Sitka Kodiak Jacket- anyone using it in the lower 48

I see that there are some deals out there on the 2019 Sitka and looking at the Kodiak Jacket for hunting and fishing here in Oregon. We get lots of rain. Anyone own one of these and what are your thoughts. We do a horse Elk trip each year and this seems like it would work great for that with the 2 length choices. They say it is 26 oz but will mostly be on horses or walking. Not going to pack it in.
I have the cold front and many pieces already and wonder if I would be just duplicating.
Love to hear the Rokslide hardcore view.
Thanks
Jeff

AlaskaEd

WKR
I almost bought the Kodiak jacket when it first came out because I love a 3/4 length raincoat with hip waders when moose hunting. Even though I’m a Sitka fan I realized it would do nothing better than the Helly Hansen impertech I’ve used for years and couldn’t part with the car payment amount of money for something that wasn’t really needed.

I really wanted to like it, but it just doesn’t beat out real rain gear except for weight and maybe breathability, but no one is counting ounces or burning calories with a long jacket. It’s pretty much for being still and staying dry. I guess that’s why they only made it for a year or so. The Impertech for under $100 is the way to go for that type of jacket IMHO.

I picked on up this past year on sale from sitka for just over $200 new.

I bought it to wear with hip boots but even snapped up in shorter mode it works good.

My only use so far has been work related but it keeps me dry. Really well built. Not for packing.

OP
Laughingmallard
Thanks guys for your input. I may hold off unless I hear some more positive feedback.

I considered buying one, thinking it would replace my Sitka Blizzard Jacket. A co-worker that also is a fishing guide bought one to wear while fishing in the colder/wetter months. When he got it, I couldn't believe how light it felt. For the $$$, I thought there would be more insulation, there is hardly any at all.
He loves it for what he bought it for (cooler weather rain outerwear), but I'm glad I didn't get one. I love my Sitka Blizzard for cool weather (Chama Elk hunting).

Kotaman

WKR
I had one. Used it on a moose hunt in Ak and sold it. Too heavy, not packable and takes forever to dry out after being saturated. Your Cold Front is a MUCH better option OP. This jacket would work great for a horseback hunt where you have a nice cabin and fire to dry it out after it got really wet.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had one. Used it on a moose hunt in Ak and sold it. Too heavy, not packable and takes forever to dry out after being saturated. Your Cold Front is a MUCH better option OP. This jacket would work great for a horseback hunt where you have a nice cabin and fire to dry it out after it got really wet.

Does the material have a brushed face? Iv toyed around with the idea of getting one of these for canoe trips where my legs are often getting wet from portaging, but I want something to keep my ass dry when sitting in the boat.

Kotaman

WKR
Does the material have a brushed face? Iv toyed around with the idea of getting one of these for canoe trips where my legs are often getting wet from portaging, but I want something to keep my ass dry when sitting in the boat.

No, it is not brushed fleece at all. Really heavy duty typical Gore product. (Same as last years STorm Front fabric) But when it gets saturated, it's wet and stays wet until you can get it dry on some heat. The Cold Front has a much better exterior IMO. For single uses the Kodiak is a great jacket and may very well suit your needs, but for an extended hunt on Kodiak where you are living in a tent, there are better options.

I have one and love it. I have not experienced the wet out issue mentioned. It totally blocks the wind. The hood tightened is completely functional. However, if you are building body heat, like hiking, you will sweat out and get wet from the inside of the coat.

This coat is not intended to be activewear. It handles a slow to medium paced walk very well, along with just sitting. But if it is actually cold, you will need to layer. I have plenty of different types of rain wear. For non packing use, this is my favorite.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
We love it, Porta-tent over layers. A little heavy to pack but worth extra weight on the right days. Wish it had a split w waterproof zipper in back for on the horse, even thought about sending it out to have one done. Sitka missed that detail. Have not had it wet out too bad. And yes, pretty great over hip boots. Definitely look for the sale price.