Sitka pics

Oregon

WKR
Well, I finally figured out how to post pics.
Here are my 2 best Sitka from Kodiak.
Couldn’t make a true 4x4 out of them, but I’m very happy. Good pics to show just how big their bodies are.
1796194A-C60D-47F3-B1BB-5F2237788B9D.jpeg86F07494-B81A-4CD3-993A-E843FBB0B459.jpeg

How much meat do you figure you packed out between the 2 of those? That’ll likely be my first Ak hunt, I’ve got a buddy that’s living up there now so hopefully he’ll have it all figured out by the time I get up there.

OP
Oregon

Oregon

WKR
How much meat do you figure you packed out between the 2 of those? That’ll likely be my first Ak hunt, I’ve got a buddy that’s living up there now so hopefully he’ll have it all figured out by the time I get up there.

A “normal” buck tends to have 60#s of meat give or take.
I’d assume those had 75?? They both were about as stout as I’ve seen.
Here’s a couple more bucks over the years.
2F738AE8-E7F8-4329-893A-6770C14E7CC4.jpegE8D7E865-1A5F-45F5-BB52-137082081CF6.jpeg

I’ve never put the meat from a buck I’ve butchered on a scale to see what I’m able to pull off of Ca bucks but I always imagine it being so much more weight I guess, I was guessing closer to 100lbs(not that I think pack weight plus a small bucks meat would be an easy stroll out of the back country)

OP
Oregon

Oregon

WKR
I’ve never put the meat from a buck I’ve butchered on a scale to see what I’m able to pull off of Ca bucks but I always imagine it being so much more weight I guess, I was guessing closer to 100lbs(not that I think pack weight plus a small bucks meat would be an easy stroll out of the back country)

I think all deer weigh 5x’s more especially half way through packing it out.

Numerous times on Kodiak, I’ve completely boned out a deer on the mountain. Pack it to the cabin and start placing in waxed boxes each box holding exactly 50#s for checked luggage fees. Usually have 10-15# per deer needing to go in second box.

I killed a spike bull elk this year and dropped off bone in front shoulders and hind quarters and all 4 pieces only weighed 176#.

I’ve personally never weighed a boned out mule/whitetail/Columbia btail but I don’t think I would get 100# of solid meat?? Could be wrong, I’ve killed some heavy whiteails and mulies.

No I wouldn’t guess 100lbs from a Ca buck. I ment I figured yours were closer to 100lbs of meat. I have 48 lbs in my head from a butcher shop but I could be wrong and odds are that was an average sized young deer...

Browner56

FNG
Nice looking bucks. They always seem to weigh so much more if you have to pack them out. Thats why I like taking my son along.

Nice looking bucks. They always seem to weigh so much more if you have to pack them out. Thats why I like taking my son along.
And the planning for the next generation of hunters begins. I’ve been dog boy/pack mule enough seasons I’m counting down until my 2 year old is big enough that he’s “helping dad”