Sitka Layer System Advice

huntuk

FNG
Thinking my layering system will look like this: September (Archery) through November/Dec (Rifle)

Core LW Hoody
Kelvin Active Hoody
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Apex Hoody
Puffy (Non Sitka)
Jetstream Jacket

Apex Pants
Core LW Bottoms
Timberline Pants

Any advice on pieces that are redundant or missing?

Also picked up a Traverse Zip T at a good price and wondering if I should take it back or what piece it replaces?

Is a Traverse Zip-T close to a Apex Hoody?

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on the Apex hoodie and the traverse quarter zip but you do have a lot of hoods so layering might not be very comfortable with the hoods stacked up. The traverse quarter zip is on most of the season for me since it is versatile with the zipper. It depends on whether you treestand hunt or spot and stalk. It looks like you have most everything covered but I would add a mid to heavy weight base bottom if you plan on sitting much. Just watch out for the gear hole, it can get deep real fast 😁

j33

WKR
Traverse zip T is a pretty good layer, I sold mine quickly and felt like it needs to be a full zip. Doesn’t breath well, block wind well and is tough exterior.
For a layer like that I prefer a full zip to dump heat (like the Traverse Hoody), I run a Kuiu Peloton 240 which is similar but not a tough exterior.

T28w

WKR
My only suggestion would be a hard shell over the soft shell. Not sure how much you can layer under the jetstream.

HNTR918

WKR
Starting in September with:

Lightweight base layers.
Ascent Pants.
Kelvin Active Jacket.
Neck Gaiter.
Baseball Cap.
Merino Beanie.
Merino Gloves.
Stormfront Gaiters.
Cloudburst Jacket.
Sock liner & thin wool socks.
Crispi Thor 2's.

Wet: Cloudburst pants & Blizzard Mitten Outer Shell.
Cold: Switch to Heavy weight sock & Heavy Weight Base Layers & Mountain Pants (timberline are good as well) Add Kelvin WS Hoody & Blizzard Mittens.
Really Cold: Add Kelvin Lite Puffy Pants & Cloudburst Pants & Blizzard Neck Gaiter & Blizzard Beanie & Overboots or Heavily insulated boots.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Get the jet stream in a size larger than you normally wear. I started with the same size as all of my other pieces and quickly felt that it got snug after I had a base layer and insulation layer on.

I've personally owned and used all of these pieces - minus the active hoody, but I do however have the active jacket. I think you are on a good track here based upon what you have listed. It's just a matter of finding your midlayer and insulation preferences I think. I would make the decision of one vs. another based upon if you tend to run warmer vs. colder as an individual and what the conditions dictate.

If it were me:

I think the foundation pieces regardless of time of year can always be: LW Hoody, then HW Hoody or Apex.
Then I would pick the insulation layer I pack based upon activity level and the conditions expected. An example for me would be the kelvin lite hoody (stagnant/colder temps), kelvin active hoody or jacket (moving more/mild temps).

Then when rifle season comes around I would just incorporate the jetstream as my outer and thrown on the timberlines.

The traverse zip t is a nice piece, but I think it loses out on efficiency imo when it comes to living with the clothes on your back in comparison to the other mid layers you listed, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it/hold onto it if you like it.

Also, I would say that you could regard the active puffy pieces and the heavier fleece layers as relatively interchangeable for a lot of scenarios, but the technical advantages and versatility still goes to the actives imo. I prefer those to fleece, but plenty of folks feel the opposite way and I understand that as well. I would get your hands on some of these pieces and see what you find comfortable and what pieces layer well together.

And rain gear of course when needed

Foreman05

FNG
I’m transitioning my Sitka set from the whitetail line to the subalpine line. Full disclosure I’ve never been September elk hunting “yet” that will change this tear. I’ve done quite a bit of research and my setup will look like this;
lw hoody
apex hoody
kelvin lite
rain/hardshell

lw bottoms
apex pant
rain pant

If the real cold weather rolls in I’ll walk back to the truck and grab my peloton 240 and hw bottoms.
Like I said I‘ve never been there but those are my thoughts. I do think the kelvin lite, kelvin active and a puffy would be super redundant. The kelvin lite I just bought this week it’s freakin awesome and pretty warm for its weight.

Just seen you said late season also the only things I would change is swap the kelvin lite for the kelvin down WS and hw bottoms with the timberlines.

Sled

WKR
Thinking my layering system will look like this: September (Archery) through November/Dec (Rifle)

Core LW Hoody
Kelvin Active Hoody
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Apex Hoody
Puffy (Non Sitka)
Jetstream Jacket

Apex Pants
Core LW Bottoms
Timberline Pants

Any advice on pieces that are redundant or missing?

Also picked up a Traverse Zip T at a good price and wondering if I should take it back or what piece it replaces?

Is a Traverse Zip-T close to a Apex Hoody?
i didn't notice where or how you are hunting but if you plan on glassing in late fall/winter at elevation you might consider a pair of puffy pants.

Usi05

WKR
I run the LW core hoody, heavyweight zip t, Celsius midi and a jetstream vest for all of my hunting in Michigan and surround states for whitetails. This set up gets me down to teens pretty comfortably.

I sold my jetstream vest and can get a real good price on a jacket with some coupons I have.

I’m thinking I’m going to buy the jacket now as my outer layer. Feel pretty good about this holding up out west but I usually just hunt elk in sept. No worries there but may need to add to it once I expand into later seasons.

Loved the jetstream vest but definitely size up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
Unless dead set on the jet stream I would opt for a decent but lightweight rain shell instead. Other than that it looks good to me. I have similar setups I use for w mt with good comfort.