Sitka layers to run late October and November deer hunt.

Hey guys just invested in some pieces of Sitka gear for my late season rifle deer hunts mostly hunt late October and mid November. My plan is to run the core mid weight next to skin then following that is the core heavy weight hoodie and when I stop hiking I will put on the Kelvin jacket paired with the jetstream as the shell is this a good combo to run? Curois to know if you guys think this will work and what you guys personally run, also open to suggestions as well.

amp713

WKR
Hey man I dont know if this is for a Utah hunt or not and even Utah can be a big change from saint George to Logan so you might want to give more info on the type of hunt. On top of that a lot is personal preference if you run hot you'll need less, if you are always cold bring more, and most importantly if you arent packing it all on your back it doesnt hurt one bit to bring extra.

I hunted in November with lightweight merino base layers, prana pants, cheap military surplus pant liners as a puffy pant knock off, core heavyweight hoody and the Kelvin active as well as my rain/wind jacket. Below freezing temps for most of it, wind blowong, all the gear in my backpack and hiked up into the snowy mountains at 9k feet. I was golden with what I had minus the cold feet....

OP
GetWestern
Sorry should have specified it's high mountian Utah hunt and the November hunt is higher elevation Colorado.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where you are hunting, but we hunted 2nd and 3rd rifle in SW Colorado from 6k feet to 12k. Everyone is different in terms of sweat etc., but I definitely recommend a lighter base layer. My son has the midweight and I have the heavyweight, and in both cases, usually found ourselves stripped down to core lw's on the hike up the mountain...and still sometimes sweating depending...weather was all over the place....so I would definitely recommend either a lite merino base layer or a core lightweight, then layer your other stuff on top as needed.

BTW, depending on where you are going, might think about some basic light rain gear. Last year we got stuck in 4 hours straight rain at night while packing an Elk...DWR's only last so long, sometimes you need rain gear. We use relatively cheap but packable stuff, your needs may vary depending on where you are.

Agreed with those that recommend running a lightweight Sitka layer next-to-skin. I really like the midweight Sitka and think it layers really well, but if you run hot at all you’ll be better off with a lightweight base under it IMO.