Sitka mountain jacket over puffy???

Erictski

FNG
Anybody wearing the Sitka mountain jacket over a puffy just for the Camo and windproof properties?

I have built a good layer system for November WI whitetail hunting with some baselayer, heated vest and a down puffy but need a wind blocking outer layer and prefer it to be thin and light.
Wondering if anyone is using the mountain jacket over a puffy??

TBHasler

WKR
I’ve used my timberline jacket over layers/puffy to block wind
If your mtn jacket fits I don’t see why it wouldn’t work well

OP
E

Erictski

FNG
I’ve used my timberline jacket over layers/puffy to block wind
If your mtn jacket fits I don’t see why it wouldn’t work well
Thanks. I don’t have the mountain jacket yet. I am still deciding on a top jacket. I wore my Pnuma 3L rain jacket this year and it did well, but looking for another option possibly that doesn’t have a hood and has a chest pocket.

Superdoo

WKR
The mountain jacket may fit a little too tight and compress the down. I looked at doing the same thing. When I tried on the mtn jacket it seemed to fit too tight on me to be able to layer a puffy under it.
It would be worth trying though.

OP
E

Erictski

FNG
The mountain jacket may fit a little too tight and compress the down. I looked at doing the same thing. When I tried on the mtn jacket it seemed to fit too tight on me to be able to layer a puffy under it.
Thanks. That is my fear, that the arms would be too tight

TBHasler

WKR

I’m assuming you’d be sizing up to accommodate a puffy.
The timberline has more room on the forearm area and while it compresses the puffy a bit, it’s not bad. Timberline does have a hood though. Good luck

300wmxcr2

FNG
I use the Sitka Timberline jacket over a Cabela's puffy and a sweater and it works great. The Cabela's puffy is a bit lighter than some of the others. This give me all I need down to minus 5 or 6 here in Canada. With the hood up and a toque I can layer down as it warms up.

Always try on your layering system before buying, everything fits people differently. The large Timberline is about a half size big without the puffy which is perfect for me. If it fits you exactly right it will be too small to wear layers under.

I have a mountain jacket. It’s a slim fit. I prefer the jetstream for layering over a puffy.

Elkangle

WKR
Might look at the weight of the over jacket and the puffy and then compare it to the sitka WS puffy

I use a Jetstream for the same thing. I went a size up so it didnt fit screaming tight. Does an awesome job blocking the wind and can handle a little weather too. And one size up doesn't make it too big to wear in warmer temps over light base layers.

Superdoo

WKR
Might look at the weight of the over jacket and the puffy and then compare it to the sitka WS puffy
I ended up going with the WS puffy. Mainly because the climate in ND afford’s me plenty of weather to use it in. I can see how other folks would rather go with a cheap puffy and a jet stream to get a little more versatility though.

I would have went that route but I am too lanky to get a good fit with that approach.

Elkangle

WKR
The ws is pretty heavy for a puffy but it's nice having that windstopper...I used to constantly run a rain jacket over my light weight puffy but the time waisted putting on two layers, pack organization, and total weight pending on the climate.. makes the ws a pretty nice option