Sitka Mountain Optics Harness

wseidel

WKR
Though well-designed, it appears with the thickness of the side wing material that use of a Kenai Chest Holster will be eliminated. I like the modular approach of this system but it appears to nix one of my most necessary requirements...the ability to carry a handgun on my chest in my preferred holster. I have used an AGC bino harness the last number of years and it has worked very well with my Kenai. Please note that I am only making these assessments from viewing the photos. If I'm incorrect, please let me know. Thanks

2ski

WKR
You guys brought up the ability to mount up a gun on the wings. Could you post a picture? I'm having trouble picturing how that would be comfortable.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Though well-designed, it appears with the thickness of the side wing material that use of a Kenai Chest Holster will be eliminated. I like the modular approach of this system but it appears to nix one of my most necessary requirements...the ability to carry a handgun on my chest in my preferred holster. I have used an AGC bino harness the last number of years and it has worked very well with my Kenai. Please note that I am only making these assessments from viewing the photos. If I'm incorrect, please let me know. Thanks

As I wrote in the article, the material on the backside (against chest) has been changed in the final production model. It is now a more breathable material. I have not seen it, maybe Josh has? It was one of my concerns as well.

wseidel

WKR
Let me clarify, by "thickness" I actually meant the width (top to bottom) of the side wing material. With my AGC harness, my Kenai chest holster mounts underneath it and towards the bottom so my handgun is easily accessible. This may or may not be possible with the Sitka harness. Hope this helps...

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I wrote in the article, the material on the backside (against chest) has been changed in the final production model. It is now a more breathable material. I have not seen it, maybe Josh has? It was one of my concerns as well.

The back on the production version is covered in stretch air mesh and is way more breathable. There are perforations under the mesh too, which allows for a little air flow through wings.
d22ee71088a961b3d757d62213edf247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my harness a few days ago. Here are some initial thoughts. FYI, my previous bino harness was a FHF original.

-it’s quieter than the FHF but not as quiet as I thought it would be.
-very comfortable overall
-I’m on the fence if I’m going to use the secondary strap that goes around the center of your back. It’s something to see if I will get used to
-using the side pocket with a rangefinder. I’m happy with this as I use a Sig Kilo 2400 ABS and it was always tight in my FHF and other harnesses that I tried in the store. This fits well but the pocket may be 1/2” too deep to easily pull it out one handed.
-bino pocket fits my new Swarovski SLC 10x42’s like a glove!
-small pockets are nice as they all fit a wind check and my hand held archery release
-the back pocket/slot that does not have the zipper holds my iPhone 11 perfectly
-the back zippered pocket is only the depth of my index finger (maybe 3”) and I would only hold things in there that are flat like tags.
-no part of the harness interferes with my bow string at full draw in any angled shooting position.
-I like the side pouch as it will be just enough for those little extras I like to have if leaving my pack somewhere.
-the material on the back that contacts your chest is a grid mesh material that looks to breath well. I know on the videos I’ve seen the preproduction models had some fleece looking material
-my only real gripe is that I thought the top bino flap would stay open better when pressed against the vertical straps like shown in some videos. It “kind of” does but not 100% of the time and falls down easily. The flap folds in half and stays closed easily with good retention though.

D9C3C857-E6EF-4086-A001-96702E398963.jpegAE801D2C-C683-4F5E-8B78-ED506AB941D2.jpegB024A700-55A3-46E1-8C53-B3E9286786D5.jpegA290C948-BC3F-4D0F-B647-ECFB30CCAB46.jpeg7CB5CE3C-F79B-4251-B44D-59267102271E.jpeg046699E5-9B9B-45C0-937E-2AA750D9B71B.jpeg9DE4FB64-0B5A-4D19-9AD3-B9DC256586E7.jpeg499CCC12-385E-4ED5-B4DB-6D35BFBCE781.jpeg26101CA2-DE4B-494B-AC4F-7659AD335EE5.jpeg
-no part of the harness interferes with my bow string at full draw in any angled shooting position.
-I like the side pockets as it will be just enough for those little extras I like to have if leaving my pack somewhere.
-my only real gripe is that I thought the top bino flap would stay open better when pressed against the fl vertical straps like shown in some videos. It “kind of” does but not 100% of the time and falls down easily. The flap folds in half and stays closed easily with good retention though.

Jakeini

FNG
Did the ol’ covid situation force Sitka to hold off on these? I’m only seeing limited information on other retailer websites, and nothing on Sitka’s.
Think there is a shipping problem, or maybe waiting to try to do a second product release?

The flap not staying open very effectively makes me a little nervous, but I’d love to get my hands on one to try out. My old trusty badlands harness is getting a little worn out.

Squirrels

WKR
Did the ol’ covid situation force Sitka to hold off on these? I’m only seeing limited information on other retailer websites, and nothing on Sitka’s.
Think there is a shipping problem, or maybe waiting to try to do a second product release?

The flap not staying open very effectively makes me a little nervous, but I’d love to get my hands on one to try out. My old trusty badlands harness is getting a little worn out.
I can't find it on their site anymore. It was on there a few days ago.