Sitka Rant - disappointed

brsnow

WKR
Could you please enlighten us that are mere plebs on what these quality backcountry/mountaineering clothes for the mountains are? I want to be well prepared........cant cheat the mountain pilgrim.

Ac’cetera , mountain hardware, Patagonia,
Are a few that I have put to good use and will stand behind their products.

If it came into contact with something very abrasive with a lot of pressure on it, then yes - user issue. But, that's not clear. And if it wasn't something very abrasive, without significant pressure, then that's a pretty poor product. In my opinion at least. Quite frankly, only the original poster knows.

Exactly; we don't know what happened. And why not? Because the OP has treated the answer like it was a state secret, both with us and more importantly with Sitka customer service. When someone obfuscates the facts, my Spidey sense tells me they are hiding the truth for a reason.

OP
Arloboy7

Arloboy7

FNG
1. Thanks for all the responses to this. Always good to generate healthy discussion.

2. I feel as though I should have titled this “Sitka Discussion - Disappointed”. I don’t want this to be a Sitka bashing thread. Some of the best hunters in the world trust this product every season so they are obviously doing something right. That being said I will wear whatever product performs the best .. Sitka, kuiu, FL, Arcteryx etc... solids, camo, .. doesn’t matter to me.

3. Prices you see are in CAD dollars. It was a 30% off boxing Day sale. Great store, good service. Jacket was mint when I received it.

4. I stand by my original response to them in the email. The wear is on the lowest point of the jacket so even if I did have a pack on, which I didn’t, this would run well below the waist line where a pack would sit.
Hasn’t been in a washing machine or dryer.
I don’t carry a knife with sheath, gun, holster etc..
I wear an arcade belt.

The only thing I can think of is the wear occurred from the elastic adjustable hem cord that runs through. Maybe as I’ve been getting in and out of the trunk this has been a rubbing point as I sit down ?

5. If that wasn’t the cause it obviously didn’t just happen out of thin air so something caused it and I should have been more carful. Whatever it was, Ive truly babied the jacket since owning it and don’t know what it would have been.

6. I’m also not looking for free gear or to be condescending towards a company.
I’ve attached my response to them.
I’ve assumed this is the best they are gonna do for me so I’ll at least take a patch.
Bummed about the situation but I’ll patch it up and move on with life.

2c0b58a4a7968b34eaa51c00723a5e84.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
Would want to know what it was rubbing on. But at the same time, short of running marathons everyday while wearing something abrasive, a $400+ jacket should not have that after a month.

Edit: Posted at same time...

Haha the Sitka fanboys who were assuming he has sandpaper in his pockets should be feeling awesome right about now.

So the $400 jacket should wear out in a week and not two weeks. That’s too much wear.

The 8000 Sitka prostaff are sent one full set of clothes per week so the clothes aren’t overused and fall apart.

It’s some kind of miracle that my North Face stuff goes into brutal country and always lasts 10 years.

I might have missed a few responses but I noticed people were saying that Sitka did nothing. They offered to send a patch free of charge to strengthen that section of coat.

Also I would say there is a difference between the durability of the inside layer vs the outside layer. I have had many rain jackets where the outside of it looks brand new but the inside is cracked, peeling, and missing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not making a point that Sitka is in the wrong. I'm simply saying it's bad customer service compared to what's offered by other companies. I wouldn't expect a company to replace something I damaged. I'm just saying that there are companies out there that will. So in the world of customer service, the companies that offer the type of customer service that replaces items regardless what happen are great customer service companies. I'm simply saying Sitka offered bad customer service in this instance compared to what I've experienced by other companies. And as stated before maybe Sitka has decent customer service. And if their warranty / exchange / return policy is clearly stated then an exchange shouldn't be expected. But with that said, that warranty isn't as good as what some other companies offer. Maybe they did exactly what their warranty states, and that's fair. But that still doesn't make it good customer service compared to others.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Sitka made a promise and stood by their promise. Sitka didn't quit, the OP quit. Case closed.

Not too long ago people laughed at George Costanza's schemes (like this) because it was so ridiculous for anyone to think that his tactics were acceptable/moral... Now seems to be adopted practice for some.

Two things to notice about the OP's explanation:
>he showed the Sitka CS person's name
>he quit helping with the CS person's attempts to accurately evaluate the matter

Consider for a second that being in the CS person's shoes is a tough position, then review carefully to understand how well she does to demonstrate care and attention... Keep in mind that it's impossible for the CS person to have any clue about what happened to the jacket without any help or clue from the OP. Sitka gets an A+ from me!

Sitka made a promise and stood by their promise. Sitka didn't quit, the OP quit. Case closed.

Not too long ago people laughed at George Costanza's schemes (like this) because it was so ridiculous for anyone to think that his tactics were acceptable/moral... Now seems to be adopted practice for some.

>he quit helping with the CS person's attempts to accurately evaluate the matter

Consider for a second that being in the CS person's shoes is a tough position, then review carefully to understand how well she does to demonstrate care and attention... Keep in mind that it's impossible for the CS person to have any clue about what happened to the jacket without any help or clue from the OP. Sitka gets an A+ from me!

If you twist Sitka’s arm for a number of emails, they may give you more than a patch after the clothes wear out in two weeks without any explanation. That’s comforting to hear about their customer service! No companies out there are better.

Jauwater

WKR

I have'nt attacked Sitka, nor the OP in any of my posts. As stated in the post you quoted, if the customer service rep did what their warranty states then that's fair. I have no problem with that. All I've said is that there are other companies that would exchange a $500 or $5 product no questions asked. Also, just because some companies offer that type of warranty, I'm not saying that everyone else should. But it shouldn't be a problem to say that the companies that are offering those types of warranties have better customer service then the ones that aren't. That's just plain facts. The rep did their job, that's fair. But that's doesn't make their warranty as good as another company that offers a 100% guarantee. Its not an entitlement issue, moral issue, or nothing like that. It's just that some companies offer better warranties then others, which makes for a better customer service experience. Again, I'm not saying that Sitka didn't do their job. I'm saying that customer service experience was bad compared to what other certain companies would have offered.

KurtR

WKR
When a company asks an unreasonable price for a product, they should expect that their customers might have unreasonable expectations of said product.

if it was unreasonable why do people buy it? Might be unreasonable to you and cheap for Bill gates

I have'nt attacked Sitka, nor the OP in any of my posts. As stated in the post you quoted, if the customer service rep did what their warranty states then that's fair. I have no problem with that. All I've said is that there are other companies that would exchange a $500 or $5 product no questions asked. Also, just because some companies offer that type of warranty, I'm not saying that everyone else should. But it shouldn't be a problem to say that the companies that are offering those types of warranties have better customer service then the ones that aren't. That's just plain facts. The rep did their job, that's fair. But that's doesn't make their warranty as good as another company that offers a 100% guarantee. Its not an entitlement issue, moral issue, or nothing like that. It's just that some companies offer better warranties then others, which makes for a better customer service experience. Again, I'm not saying that Sitka didn't do their job. I'm saying that customer service experience was bad compared to what other certain companies would have offered.

You and I are good. Thanks for the explanation.

I work for a brand that has a no questions asked, 100% satisfaction guarantee on every product - we offer the choice of a replacement or money back, and we don't even sell direct. It's a big business and our flagship product currently carries at least 89% (market share) of our category.

So yes, I am aware of what you've been describing. However, that does not mean that a NQA policy makes for a better company (or worse) or has better customer service (or worse). If that were true, every business would do it. It's simply not realistic for some to be sustainable. What matters is the brand that makes good on its promises, which Sitka has clearly demonstrated.

Lying and/or being unrealistic about wear, tear, and obsolescence is always a moral issue. It's wrong. Businesses that make stuff are made up of real people with families... plus supply chain businesses and people... those realities are too often more than what we see. Being a rascal has consequences.

Jauwater

WKR
You and I are good. Thanks for the explanation.

I work for a brand that has a no questions asked, 100% satisfaction guarantee on every product - we offer the choice of a replacement or money back, and we don't even sell direct. It's a big business and our flagship product currently carries at least 89% (market share) of our category.

So yes, I am aware of what you've been describing. However, that does not mean that a NQA policy makes for a better company (or worse) or has better customer service (or worse). If that were true, every business would do it. It's simply not realistic for some to be sustainable. What matters is the brand that makes good on its promises, which Sitka has clearly demonstrated.

Lying and/or being unrealistic about wear, tear, and obsolescence is always a moral issue. It's wrong. Businesses that make stuff are made up of real people with families... plus supply chain businesses and people... those realities are too often more than what we see. Being a rascal has consequences.
Yeah brother, we are good. Just debating ideas is all. I appreciate your opinion

netman

WKR
Keep the Sitka for church and buy quality backcountry/mountaineering clothes for the mountains. Problem solved.
I’m open for other options. What clothing do you suggest? I don’t have to have booger bark Camo. Earth tone colors are fine for me.
Get me started! Thanks

I’m open for other options. What clothing do you suggest? I don’t have to have booger bark Camo. Earth tone colors are fine for me.
Get me started! Thanks

North Face, Arc’teryx, Black Diamond, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, RAB, OR, Marmot, etc. etc. Many great options.

Way more reviews out there than hunting brands, more heavily vetted.

Ratbeetle

WKR
if it was unreasonable why do people buy it? Might be unreasonable to you and cheap for Bill gates

Oh save it, I'm as free market as they come. That doesn't mean sitka isnt over priced gucci gear. Social media has convinced people that they need it to be hunters.

I own some sitka stuff...it's ok but doesn't do anything better than the plethora of non-hunting technical clothing I own. I'll most likely buy more but only when I can get it deeply discounted.

Haha the Sitka fanboys who were assuming he has sandpaper in his pockets should be feeling awesome right about now.

So the $400 jacket should wear out in a week and not two weeks. That’s too much wear.

The 8000 Sitka prostaff are sent one full set of clothes per week so the clothes aren’t overused and fall apart.

It’s some kind of miracle that my North Face stuff goes into brutal country and always lasts 10 years.

I’ve not been here long, but just a little observation as of late.....the more you post, the more people find what you have to say irrelevant. When I first came here, I paid close attention to what you had to say because I falsely assumed you were some “old timer” that had been there and done that. You present yourself quite often in that light. I hope your upcoming retirement gives your some time for reflection.

KurtR

WKR
Oh save it, I'm as free market as they come. That doesn't mean sitka isnt over priced gucci gear. Social media has convinced people that they need it to be hunters.

I own some sitka stuff...it's ok but doesn't do anything better than the plethora of non-hunting technical clothing I own. I'll most likely buy more but only when I can get it deeply discounted.

while the free market has spoken seems Sitka is doing quite well selling their unreasonably priced average clothing.