Sitka Mountain Approach Pack Review

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Before I start my first review, I'd just like everyone to know that this is my first official review of anything. Bear with me as I learn the ropes and try to get through this review using only my phone for pictures. My future reviews will be better quality. These reviews will not be "technical". I'm not going into intricate details, I'm just going to give you honest, practical reviews that should be good enough to get a better idea on a product.

Sitka Mountain Approach Pack: I will try to upload more pictures when I have access to computer, just using phone for now.

View attachment 76162View attachment 76162

This pack was created by Sitka for retrieving water from a creek to bring back to camp, or for taking short trips away from camp when you need to carry more than what's on your body. It is small enough to roll up into an accessory pocket on your pack or even a large sized cargo pocket.

View attachment 76163View attachment 76163

The pack is made of a HIGHLY water resistant material. I have used it in light rain and the contents inside we're dry. And I ran it under water in the sink for about 2 minutes and again it stayed completely dry inside. I wouldn't use it as a dry bag, but it will definitely keep your contents dry for a while in wet weather. The bag is 700 cubic inches and weighs 5.2 oz. The straps are about 3 inches wide at the top an gradually get slimmer towards the bottom. The shoulder straps are adjustable. The chest strap is adjustable and can also be moved up or down for better comfort. The top closes by rolling it up and then buckling it, just like a drybag. I will go over how much the pack can fit later.

I recently used this pack on a trip in Montana. My girlfriend and I did an overnight trip. We camped 3.5 miles in, and then woke up the next morning to hike to the next lake. At camp, I used the pack to carry 4 water bottles back from the creek. It worked good for this, but it probably wasn't necessary. The next morning, we left our big packs at camp and decided to only take the bare essentials so we could make good time. I decided to throw on the Mountain Approach pack for our 5 mile hike to and from the next lake. I carried two Ziploc bags full of snacks, two rain jackets, a filtered water bottle, a sitka ascent shirt, and a zoom lense for a Canon Rebel. The weight of this kit was pushing the pack to it's limits, but it worked. The biggest problem was that it began digging into my underarms after a while because it was so heavy. This was solved by simply carrying it on one shoulder for a while to lighten the load. It also makes my back extremely sweaty because of the non breathable material on the pack, but that shouldn't be as bad when the weather cools down.

My primary use for this bag is as a minimalist day pack just like I did in Montana. I've been using it on walks in the woods all fishing season and I've also used it to carry 2 or 3 trail cameras in. Where I hunt in PA, I only have to walk about a mile to my favorite hunting spot. So I don't need to take much with me. I also like to move around a bit (especially when rattling during the rut) so I need to be able to move fast and quietly. Im usually sitting out on exposed hillsides and field edges. I have been using this pack on my walks through the woods and while fishing to carry small accessories. In archery season, as well as day hikes, here is what I'll carry:

Columbia Watertight II Printed (camo) Rain Jacket ($44!)
Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody (when it's not on me)
1-2 person first aid kit with other essentials (toilet paper)
Headlamp
16 oz bottle of water
Sawyer Mini filter
Small Ziploc bag full of snacks
Uncrustable pb&j
Small buck knife
Vortex Solo monocular (backup to binos and great for stalks)
Kuiu Superdown Ultra hooded jacket (only if it's gonna be cold)

This might sound like a lot, but it's mostly small stuff and I'm guessing it weighs around 10 to 12 pounds, which should be fine for this bag. There isn't much room left in the bag after that. You could fit some small things in there but no more large items like jackets. After using it for about 4 or 5 months, I can say that I would highly recommend this bag for someone who just wants a little bag with them on backpacking trips/hunts that they can simply pull out of their pack to go collect water and carry it back to camp. Or it will work equally well for someone who wants to use it as a minimalist day pack like I do. Overall it's a great pack, but to be completely honest, it is basically a high quality, and expensive, gym bag.

PROS: Versatility, Very comfortable with very light loads, extremely water resistant, simple, packable

CONS: Small, not good with heavy loads, not breathable (makes your back sweat), no zipper closure

Attachments

• KIMG0006.jpg
    KIMG0006.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 61
  • KIMG0007.jpg
    KIMG0007.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 61
  • KIMG0008.jpg
    KIMG0008.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: fey