bag depending on piece

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
so after wearing this for a few black bear day hunts this spring, i now realize i need an LT or go back to the XL. The length of the jacket on torso seems a bit short and when i have it on and bend down or sit it will slightly ride up and become uncomfortable. It might have to do with the elastic waist band on the jacket vs a cinch to lock it down which causes this...but rather disappointed as i only tested my XL around the house and not in real world situations. Hopefully they release a LT this year for sizing

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
so after wearing this for a few black bear day hunts this spring, i now realize i need an LT or go back to the XL. The length of the jacket on torso seems a bit short and when i have it on and bend down or sit it will slightly ride up and become uncomfortable. It might have to do with the elastic waist band on the jacket vs a cinch to lock it down which causes this...but rather disappointed as i only tested my XL around the house and not in real world situations. Hopefully they release a LT this year for sizing
How tall are you and do you have long arms? It might help some of the others that are similarly built.

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
The KUIU Super Down pant just doesn’t seem very warm when sitting around glassing. For what they are supposed to be, the seem a bit too light. The down does not loft as well as I would expect either. (I’ve been sitting them properly and “fluff” them everyone once in awhile to try to maintain what loft there is.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
The KUIU Super Down pant just doesn’t seem very warm when sitting around glassing. For what they are supposed to be, the seem a bit too light. The down does not loft as well as I would expect either. (I’ve been sitting them properly and “fluff” them everyone once in awhile to try to maintain what loft there is.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think you might be in the wrong thread

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
Think you might be in the wrong thread
I don't believe this is the wrong thread. There was discussion comparing the Sitka gear with Kuiu gear. The discussion was silent on the pants so I added my experience. Thanks for your concern.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe this is the wrong thread. There was discussion comparing the Sitka gear with Kuiu gear. The discussion was silent on the pants so I added my experience. Thanks for your concern.
apologies didn't see the comparison with the pants. Are you talking the Super Down Ultra or Pro? Or originals?