Sitka Rant - disappointed

So what the h*** would the user error be? Sandpaper in your pocket?

I’ve never had a jacket wear within the first few years unless it was defective because I’ve never done anything with it that would obviously ruin it.

brsnow

WKR
Many people are drunk on camo brand. In reality we should expect hunting clothing companies that charge a premium to produce clothes at least close to similar quality of those we brandish as anti-hunting. Yet at the end of the day they charge more and under produce

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll go a different direction. You spend 400 dollars on a jacket, who cares if it rubbed on something. Sitka should stand behind their product. Most companies that have this elitist attitude find themselves out of business at some point. Sitka gives away more crap to people to promote their gear than almost anybody. At some point this stuff catches up with companies.

Many people are drunk on camo brand. In reality we should expect hunting clothing companies that charge a premium to produce clothes at least close to similar quality of those we brandish as anti-hunting. Yet at the end of the day they charge more and under produce

I couldn’t agree more. Non hunting mountaineering gear I’ve owned has always been fantastic quality from the well respected brands. Not so with the hunting companies. The non hunting companies are clearly cheaper than the hunting companies also.

Jauwater

WKR
It's not delusional. It's bad customer service. If I went, and bought a jacket for $5 or $500 at REI that jacket would be replaced no questions asked.

Just to throw this out there, when I was younger I had a job fixing appliances. Quite often I'd have to fix dryers that would sometime get clothing stuck between the drum wheel, and frame and would get marks like that from the dryer wheel turning while the clothing was stuck. Sometimes it rip holes in the fabric. That's what that mark reminded me of when I seen it. If you've washed & dried the jacket you might want to keep your eye on that.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

rj2

WKR
yea just tape up your 500 dollar jacket. sounds like a great way to lose a customer for life. i would find a company who stands behind their gear and doesn't charge 500 for something that is gonna have to be held together with freaking tape after 1 back country hunt.

carter33

WKR
Beyond Clothing. Anyone annoyed with the “camo” companies. These guys get it right. Expensive? Yes. But I believe they are at the pinnacle of outdoor clothing and will stand behind the product. Haven’t used the rain gear specifically though as a note.
Not affiliated just think they deserve a look. Also they support the military.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills hearing people say the jacket shouldn’t be taken care of by the company. It wore out in a couple weeks. Wtf

Nothing on that jacket is “worn out”. There is some cosmetic wear in a non-critical area of the hem. The waterproofness or function of the jacket haven’t been compromised in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Stick a piece of stealth strip over the wear spot, much better than tape for a clothing repair. Not happy with Sitka? Do not purchase any more Sitka. Unhappy with the jacket? Mail it back with a note, much better than playing with a csr rep via e-mails.

KurtR

WKR
Really want to be pissed listen to tundra talk and how not waterproof the 400 dollar coat is.... along with all the other breathable water resistant coats

Perrin713

FNG
Sitka has been great for me. Been wearing the original Hudson jacket for 8yrs now? Beat the living snot out of it. From army crawling in brush to jump shoot snows to going into the thicket to jump on a brush pile for rabbits. Zipper failed on the chest. Called Sitka, said return it and they’d fix it free of charge. Torn a small hole in my Pantanal bibs. Called Sitka, said they’d mail me a patch. Was i pissed at Sitka for not giving me a new set of bibs? No.... Holes happen. Sitka customer service has been great for me. Main reason I stick with them.

I have quite a few piece of sitka gear. It has always been very durable for me. Sitka has always been a great company in my experience.

As a guide who uses my gear hard everyday during hunting season, I’ve grown fond of Sitka. I’ve had great luck with customer service. This is the primary reason I use this brand. You should try calling them and talking to them. It’s always harder to get things figured out over email in my experience. I’ve been emailing Leupold about a warranty fix. After a few emails and getting really nowhere, I just called and had it sorted out within 5 minutes and the part is on its way.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I've used sitka for years and never seen anything premature like this. Which leads me too believe it wasnt just a going too church jacket. Chasing lions in Wyoming you put any gear to the test and just this year I finally had a sitka failure as a branch punctured all the way through. Not blaming sitka at all. Now trying to research companies that can do a gore patch. Yea the price is healthy, but when I've been in the backcountry in extreme conditions, I always tell myself I'm sure glad I invested in sitka. Yea there is other great companies, but y change when it's never failed? So I'll keep investing, cant die with your money anyways.

Hammer79

FNG
Hard to believe that would wear that fast from just wearing it around. Either way, I would not be happy with the response Sitka gave you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MtGomer

WKR
Really want to be pissed listen to tundra talk and how not waterproof the 400 dollar coat is.... along with all the other breathable water resistant coats
The coat discussed in that podcast, combined with the pants is over $1k. That tundra talk episode makes me nervous. I have that rain set. I didn’t pay for it, but if you die from hypothermia, free doesn’t get you very far.

The outdoor companies that are not hunting related have economies of scale that make returns less impactful and a decades long track record of good customer service. Another reason not to go with the hunting companies.

I like most of all the mountaineering companies because they are dealing with life and death on the big mountains and they’re quality control is typically very high.

LitenFast

WKR
The coat discussed in that podcast, combined with the pants is over $1k. That tundra talk episode makes me nervous. I have that rain set. I didn’t pay for it, but if you die from hypothermia, free doesn’t get you very far.

Am I the only one that felt that whole scenario was more of a tent failure than a rain gear failure?

If he had a sturdier tent he wouldn’t have been wandering around in a torrential downpour. I’ve felt he should have been more critical of his choice of such a lightweight tent. Not a hard knock on Tyler at all I love his podcast just an observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk