SITKA KODIAK JACKET?

Is this adjustable length long coat a smart choice for wet climates like AZ during monsoon season and Alaska or is the Dewpoint jacket & pants a better choice? For this question you are actually on the move (bowhunting) in very wet conditions. At nearly $600 I'm wondering if the Kodiak isn't the lesser choice. Would love to hear feedback from those who have used both. The Dewpoint is the best rain gear I've found thus far.

hqdefault.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
You've obviously never priced the Kryptek Altitude rain gear Elkaholic lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm not sure which is better, but i'm thinking the Kodiak jacket with a pair of gaiters would cover me for 99% of my hunts. Rain pants drive me nuts, at least with the Kodiak you can shorten it to a regular jacket length, then drop it down for really bad weather. Pair that with some good gaiters and be more comfortable.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I'm not sure which is better, but i'm thinking the Kodiak jacket with a pair of gaiters would cover me for 99% of my hunts. Rain pants drive me nuts, at least with the Kodiak you can shorten it to a regular jacket length, then drop it down for really bad weather. Pair that with some good gaiters and be more comfortable.

So is that a long drive or more of a short putt? <g>

sneaky

"DADDY"
My dad would say that's a short trip to drive me nuts, won't even have to pack a lunch

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
You're really talking about the two extremes of their rain gear. The Dewpoint (which is being discontinued) is going to be the absolute lightest but least durable. The Kodiak is going to be up their with the heaviest, but the most durable and waterproof. Check out the Cloudburst, it will be somewhere in between. I would love the Kodiak jacket though. Personally I'd buy it first, and then a cheap pair of extremely light rain pants, since they won't have to do as much work with that long of a jacket.

Bumping this back to the top.

Anyone use these enough to offer thoughts on how they worked? Seems like they are on sale for a fairly deep discount on the Sitka site.

Kotaman

WKR
I've used both in some pretty wet environments. Dewpoint is my "go to" in 90% of my hunting. I've used the Kodiak on Kodiak and West Central AK. The jacket is big and bulky but keeps you dry. The other downside to it is that it takes awhile to dry. For me, it is not a "backpack" option, but a great option for a drive up/cabin situation.

Like stated above, the Dewpoint is discontinued as they have lightened up the new Cloudburst. The Kryptek Altitude Takur is AMAZING rain gear, but requires a mortgage. :)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dewpoint is my favorite rain gear for backpack hunting. In all the rain gear I have tested its the one item I always used as the standard for when ounces count and performance matters. I have yet to try the new Cloudburst... But, I did spend some time using the Kodiak in Western WA over the last year or so. Main use was waterfowl hunting and dog training. Its like the drover jackets of old, but lighter and breathable. : ) I got mine in the solid color and its a tough burly jacket that takes a pounding. I think it works well for wet, muddy conditions. I never did snap the bottom back up, but that is a nice option if you need it.

The Kodiak witha set of hip waders or gaiters is very comfortable for a boat hunt or standing around calling moose. Super easy to control temps