Sitka stratus advice

Base14

FNG
I would appreciate you guys who own the stratus system to let me know your thoughts. I hunt in northwest Texas and western Oklahoma. Temps can be from the 90’s to the teens. But one thing is always constant... the wind. I currently use first lite Woodbury jacket and solitude bibs when it gets cold. I really like them but feel I loose a lot of warmth due to no windstopper. Thinking about Switching to Sitka stratus. Is it worth giving up insolation for the wind protection? With layering can the stratus get me into the low 30’s?

bob1sh

FNG
So I have no experience with the clothing you currently use but a friend of mine let me borrow his Stratus bibs to try. I needed something between early season and my Fanatic set. I sat in 45-49 with 8-14 mph winds, light merino base layers, Apex hoody, and Kelvin lite hoody, and I was perfect. I probably didn’t need the merino bottoms to be honest. Currently selling some stuff to pick up a pair of Stratus bibs. 45-50 is a little too warm for my Fanatic bibs, I run hot. Light merino and Wrangler outdoor pants is fine down to the low 50s.. at about 50 with no wind I’m cold. In just boxers you could probably wear the Stratus bibs to high 50s and with heavy merino bottoms could probably take you into the low 30s. They definitely seem like they live up to the “versatility” hype you read about everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Yes it will get you there but it’s not nearly as comfortable as the fanatic. The stratus is great from 40-60 to buck wind. Much colder than that, and it’s not very pleasant, even with good layering.

I thought the stratus did fine in the upper 20s and low 30s until I bought the fanatic. No comparison in comfort. For all day sits in sub 40 weather, the fanatic is really tough to beat.

Keep the stuff you got now and get the fanatic set. No comparison in comfort levels. I can sit in negative Temps for hours and be absolutely fine (other than my hands but they have an awesome front pocket to keep hand warmers in). I use my stratus jacket in October as needed then combine with a fanatic vest for late October/early November then switch over to the fanatic set once the rut hits through end of season here in upstate NY. If you dont wanna go all in on the fanatic, just get the vest this year. Game changer!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

bob1sh

FNG
Keep the stuff you got now and get the fanatic set. No comparison in comfort levels. I can sit in negative Temps for hours and be absolutely fine (other than my hands but they have an awesome front pocket to keep hand warmers in). I use my stratus jacket in October as needed then combine with a fanatic vest for late October/early November then switch over to the fanatic set once the rut hits through end of season here in upstate NY. If you dont wanna go all in on the fanatic, just get the vest this year. Game changer!

When you use your Stratus jacket in October, what pants are you wearing?

I actually was wearing the early season whitetail pants or the old 90% pants. Just got the stratus pants and they seem perfect for this time of the year. I personally like pants more than bibs so I might pair that with the fanatic jacket for late season but i know it won't be nearly as warm as the bibs. Im telling ya, their is no way you will get cold in the fanatic set. Its almost to warm walking in unless its in the teens or less

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Stratus all season and layer underneath with Priimaloft pants and jacket when its cold.

rene291

FNG
I'm 62 and wear the Stratus bib and jacket with merino heavyweight and can go to the low 20s before i look to switch. My brother has the fanatic lite but i still prefer the stratus.

Foreman05

FNG
I have the stratus coat and bibs. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the fanatic coat this winter but instead picked up the Celsius midi. Im glad I went this route, I think the stratus is a much more versatile piece. I can wear it on windy days in the 50's all the way down to the mid 20's this year with the midi.

when is cold I would wear the
core LW hoody, fanatic hoody, midi jacket, stratus jacket (I was wearing the traverse CW hoody under the stratus as my insulation, but it couldn't keep me warm)
core LW bottoms, equinox pants, stratus bibs and stratus beanie.

I will say the fanatic hoody's hood/facemask will increase warmth without the bulk of the stratus hood if that makes sense.

ohoopee

WKR
I have an ultra light windbreaker top an bottom I throw on under my FL gear down
to 35. I didnt wear my stratus this year at all. I picked up a fanatic vest for sub 30 mornings
though and I love it.

You will be amazed what just UL wind blocker will do to keep you warm.
A member on here told me about some women's cheap dancing pants on amazon that have worked great
as a wind stop pants for the past years. They work great for blocking wind. UL and not bulky.