Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody Fit and Opinions?

Looking to get a Kelvin Lite Hoody. I wear XL in everything Sitka and it fits perfect, almost tailored fit (except the heavyweight hoody, I wear a Large). Ive seen some old classifieds where guys are looking to size up from L to XL, and some other complaints about sleeves being tight and underarms restrictive.

I have popeye forearms and a big chest - anyone know if this piece has been updated recently, or just have overall general opinions of it?

Follow up question: I have a Kelvin Active Jacket, Traverse Hoody and Kelvin Lite Vest. Do you think the Kelvin Lite hoody is redundant with already having those 3 pieces? I'm not wild about the traverse hoody mostly due to sleeve length being long (I only bowhunt), so I may swap out the Kelvin lite hoody for it should I get it. I could always lop some sleeve length off the traverse if the Kelvin Lite is too restrictive.

Thanks in advance.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one on the other day in the store and I fit XL in other Sitka jackets also. It was nice. I look forward to getting one.

Semper Fi

GPool1842

WKR
I couldn’t get the kelvin lite to feel comfortable without sizing up. I’m 6’ 180 and wear a 32T and L in all Sitka. Had to go to the XL in this one unfortunately, which was very surprising to me (don’t own anything else XL period). It was tight under the arms, real tight. If you are saying you are Popeye build, I would lean toward sizing up. Just my advice. I do not have any of the other puffy pieces you listed.

I am planning to pick up the Kelvin Active this year in size L though. I’m cold natured, so probably will take it and the kelvin down in with me. Not positive yet.

OP
TheBootBowhunting
Ah, thanks. I already ordered it earlier this morning in XL. Ill report back when it comes in to update the thread for those who may come along.

Its listed as standard fit, youd think it would be on the looser side. The kelvin active jacket is listed as performance (more athletic cut) and it fits fine in XL. The way they size it, the kelvin lite should fit looser than the kelvin active. We will see how that works.

Then again the heavyweight hoody is performance fit, and its the only piece Ive had to size down on.

Hmmm. I am going to look past the fact that you are a Marine and offer thoughts, but only because you are a fellow Louisianan.

I have the same line up of Sitka jackets you have and the kelvin lite Hoody. Pretty sure mine is of the latest design as I bought it in 2019 or late 2018. My XXL fits similar to other Sitka XXL pieces with the exception of the forearms which a slim IMO. Mine fit but don’t allow a lot of layering underneath. I don’t consider this a problem and it allows for the jacket to be used as a mid layer which I have done under my jetstream jacket Once or twice.

as far as being redundant, I am not sure. I have worn my kelvin active with my kelvin lite vest and feel like that kept me pretty warm, although I do like the option of a hood. I have and like the traverse. It is not as Warm and compressible as the kelvin lite hoody but it is quite a bit quieter. IMO the kelvin lite vest or hoody are not the best out layers for bow hunting due to noise. The nylon exterior puts off a lot of swishing noise even with minimal movement.

I wouldn’t tell you not to buy it but I can’t say you are picking up a ton of function over your existing jackets.

Last edited:
OP
TheBootBowhunting
I'm thinking the XL will be ok. I like tight fitting forearms (to a degree) because I only bowhunt - which is the reason I'm not thrilled with the Traverse hoody because the sleeves are longer and bulky. I can fix them by cutting and getting them hemmed I guess. My favorite sitka piece at the moment is the Kelvin Active Hoody, which is described by most as 'goofy' because of the short sleeves. I will report back here when the kelvin lite hoody comes in so it helps anyone in the future.

Cant help you with the Army thing though. It is what it is. Oorah and Go Tigahs.

406unltd

WKR
You should be good with the xl. I went xlt only because I wanted a longer tail and sleeves as the xl was noticeably short for me when I moved my arms up/out. It ended up being a little long but atleast I have coverage. Here’s how it fits. I have other Sitka sizing type videos to help guys out too.

OP
TheBootBowhunting
Nice review, covered all the bases. People can really mess up a review on youtube by not spending more time on the fit and sizing. You did a nice job laying all that out. Im guessing it will be in on tues or wed and Ill know for sure, but I think youre right that the xl should work.

Scorpion

WKR
Keep us posted on your thoughts. I tried the Active Hoody on he other day and felt the XL was too snug in the arms and shoulders. Much tighter than the Traverse or the Active Jacket that I have, both in XL. If you plan to layer underneath a Jetstream or something similar I think it’ll be okay. Probably too snug to wear a Core Lightweight and Heavyweight underneath it without sizing up. Fit in the body was good for me with the XL though. I’m 5’10” 225.

OP
TheBootBowhunting
To put a bow on this thread....

The Kelvin Lite Hoody came in today. Fit is perfect. To recap, I wear XL in everything Sitka except the Heavyweight hoody, which is a L.

Kelvin Lite Hoody - In between Active Jacket and Traverse in body fit, easily tightest in the forearms. I have pretty big forearms and its tight-ish, but I only bowhunt and this will work for me. If I layer, I could fit the heavyweight hoody or core lightweight under it, but that would be the limit. I could fit a jetstream vest in XL over or under this piece. I can see this getting a lot of use. I dont feel like its restricted under the arms like Ive read in some reviews. Maybe the fit has been updated since those reviews.

Traverse Hoody - Loosest fit in the body, longest and bulkiest arms. Not sure if this will see a lot of wear. Flip side, if I get the sleeves cut/hemmed, it would probably completely change how much I use it. I like material inside and outside as much as any of these pieces.

Kelvin Active Jacket - Least amount of body room, middle of the road in arm bulk/length. Probably the shortest fit of the ones listed If youre over about 5'9 you might look into XLT. Im not sure why they left the hood off of this one. Probably to sell more of the Kelvin Active Hoody, which is probably my favorite Sitka layering piece.

If anyone (short, squatty types) have any other questions, let me know.

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
To put a bow on this thread....

The Kelvin Lite Hoody came in today. Fit is perfect. To recap, I wear XL in everything Sitka except the Heavyweight hoody, which is a L.

Kelvin Lite Hoody - In between Active Jacket and Traverse in body fit, easily tightest in the forearms. I have pretty big forearms and its tight-ish, but I only bowhunt and this will work for me. If I layer, I could fit the heavyweight hoody or core lightweight under it, but that would be the limit. I could fit a jetstream vest in XL over or under this piece. I can see this getting a lot of use. I dont feel like its restricted under the arms like Ive read in some reviews. Maybe the fit has been updated since those reviews.

Traverse Hoody - Loosest fit in the body, longest and bulkiest arms. Not sure if this will see a lot of wear. Flip side, if I get the sleeves cut/hemmed, it would probably completely change how much I use it. I like material inside and outside as much as any of these pieces.

Kelvin Active Jacket - Least amount of body room, middle of the road in arm bulk/length. Probably the shortest fit of the ones listed If youre over about 5'9 you might look into XLT. Im not sure why they left the hood off of this one. Probably to sell more of the Kelvin Active Hoody, which is probably my favorite Sitka layering piece.

If anyone (short, squatty types) have any other questions, let me know.
How’s the noise on the kelvin lite? I have been debating whether or not to get it or the traverse cold weather hoody. I have a Sitka heavy weight zip T and the Arma hoody from kryptek, which I would think would be comparable to the traverse CW when worn together, but not for sure. I’m mostly worried about the noise on the Kelvin Lite since I am also a bow hunter

OP
TheBootBowhunting
How’s the noise on the kelvin lite? I have been debating whether or not to get it or the traverse cold weather hoody. I have a Sitka heavy weight zip T and the Arma hoody from kryptek, which I would think would be comparable to the traverse CW when worn together, but not for sure. I’m mostly worried about the noise on the Kelvin Lite since I am also a bow hunter

There’s a trade off. I own both, I only bowhunt as well. The sleeves on the traverse hoody are far bulkier than the kelvin lite, it’s not close. The traverse as a whole is bulkier for that matter. But it’s quieter. I don’t find the kelvin lite too loud, if I had to go with just 1 I’d go with the kelvin lite. Can’t see using the the traverse until later season in the stand.

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a trade off. I own both, I only bowhunt as well. The sleeves on the traverse hoody are far bulkier than the kelvin lite, it’s not close. The traverse as a whole is bulkier for that matter. But it’s quieter. I don’t find the kelvin lite too loud, if I had to go with just 1 I’d go with the kelvin lite. Can’t see using the the traverse until later season in the stand.
Well hmm that’s what I was hoping to use the kelvin lite for was later season stand sits. I don’t have any kind of puffy right now, so I was hoping it would fill in some gaps. I think my arma hoody is loose enough that I could fit the kelvin lite under and maybe reduce some noise. Do you think that would be a good option?

OP
TheBootBowhunting
Well hmm that’s what I was hoping to use the kelvin lite for was later season stand sits. I don’t have any kind of puffy right now, so I was hoping it would fill in some gaps. I think my arma hoody is loose enough that I could fit the kelvin lite under and maybe reduce some noise. Do you think that would be a good option?

Yeah, I bought the Traverse Hoody first. If I had bought the Kelvin Lite first, I wouldn't own the Traverse. I think youll be fine going with the Kelvin Lite.

tonedover

FNG
Great insulated jacket - i just wore mine under the old version of the mountain jacket for a cool morning stand hunt. Armpits and forearms are tight - if between sizes i vote you go up

These for small for me. I am in between a large and a medium and the large was barely big enough for me.