Sitka or Kuiu for tall guys

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I think since this is in the clothing section, he is referring to clothing not back packs.

I have a bunch of new Kuiu clothes waiting for me to try when I get home tomorrow. Reading reviews, people say most of their clothes run a size small so I ordered XXL in place of XL on the Guide DCS jacket and Guide pants. The Ultra merino line reviews say they are true to size, so for those I ordered XL. I'll let you know what I think about the fit and quality when I try them on.

However, I do also have a new gen Kuiu Pro pack waiting for me with the clothing if interested in that as well.

Last edited:
Welcome. I am 6’3” built somewhere between dad bod and CrossFit guy.

Both will work fine. Kuiu inseams are like 34 inches. Sitka regular length pants work fine for me. My tops run from xl to xxl in most clothing. Like ledd slinger I had to size up some kuiu stuff to get the right fit and room to layer. My dcs guide jacket is xxxl. Overall, I have found kuiu sizing to be a bit wonky and inconsistent. Sitka is adding more tall sizes in their tops and I find their overall sizing to be fairly consistent across their line.

I have a bias for Sitka but both are fine. At this point the only thing I still buy from kuiu is bottoms. Their zip off merino base layers and hip vents on their pants are the bees knees.

Kuiu CS was a bit underwhelming the time I needed it for a pair of pants that didn’t perform as advertised (no dwr, froze my ass off). Ultimately Jason (RIP) stepped n and overruled his people and got me a refund. Sitka CS has been stellar on the one time I used it. They went above and beyond to replace a set of gaiters and they are super responsive when I have asked a question.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. I am 6’3” built somewhere between dad bod and CrossFit guy.

Both will work fine. Kuiu inseams are like 34 inches. Sitka regular length pants work fine for me. My tops run from xl to xxl in most clothing. Like ledd slinger I had to size up some kuiu stuff to get the right fit and room to layer. My dcs guide jacket is xxxl. Overall, I have found kuiu sizing to be a bit wonky and inconsistent. Sitka is adding more tall sizes in their tops and I find their overall sizing to be fairly consistent across their line.

I have a bias for Sitka but both are fine. At this point the only thing I still buy from kuiu is bottoms. Their zip off merino base layers and hip vents on their pants are the bees knees.

Kuiu CS was a bit underwhelming the time I needed it for a pair of pants that didn’t perform as advertised (no dwr, froze my ass off). Ultimately Jason (RIP) stepped n and overruled his people and got me a refund. Sitka CS has been stellar on the one time I used it. They went above and beyond to replace a set of gaiters and they are super responsive when I have asked a question.

Yeah one of the Kuiu items I ordered was the zip off thermal pants. Love the idea that I can take them on and off on the hill without removing my boots. Great to hear positive feedback on them.

I read the background on Kuiu and Jason Hairston was the one who started Sitka. He brought it up and made it a successful business then sold it. Eventually he went back into the hunting clothes business by starting Kuiu.
Unfortunately he committed suicide in September of 2018 due to bad CTE developed while playing as an NFL linebacker for the 49ers. Suicide is a very common occurrence amongst older NFL players who have CTE from repeated head trauma. The pain in their head eventually becomes so constant and unbearable that they cant live with it anymore. There is no known cure for CTE. Very sad what CTE is doing to all of the old school football players. He was survived by his wife and 2 children. I know his wife was heavily involved in the Kuiu business so I would imagine she runs the show now.

Last edited:

Airma

FNG
I think since this is in the clothing section, he is referring to clothing not back packs.

I have a bunch of new Kuiu clothes waiting for me to try when I get home tomorrow. Reading reviews, people say most of their clothes run a size small so I ordered XXL in place of XL on the Guide DCS jacket and Guide pants. The Ultra merino line reviews say they are true to size, so for those I ordered XL. I'll let you know what I think about the fit and quality when I try them on.

However, I do also have a new gen Kuiu Pro pack waiting for me with the clothing if interested in that as well.
+1

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I am 6'2" and have lots of both. The only disappointment (unlike the post above) are the 210 zip off merino bottoms. They are so short I thought they were kid size. In order to get them to reach my waist, I had to pull them up so that the bottom cuff was mid way up my calf. I bought them back in 2016, so maybe they are different now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have only used Sitka and I need tall in all of them. I am 6’3”. Really wish they made longer inseams and more of the items available in tall. The pants are acceptable but not perfect. All sleeves have been long enough in tall and the only piece that is a tad short is the jet stream. Not in the sleeves but in the torso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the KUIU guides. Being 6'4" pants are hard to find that have the length I like. KUIUs are designed to remove the hem and lengthen them to a 35.5" inseam. I have a seamstress that will do it for $10.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
So the Kuiu clothes are good to go in my opinion. Arm lengths on everything plenty long and base layer shirts have nice long torso build for tucking into pants.

Tried on the Guide DCS XXL jacket and it fit great with enough room for a sweatshirt underneath.

Guide pants are very nice quality. Inseam is plenty long for me. The 36" waist is maybe a hair smaller than other brand pants but still fits me good with an added base layer. The fabric is awesome. When squatting it seem to only stretch and move in the knee area. I dont feel any pull on the rear waist. Plenty of crotch room for excellent movement and no tightness when squatting.

Jimss

WKR
I have quite a few Sitka pants I've worn for years. They have stood up to years of abuse very well. I'm only 6' tall and the tall length was ok. The one thing I have really disliked about Sitka pants is the crotch area tends to sag and be too low for my long leg stature! I really like the higher crotch in the 2 Kuiu pants I recently bought. I bought a pair of Kuiu Teburons for early season and Guide for later season. They both fit great at the crotch and have plenty of length to go over my boots to keep the cheatgrass and other stuff out of my boots. With that said, I'm switching over to Kuiu.

OP
B

Bnewman78

FNG
Thanks for all the info!! Definitely like the tall option with Sitka. And I think Sitkas open country seems to blend really well for the country I hunt. But kuiu definitely has some great features with their gear for sure!

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
6’ 5” 270 here. Kuiu is by far the best fitting gear for us big boned fellas.

The shirts seems to run a bit small for me but the pants are great.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am a big Sitka guy and I deal with a lot of taller guys trying to get them set up for there season. I would say if you are 6,5 or under you will be fine going with Sitka gear.

i am 6'3" and flat out cannot wear kuiu. If i try on my typical shirt size the sleeves are 2 inches short and the pants are high waters. that being said it has been a few years since i tried them on so their sizing may have changed.

ADK_Man

FNG
6’5” and 295#. I wear a 52L suit jacket, have 18.5” neck and 37” sleeves. I typically wear a 42x34 pants (jeans) and ideally a 2XLT top in brands like Cabelas and LL Bean. I’ve ordered a ton of KUIU recently. The Guide pants in 42x34 are the best fitting pants I have ever had, long enough in the waist and rise, stretchy...just wonderful. The Attack pants did not fit, were a full 2-3 inches tighter in the waist. For KUIU tops, I need 3XL in everything. The Guide jacket was a bit tight across my shoulders and cut under my arms a bit. The Kutana was a better fit for me. I also tried both the Chugach and Yukon rain jacket in 3XL and both fit well, the Chugach is a little stretchier but also a bit noisier. The Peloton 240 full zip hoodie is a great fit. I also tried on a bunch of Sitka. I found I needed to upsize to 44 in most of the Sitka pants, or 3XL in the rain pants and then the waist is too big. Some of the jackets like the Fanatic is fairly tight in 3XL even, though the Downpour and some of the other mid weight jackets fit me well in 3XL. Overall I think KUIU is a little longer geared but Sitka has a some
larger pieces if you’re just outside the KUIU size ranges. Hope this helps!

Brizzley

FNG
I'm 6'3, 195lbs (fairly thin) and I have an older Sitka 90% jacket and it's way too short. I'm looking for a new coat that will run longer. Right now, anything I layer underneath it will stick out. Great coat, just too short.

I bought my dad a Kuiu Guide for his birthday in L and it's also much too short for me.