Sitka layering question

Gunning5

WKR
Hey fellas,

So I am putting together a layering system in Sub alpine for spring turkey into fall bear and elk.

I currently have apex pants and apex hoody for turkey and want add a mid layer and then insulator and softshell on top of that for later season.

I have Timberline pants for cold weather, and am thinking of getting the kelvin active for top layer for spring turkey and then wear that as a mid plus a Kelvin lite vest for insulation and then top off with Jet stream. What do you guys think?

I also will be hunting more mountains in late season for deer and will be mostly sitting for that, that's usually in the snow and wanted to get an open country jacket for that. Was thinking of getting the Kelvin Down WS hoody for that as it looks like it can take anything sitting with the wind membrane. Thoughts on that as well.

Thanks!

The Apex is great for a starter set. Timberlines are always good to have in your kit. Personally you will never go wrong with a Jetstream jacket.

I am going to try the Kelvin active hoody.

Euro optic had a great sale going on the Kelvin lite hoody the other day.

If you are planning on sitting for extended periods looking for that Kelvin regular weight series to be able to layer up quickly so you don’t get chilled. Hiking with it can get warm pretty quick.

I am one that likes to keep my core and neck warm and don’t over layer on your legs.

Shop here and others forums and most stuff will sell for 30-40–% off MSRP.

Be patient and you can build your collection. Trust but verify from buyers, there are some legit scammers out there.

My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
Good deal man, thanks for the reply! So you’d say the kelvin down WS hoody would be a good addition for late season? Or maybe the kelvin lite down jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yojo.3

FNG
I have timberline pants which i use with an underarmour coldgear base layer and if its really cold i have an extra base layer that i got at runnings for cheap that ive used for years and has worked (why spend up to 130 bucks on camo base layer when ive got pants on over top?) Probably costed 20 bucks for a top and bottom base layer. For top layer system i use the top from runnings and depending on how cold i also have the heavy weight hoody and the midweight zip tee with the jetstream jacket as a shell.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
I have timberline pants which i use with an underarmour coldgear base layer and if its really cold i have an extra base layer that i got at runnings for cheap that ive used for years and has worked (why spend up to 130 bucks on camo base layer when ive got pants on over top?) Probably costed 20 bucks for a top and bottom base layer. For top layer system i use the top from runnings and depending on how cold i also have the heavy weight hoody and the midweight zip tee with the jetstream jacket as a shell.

Good deal, love hearing everyone’s systems. You think I’ll be fine with kelvin lite hoody and jet stream over top?

NB7

WKR
Was thinking of getting the Kelvin Down WS hoody for that as it looks like it can take anything sitting with the wind membrane. Thoughts on that as well.
I own one and it's by far one of the warmest pieces I've ever had. Do yourself a favor and don't wear it hiking or moving around much, you will sweat in short order even in subfreezing temps. But it is fantastic if you're going to be sitting still.

yojo.3

FNG
Good deal, love hearing everyone’s systems. You think I’ll be fine with kelvin lite hoody and jet stream over top?

I do also own a kelvin lite hoody. But with the way i layer i havent had a need for the kelvin lite. But that is what i bought it for. To put underneath the jetstream. I wouldnt wear it on the outside just because that fabric is so thin.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
I own one and it's by far one of the warmest pieces I've ever had. Do yourself a favor and don't wear it hiking or moving around much, you will sweat in short order even in subfreezing temps. But it is fantastic if you're going to be sitting still.

Love the insight brother. You think I’d be better off with the kelvin lite down jacket for sits that also have some hiking in it?

NB7

WKR
I don't own that one and have never tried one. I just know the full Kelvin Down Hoody with WS is an oven if I am even slightly moving (I'm talking only wearing a lightweight synthetic shirt under it), and it's awesome while sitting still at temps at least down in the teens. I'll say the same about Sitka's Boreal. I can NOT wear that thing while setting up decoys or any activity or I'll sweat in no time. Of course, this is a lot dependent on what base layers you may be wearing and your own nature.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas! Looking to buy the active jacket next in LT then the jetstream in LT.....do you guys think that would fit under it ok? Also have the kelvin lite hoody to wear underneath for when jrs colder, think that will fit under jetstream ok? The XL feels baggy in midsection

yojo.3

FNG
Thanks for the replies fellas! Looking to buy the active jacket next in LT then the jetstream in LT.....do you guys think that would fit under it ok? Also have the kelvin lite hoody to wear underneath for when jrs colder, think that will fit under jetstream ok? The XL feels baggy in midsection

My lite hoody does fit under the jetstream just fine

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this fits in your line up anywhere, but the fanatic jacket is super warm as well. And the built in hand muff on front is awesome. My brother has one and wears minimal layers underneath, even in below zero iowa winters.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
Not sure if this fits in your line up anywhere, but the fanatic jacket is super warm as well. And the built in hand muff on front is awesome. My brother has one and wears minimal layers underneath, even in below zero iowa winters.

Yo man, thanks for the info! I actually got the fanatic vest to go over top my status for whitetail tree stand hunting and totally love it, awesome features and warmth!