Sitka mountain hauler

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys think of the mountain hauler series? Is the 4000 big enough dor a 3 day hunt? For someone who goes on 3-5 backpack hunts a year, should I get a sitka pack or keep saving for Kifaru? I already have a big frame pack by Alps, a day pack and an overnight Alps pack. I need a 3 day pack that's lighter than my Alps freighter. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
If you are doing 3 to 5 backpack hunts or year i think saving up for an alpha pack makes a lot of sense. That said, a 4000 ci pack should be plenty for 3 days and if you have your alps frame back at the truck for hauling meat after that first load i think that setup would work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
If you are doing 3 to 5 backpack hunts or year i think saving up for an alpha pack makes a lot of sense. That said, a 4000 ci pack should be plenty for 3 days and if you have your alps frame back at the truck for hauling meat after that first load i think that setup would work just fine.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Run the 4000, then switch to the freighter for a meat load. Now, with that said, and knowing that eventually I'll want one ultimate pack. Would you say that the sitka packs don't quite fit that category? If the mountain hauler isn't the ultimate pack, then maybe I'll just run a teton sports hiker 3700 for a season until I can afford a kifaru pack. The teton is almost 2 lbs lighter than the mtn hauler. Sure it's less durable but that's fine if it's just a stepping stone.

bsnedeker

WKR
In my opinion, no for the simple reason it's an internal frame pack. In my mind an external frame pack is always going to be better for hauling heavy loads. They are also much more versatile in that you can swap bags, or drop the bag entirely and just strap stuff right to the frame.

If it was me, for the price of that sitka pack i would hold off, use what you have until you can buy a kifaru, sg, exo, or seek outside. I love my kifaru but there are lots of options these days.