Sitka Questions - Kelvin Active vs. Kelvin Lite Hoody

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Texas guy here who has been able to get out to Colorado the past few years hunting. Planning on keeping that up for years to come even if the state changes. I'm trying to wrap my head around the Sitka line. Specifically the Kelvin Active Jacket and the Kelvin Lite Hoody. I'm not someone who lives out west and hunts 3 or 4 times out there so I can't justify spending money on a full blown set of Sitka clothes.

Where does the Kelvin Active and Kelvin Lite Hoody fit into y'all's system? I have a Core Lightweight Hoody and am thinking about adding a Core Heavyweight Hoody. With those pieces in mind what would you recommend for bow and muzzleloader seasons in Colorado? I will say we spent considerable time above 12,000 ft if that factors into your answer.

The Kelvin Active just seems so light that I'm wondering what its benefit would be if I decided to add the Core Heavyweight Hoody.

Also, I've heard some rumors that Sitka is update the Kelvin Lite Hoody to include Windstopper. Anyone know if that is true or not?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You are very close to picking out the the same core pieces I use in CO for the early season.
Do you like a hood? I do and that's why I have never used the Kelvin Active. I am sure it would make a great insulating layer but the Kelvin Lite hoody fits the CO early season pretty perfectly.

My layers on that hunt go as follows, Core LW hoody with Core HW hoody then Mountain Vest over and Kelvin Lite hoody as puffy when I am not moving. The vest and HW hoody come off often while moving.

I have been using/testing a future version of an insulted hoody for Sitka and it does not have Windstopper, so no. There will be a review in late spring of that product.
If you want a Windstopper puffy it's the Kelvin Down WS Hoody and it's crazy warm, much to warm for CO early.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
You are very close to picking out the the same core pieces I use in CO for the early season.
Do you like a hood? I do and that's why I have never used the Kelvin Active. I am sure it would make a great insulating layer but the Kelvin Lite hoody fits the CO early season pretty perfectly.

My layers on that hunt go as follows, Core LW hoody with Core HW hoody then Mountain Vest over and Kelvin Lite hoody as puffy when I am not moving. The vest and HW hoody come off often while moving.

I have been using/testing a future version of an insulted hoody for Sitka and it does not have Windstopper, so no. There will be a review in late spring of that product.
If you want a Windstopper puffy it's the Kelvin Down WS Hoody and it's crazy warm, much to warm for CO early.
Tony,

Thanks for the input. The vest sounds like a good idea. Can you talk about why the Mountain Vest for you? I think I like the idea of having the Windstopper under the Kelvin Lite Hoody which would throw the Kelvin Lite Vest out but I'm struggling to see the big difference between the Mountain Vest and the Jetstream Vest. Mountain Vest appears to be lighter weight and hey, every ounce counts right.

I have my rain gear I throw on top of everything should I need that as a last resort.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The Mountain vest is ultra light but still provides windstoper. the jetstream vest is significantly warmer and heavier.

Kotaman

WKR
These two jackets are “apples and oranges”. The “Active” is an active piece made to be worn hiking in cooler temps. The Kelvin Lite is a synthetic puffy designed to be worn while stationary or for hiking in extreme conditions.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
These two jackets are “apples and oranges”. The “Active” is an active piece made to be worn hiking in cooler temps. The Kelvin Lite is a synthetic puffy designed to be worn while stationary or for hiking in extreme conditions.
Kotaman,

Thanks a lot. That helps. I guess I never viewed either as one to be worn during hiking. But what you said makes total sense. It sounds like the Core LW Hoody with a Core HW Hoody might be an alternative to the Kelvin Active (at least in my situation for early season) and then whenever glassing I can just utilize the Kelvin Lite Hoody.

I do like the idea of the Mountain Vest for a less bulky way of cutting the wind off of my core.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kelvin Active definitely was designed as an active insulation piece- over a base layer or as a mid-layer under a wind or rain layer depending.

The Kelvin Active and Core Heavyweight both occupy roughly the same niche- a mid-layer for on the move, I see no real need for both

I have a Kelvin Active hoody (and a Core HW hoody)- I haven't had the opportunity as of yet, but my hope is that the Active hoody breathes better than HW hoody and offers as much insulative value (at a lower weight)- we shall see :) The Heavyweight hoody does perform well, that I have tested.

TBHasler

WKR
It’s a personal decision, everyone’s different.I think there’s moving gear (where you’re hiking) and there’s stationary gear (sitting/spotting). When moving, I don’t worry bout windstopper, I’m moving and I’m warm enough. If I’m stopped and not moving for a while, I’m looking for warmth and windstopper.
I think “buy this way” - gear for sitting always gets the windstopper and the balance of warmth that aligns with your weight: warmth ratio

For September elk, I like the the Sitka layers for moving as you’ve said and the kelvin lite for stationary

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
The Kelvin Active definitely was designed as an active insulation piece- over a base layer or as a mid-layer under a wind or rain layer depending.

The Kelvin Active and Core Heavyweight both occupy roughly the same niche- a mid-layer for on the move, I see no real need for both

I have a Kelvin Active hoody (and a Core HW hoody)- I haven't had the opportunity as of yet, but my hope is that the Active hoody breathes better than HW hoody and offers as much insulative value (at a lower weight)- we shall see :) The Heavyweight hoody does perform well, that I have tested.
See now you have blown my brain as swapping out the Core HW Hoody for a Kelvin Active hoody hadn't even crossed my mind. And I didn't figure the weight difference would be as much as it is. Dang.

It looks like it might be a little harder to layer under a Kelvin Lite Hoody though. Just from a bulk perspective.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a personal decision, everyone’s different.I think there’s moving gear (where you’re hiking) and there’s stationary gear (sitting/spotting). When moving, I don’t worry bout windstopper, I’m moving and I’m warm enough. If I’m stopped and not moving for a while, I’m looking for warmth and windstopper.
I think “buy this way” - gear for sitting always gets the windstopper and the balance of warmth that aligns with your weight: warmth ratio

For September elk, I like the the Sitka layers for moving as you’ve said and the kelvin lite for stationary
Yeah I can get on board with that. That Kelvin Active Hoody threw me for a loop though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
See now you have blown my brain as swapping out the Core HW Hoody for a Kelvin Active hoody hadn't even crossed my mind. And I didn't figure the weight difference would be as much as it is. Dang.

It looks like it might be a little harder to layer under a Kelvin Lite Hoody though. Just from a bulk perspective.

there is only one layer you would layer under it- your base layer, ditto on the HW hoody

neither are cut overly large as they weren't designed to layer over more than a base layer, the Kelvin Lite hoody on the other hand is cut a little fuller in anticipation of layering it over a couple of layers

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
there is only one layer you would layer under it- your base layer, ditto on the HW hoody

neither are cut overly large as they weren't designed to layer over more than a base layer, the Kelvin Lite hoody on the other hand is cut a little fuller in anticipation of layering it over a couple of layers
Right. I meant more along the lines of it seems it would be a little difficult to put the Kelvin Lite Hoody on over the Kelvin Active Hoody. But that may just be my uninformed opinion based purely on separate photos of the two pieces.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Active hoody would be ever so slightly thicker than the HW hoody, but not much- the insulation on the Active piece is pretty light- purely an on the move piece

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Can't thank all of y'all enough for the insight. Without a place nearby selling Sitka it's rare that I get to see some of their stuff in person so y'all have all been a tremendous help.

I have and have used both. I prefer the kelvin hoodie. The active sits right in between a puffy and a heavy fleece IMO - light, stretchy, non wind resistant - and find myself using a grid fleece in that role. In fact, I didn’t wear my active at all this year and will probably end up selling it when I get around to my annual gear cleanup.

compared to the kelvin hoody, the kelvin active is/has:

+ lighter
+ more breathable
+ more stretch
+ quieter

- no hood
- less warmth
- less wind resistance.

if I had one grip about the kelvin light weight hoodie it is the year I bought they went skinny jeans on the forearms. I am not Popeye, but I lift and the forearms feel snug and in a good way. Some will say they prefer that for archery and layering but it is a pet peeve for me.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I have and have used both. I prefer the kelvin hoodie. The active sits right in between a puffy and a heavy fleece IMO - light, stretchy, non wind resistant - and find myself using a grid fleece in that role. In fact, I didn’t wear my active at all this year and will probably end up selling it when I get around to my annual gear cleanup.

compared to the kelvin hoody, the kelvin active is/has:

+ lighter
+ more breathable
+ more stretch
+ quieter

- no hood
- less warmth
- less wind resistance.

if I had one grip about the kelvin light weight hoodie it is the year I bought they went skinny jeans on the forearms. I am not Popeye, but I lift and the forearms feel snug and in a good way. Some will say they prefer that for archery and layering but it is a pet peeve for me.
So I am in the same boat on that one. I actually had bought a L and an XL in the Kelvin Lite Hoody thinking I'd just figure out the one that fits and return the other........and I still have both. I'm not a tall guy and not a string bean. I find the large to probably be just a bit too snug in the shoulders as it feels somewhat restrictive. The XL actually is a little too roomy for my preference in the mid-section but still feels like the arms are tight. I have read the arguments for it being better for bowhunting, which I can appreciate, I just find myself wishing for a skosh more room while wearing it.

It's like I keep waiting for the L to feel better across my shoulders while having the forearms inflated as well. :rolleyes:

I assumed the Kelvin Active was similar but after all the info received on this thread I think I'm off the idea of a Kelvin Active and will just deal with the XL Kelvin Lite Hoody on top of a Core LW Hoody and Core HW Hoody.

And probably get the L Kelvin Active Hoody listed up for sale.

If I want lite, I wear their Kelvin Lite vest. If I need a hoody, I want the regular Kelvin jacket.

406unltd

WKR
I use the active hoody and the kelvin lite. That active hoody which is very similar to the jacket is better used in September as an outer/insulator or active piece when the weather is nicer. It dries incredibly fast and breathes very well as designed but also actually does have a fair amount of protection from rain. The kelvin lite is what I use for late sept to mid oct as an insulated piece and even a active piece once it’s rife season here in MT. It dries decent but due to increased insulation it does take longer. With that said it will also offer you some protection from the elements. Neither are rain jackets but they do buy you time to square your shit away. In the end no one can tell you which to get as you may run hotter or colder than I do. If you get cold then go Kevin lite

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
If the KAJ is similar to the Kutana Hybrid 3defx I would say they are completely different pieces. But almost identical in what they do. I recently have worn both the lite hoody and kutana hybrid both in -9C (-15C w/ wind) with single Kiln base layer on top. Went for a walk day 1 and played in yard with kids. Did same thing day 2 with changing jackets...and I couldn't tell a difference and was super impressed. Never got hot nor got cold