Sitka Rant - disappointed

3forks

WKR
North Face, Arc’teryx, Black Diamond, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, RAB, OR, Marmot, etc. etc. Many great options.

Way more reviews out there than hunting brands, more heavily vetted.

To a large extent, the brands you mention all use the same fabrics and DWR coatings (specifically if they’re Gore),

Also, fabrics like Gore dictate the design and application of most of their fabrics to the manufacturer they sell the fabric to.

Chances are in the case of the OP’s jacket, whatever happened to it most likely would have happened regardless of whether Sitka produced the jacket or any of the other manufacturers you mentioned. Whether another manufacturer would have addressed the OP’s issue the same is up for debate.

I’ve not been here long, but just a little observation as of late.....the more you post, the more people find what you have to say irrelevant. When I first came here, I paid close attention to what you had to say because I falsely assumed you were some “old timer” that had been there and done that. You present yourself quite often in that light. I hope your upcoming retirement gives your some time for reflection.

Is there a reason you had to specifically call me out and attack? That mad at a differing viewpoint?
I’ll be sure to ignore your post when you’re asking me for help on Idaho plans like many of your fellow easterners (who are far less prone to personal attacks).

Is there a reason you had to specifically call me out and attack? That mad at a differing viewpoint?
I’ll be sure to ignore your post when you’re asking me for help on Idaho plans like many of your fellow easterners (who are far less prone to personal attacks).
I didn’t attack you, but I appreciate your implication in an attempt to get others to view it that way. It has nothing to do with differing view points. It’s the way you present yourself in almost every post you comment on. As if most are beneath you and lacking the intellect you claim to possess.

I’m not even going to get started on your “Idaho help”, but suffice it safe to say that if I put boots down on Idaho soil, it’ll be without direction from you.

Again, I’m not attacking you. Merely suggesting that you do some reflecting. You clearly want others to view you as a person of experience and knowledge. That’s a stance that has to be maintained 24/7. You don’t get to pick and choose the times you want to act mature and receive respect.

rob86jeep

WKR
I'm just wondering at what point (price and weight) do we expect light weight rain gear to be durable? It's probably different for everybody. Some people will pay $400+ for an incredibly durable rain coat while some will pay $400+ for an incredibly light rain coat. The biggest problem I see with this post is somebody buying what is considered a light weight rain coat and complaining that it wasn't as durable as they wanted. If you want durable, they make that. If you want light weight, they make that. If you want a combination, they make that. Buy what fits your wallet/use and expect it to last what is normal.

Now, to caveat this, if the rain coat didn't last as long as what was expected (from the manufacturer), then send it back for a refund/exchange instead of posting on the internet. If the OP would have emailed them from the start and said "I'm sending this back due to a defect", it probably would have ended better.

Bottom line, if you expect/want a refund/exchange, then ask for it. Don't ask an open ended/opinionated question and be upset with the response.

Elk97

WKR
Late to the party, but that doesn't look like abrasion to me. Looks more like a defective/bad piece of fabric. I'd be pissed if I spent that much for a rain jacket and took a couple of walks without my pack and discovered that. Sitka is telling the OP he's lying. Should have been replaced no questions asked IMHO. For comparison, I broke a buckle on my MR pack, it was my fault and I told MR that. Fixed for free, extra replacement buckles in case I do it again, all done while I was there, a big smile and I was out the door. Customer for life.