Sitka Layering Setup

Jaeger62

FNG
Just discovered I can get a pretty substantial discount on Sitka gear that knocks their pricing down to about the same as the Cabela's gear and Redhead they sell in store, so obviously I am leaning heavily towards picking up some Sitka gear for my October muzzleloader hunt in NM.

My question is what do those of you who run Sitka recommend? I can't tell on their website which of their pants is a good midweight, etc. My thought is to wear a good set of thermals in the morning if needed, then shed them for just the pants the rest of the day. Probably the same for upper body.... may go with a good midweight shirt and a vest or jacket in the morning.

Recs on which of their pants would be the best weight for late morning/afternoon at 9,000ft? Having lived in Colorado for awhile, I'm fully aware of just how bi-polar mountain weather can be in the matter of hours.

Last edited:

H80Hunter

WKR
I'm not sure what the weather would be exactly then and there, but I'd likely start with the core lightweight bottoms and Timberline pants. On top, depending on your preferences (ie, I don't want more than one hood): Core lightweight crew, Apex Hoody, Kelvin Active Jacket. Could also do Core lightweight hoody and Heavyweight 1/4 zip or Traverse zip-T.

OP
J

Jaeger62

FNG
For thermal bottoms, I'm really intriqued by the First Lite zip offs. The ability to unzip and remove the bottom layer without having to jump out of my boots and pants and back in to them sure sounds worth an extra $20

H80Hunter

WKR
Yeah all the first lite base layers are great, I was just focusing on Sitka from the original post. The fuse long johns and wick hoody is a great set of base layers you can wear in almost any situation.

Hondo

WKR
Out of the Sitka Gear Big Game offerings the Mountain pants are what I consider a true mid-season pant and the Timberline a mid to late season pant. The Ascent pants are the lightest early season pant but with good base layers can stretch into mid-season unless it is windy. The Traverse are more of an early to mid season pant but not as good as the Ascent as an early season pant and not as good as the Mountain pant as a mid-season pant. I've spend more time in the Ascent and Mountain pants although when it is nasty out I'm glad I have the Timberline's. I've not owned the Apex pants but from what I understand they are more of an early to mid-season pant.

If you are taking one pair of pants I would go with the Timberline pants and if you are taking two I would add the Mountain pants.

I'm a big fan of the FL Merino base layers but the Sitka Gear offerings are really good and the Polygiene works. I don't wear the HW bottoms as I have that covered in merino but the LW bottoms and tops are great. The Mid Weight 1/4 zip tops are light and comfortable and the Fanatic Hoody, HW 1/4 zip & HW Hoody make for warmer mid-layers.

The Traverse Zip-T can double as a mid-layer or outer layer when it is mild. I recently added a Traverse Cold Weather Hoody and have only worn it on a few hikes but it shows great promise as a mid/outer layer although I doubt anything but my rain shell will fit over it as it is pretty thick.

OP
J

Jaeger62

FNG
Out of the Sitka Gear Big Game offerings the Mountain pants are what I consider a true mid-season pant and the Timberline a mid to late season pant. The Ascent pants are the lightest early season pant but with good base layers can stretch into mid-season unless it is windy. The Traverse are more of an early to mid season pant but not as good as the Ascent as an early season pant and not as good as the Mountain pant as a mid-season pant. I've spend more time in the Ascent and Mountain pants although when it is nasty out I'm glad I have the Timberline's. I've not owned the Apex pants but from what I understand they are more of an early to mid-season pant.

If you are taking one pair of pants I would go with the Timberline pants and if you are taking two I would add the Mountain pants.

I'm a big fan of the FL Merino base layers but the Sitka Gear offerings are really good and the Polygiene works. I don't wear the HW bottoms as I have that covered in merino but the LW bottoms and tops are great. The Mid Weight 1/4 zip tops are light and comfortable and the Fanatic Hoody, HW 1/4 zip & HW Hoody make for warmer mid-layers.

The Traverse Zip-T can double as a mid-layer or outer layer when it is mild. I recently added a Traverse Cold Weather Hoody and have only worn it on a few hikes but it shows great promise as a mid/outer layer although I doubt anything but my rain shell will fit over it as it is pretty thick.
Yeah, I've been going back and forth between the Mountain and Timberline pants. If the Timberline isn't too hot to wear in October, then it's probably the one to buy to cover mid and late season. I don't archery hunt (yet) so I need something for Sept/Oct muzzleloader to possibly late rifle.

Would you consider the Timberline too hot for October..... or as early as late Sept for Colorado muzzy season?

Hondo

WKR
Would you consider the Timberline too hot for October..... or as early as late Sept for Colorado muzzy season?

I find the Timberline a bit warm for the typical mountain late September through early October. I run hot and weather ain't always typical though. The Timberline blocks wind well especially where the knee and seat overlays are which also means that they don't breathe enough to let the steam out when it warms up. If you want versatility the Mountain Pant does that better IMO.

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
I just geared up for NM first muzzleloader hunt. I went merino light and heavy base layers with mountain pants. I have alot of whitetail sitka pieces as well so i am also taking stratus set and celsius midi jacket with merino underneath.

OP
J

Jaeger62

FNG
I just geared up for NM first muzzleloader hunt. I went merino light and heavy base layers with mountain pants. I have alot of whitetail sitka pieces as well so i am also taking stratus set and celsius midi jacket with merino underneath.
Pretty close to what I think I am going to do. But I think I am going with the Timberline pants. Looked at them at Scheel's and they didn't seem all that much warmer, and I like the added durability of the cordura knees and bottom.

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty close to what I think I am going to do. But I think I am going with the Timberline pants. Looked at them at Scheel's and they didn't seem all that much warmer, and I like the added durability of the cordura knees and bottom.
Yeah my only knock on the mountain pants are the knees are shin guards on me. Im 5'10 and bought a 36 waist and the whole knee pad is below my knee so i took them out

Traverse pant I wore all last season Oct/Nov in Idaho. Love them. Lite but not too light. Not too heavy either. I have the mountain pain but I never wore them.

I've always worn lighter pants like the Traverse. My legs just don't get cold. Hiking in mid or heavy weight pants, sweating, then cooling down, never has appealed to me. As long as my trunk, hands, and feet are not cold I'm perfect. I never wear thermals.

My favorite trunk combo is a merino wool base ss + Sitka Core LW hoody (normal October/November temps). If it's really cold I will start with merino wool ss + Core Midweight Zip-T or Core Heavyweight Zip-T
If I get cold I will add Cirrus puffy (FL).
If I'm still cold I add my Sitka Kelvin Light Hoody.
If I'm still cold and it's windy I would add my Jetstream jacket maybe remove the Cirrus.

That combo will cover me 95% of time.

If it's really warm merino wool base ss + Sitka Core LW hoody.

Last edited: