Sitka september archery recommendation ??

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I tried posting over on archerytalk, but i thinking there's more western hunters on rokslide

I been working on a September archery season system for out west Elk mule deer and antelope Spot and stalk . 95% of the time I will be day hunting under 10,000 feet.and may spike camp for a night or 2 in the future. over the last few months I have posted a few treads and have got some great advise from members . I tried several items and have settled on the list below. I have purchased these and like the fit. But i still need a good outer shell and possibly a puffy . Sitka suggest i look at the jet-stream or mountain jacket paired with the kelvin lite hoodie . can i get away with out rain gear? if not i was thinking the thunderhead would serve as both rain gear and wind shell. You guys that have some experience what would you recommend ??

Base layers
Minus 33 midweight top
Minus 33 midweight bottom
Sitka core lite weight bottom
sitka core lite weight hoodie

Mid layers
sitka Apex hoodie
sitka Apex pant

Insulation layer
sitka celsius midi ( i already had this and was looking at the kelvin active jacket,But these are so close and it seems to layer under the Apex well so i can cover up the EVll pattern )

Might consider the Kelvin lite hoodie

Outer layer

This it where i need help

Jetstream jacket? love it has pit zips but is this quiet enough for archery

mountain jacket? This was redesigned for 2019 and supposed to be quiet

Thunderhead jacket? pretty quiet for rain gear

Flash? can be found 50% off not so quiet but has taped seams and a hood

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I was you I would get the Jetstream jacket. It is my go to outer layer for almost all my hunts and the DWR finish will get you throw about a 5 hour rain storm before it starts wetting out. Out of everything Sitka makes the Jetstream is my favorite peace that they make.

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
how quiet is the jet stream? it seems to have mixed reviews on noise. I see it was changed over the years so maybe the old one was loud and the newer one is not?

Kotaman

WKR
I find myself using my Timberline more than my Jetstream. It’s quieter, more packable and more versatile IMO.

bigharge

WKR
Honestly I dont think theres any need for a softshell or additional outer jacket for your system. But ive never been a fan of softshells, just dont see their fit in my system. If it were me id sell the celsius and buy a good lightweight puffy, but not neccessary if you like the Celsius. Add some rain gear and that system will get you through just about anything you will run into.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kelvin lite hoody and it is incredibly warm for its light weight. A bit of caution, the forearm area is quite trim. I have a buddy that can’t get one on but fits my yarn arms great.

The jet stream is unbelievably versatile and like mentioned, pretty damn water proof.

I wear a light weight LS under my jet stream and am set from 40-75*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not a soft shell fan. I’m a big fan of the heavy weight hoody and the kelvin lite hoody.

I wear lightweight hoody all the time as a base layer and normal shirt when it’s warm.

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. i ended up going jet stream. haven't hunted with it yet .I like what i see so far. If i could change one thing I would add 2" longer to it.

If I was you I would get the Jetstream jacket. It is my go to outer layer for almost all my hunts and the DWR finish will get you throw about a 5 hour rain storm before it starts wetting out. Out of everything Sitka makes the Jetstream is my favorite peace that they make.
Hey Scott, would the thunderhead jacket be a good option as well? It brushed fleece + goretex makes it very tempting. I'm leaning this way more than the jetstream.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Thunderhead would be a great option, but it does not breath very well.. It will breath better than any other rain gear on the market by far. If you are looking for quiet rain gear the thunderhead. If you are wanting something that can be the most versatile piece than I would go with the Jetstream. It is the top selling jacket that Sitka makes and it has been that way for almost 6 years. It speaks for it self