Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody vs Kifaru LPP

Tyler127

WKR
Can someone that has had both the above jackets give a comparison on the warmth between the two? I know it is subjective per each person, but hoping someone that has had both can provide some insight.

I have the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody and it has work well for Antelope hunts in late August/early September, but I have a late October hunt this year in Wyoming and I feel it will not be warm enough. I used it for 3rd rifle last year in Colorado, but the weather was really nice so it was never an issue. I'm looking at the LPP, but I'm open to other options. I want something warm that will be used just for sitting and glassing. I don't plan on wearing it while hiking/moving. This will be a base camp hunt so weight is not primary concern. Main concern is warmth, durability and to a smaller degree price. This piece would only be used on this type hunt as I live in Ohio and use the Sitka Fanatic bibs/jacket for hunting here in late season.

Thanks!

I had the Kelvin and now have 2 of the LPP full-zips. I use them for more than just a glassing coat, so the durability aspect was a significant factor for me. The LPP wins hands down for me. I often wear the LPP with just a cotton T-shirt here at home with temps in the low 30’s and never get cold. Now, that’s not sitting still for hours at a time though. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the Kifaru, especially with the appropriate base layers under it for the conditions. It’s certainly not the lightest coat, but it’s way more durable than those ultralight/ultra packable down pieces that others so highly recommend. Even elk hunting in Sept, I stuff it down in my pack as a “just in case” type thing if I were to end up sleeping out in the woods for some reason like an injury or freak storm.

tlkaetz

WKR
I have had both and love both. The LPP is significantly more warm than the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody. I would highly recommend the Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody for long sits in late October. I actually layer the WS Hoody over the Lite Hoody when it is really cold.

As said above, the LPP is warmer. I have both and have used both for several seasons. I am on my 2nd kelvin lite, and have the half zip LPP.

If it’s for sure going to be cold and I will be doing some sitting the LPP gets the nod. But the kelvin lite is pretty good for a sept coat here in Colorado. But October and 3rd season, it’s not even close, go LPP or the warmer Sitka one mentioned above, the WS.

Last edited:
OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
I have had both and love both. The LPP is significantly more warm than the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody. I would highly recommend the Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody for long sits in late October. I actually layer the WS Hoody over the Lite Hoody when it is really cold.

I've looked at the Sitka WS Hoody. I wish it came in a non-camo color. $400 for a jacket to be used maybe a couple of times is tough to spend that kind of money. If they had it in "dirt" color like the Kelvin Lite I think I would go that route.

tracker12

WKR
It’s a shame they don’t find more solid for all of their gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I wish they would standardize the colors also. Som in grey some in brown. Also wish the Dirt was darker. Dirt is to light for out east for my liking

And I wish they would standardize the colors also. Som in grey some in brown. Also wish the Dirt was darker. Dirt is to light for out east for my liking

I agree about the color. That’s why I made sure I didn’t get coyote for my pack here in Alabama. I don’t want to look like a deer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hehaka bloka

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a South Dakota boy and have both the Kelvin lite and WS hoody. I would definately recommend the WS hoody during the winter. Its extremely warm and wind proof. Best of luck

OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Still trying decide what to do. I've been researching non-camo options so I would be able to use it more than just for glassing.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I would say basically the same thing as everyone else. Durability goes to Kifaru and same for warmth. The ws kelvin would be great for late season cold and wind.

Well now I own the Kelvin lite, LPP, and picked up a Kelvin WS.

kelvin lite; light, compresses small, fairly warm...cut to layer under a rain shell. Woukd be in in my pack during scouting and sept.

LPP; heavier than the kelvin lite but warmer. I do not like the hood, I zip it off and carry the Sitka ballistic beanie with it. Not near as “backpack friendly” and doesn’t compress as small, but this is an October jacket that’s bombproof. I carried to Kodiak twice and still wouldn’t take anything else.

kelvin WS; cannot speak to warmth yet, but this is cut for what I wanted it to be. A pure late rifle season jacket that will go over the top of multiple layers and not compress and get cold spots. It’s got a nice long tail and plenty of room. I personally view this jacket as more of a basecamp/truck hunt nov/dec late cow hunt type jacket where it’s in your day pack and you get to your spot for the morning, and this monster just slips right over everything you have on and you’re ready to sit for 3 hours.

OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
Well now I own the Kelvin lite, LPP, and picked up a Kelvin WS.

kelvin lite; light, compresses small, fairly warm...cut to layer under a rain shell. Woukd be in in my pack during scouting and sept.

LPP; heavier than the kelvin lite but warmer. I do not like the hood, I zip it off and carry the Sitka ballistic beanie with it. Not near as “backpack friendly” and doesn’t compress as small, but this is an October jacket that’s bombproof. I carried to Kodiak twice and still wouldn’t take anything else.

kelvin WS; cannot speak to warmth yet, but this is cut for what I wanted it to be. A pure late rifle season jacket that will go over the top of multiple layers and not compress and get cold spots. It’s got a nice long tail and plenty of room. I personally view this jacket as more of a basecamp/truck hunt nov/dec late cow hunt type jacket where it’s in your day pack and you get to your spot for the morning, and this monster just slips right over everything you have on and you’re ready to sit for 3 hours.

Brightwhite,

Thanks for the info on the 3 jackets. I ordered the LPP and based on your review it should work fine for me. Most of my western hunts are Aug-Oct so the Kelvin WS seemed overkill for what I needed.

Once November comes I'm back in Ohio for whitetail and I have the Fanatic Lite & Fanatic for that. I didn't see the Kelvin WS being a jacket I would wear in the stand while bowhunting whitetails even in late season. The Fanatic jacket has work great for me in temps to the single digits for here at home.

I am slightly concerned on the fit/hood of the LPP. It doesn't seemed as refined in fitment as the Sitka jackets. But, I figured since it will be mostly used for sitting/glassing/around camp it would not be as big as deal as a jacket I would be hiking/moving in a lot. It should be delivered next week so I will know for sure then. Thanks again!

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve owned the LPP for years but never wear it b/c it’s never cold enough (live in TX). My Mtn hunts are usually September, only time I’ve ever needed it was Aoudad hunting WEst TX in January when they got a freak record low cold front. Daytime highs were in the 20’s and we were doing a lot of glassing. The LPP worked amazingly well for that, but it’s literally the only time I could wear it w/o getting too hot!

The Kelvin WS is intriguing to me but I just don’t think I have enough use for it. I have the Kelvin (non- WS) that I’ve used a handful of times. Great layer piece, and I can throw my Stone Glacier rain shell over the top of it to cut the wind if needed.

You can’t cheat the mountain