Sitka stratus bibs and equinox midi vs fanatic bibs

Anyone out there running the stratus bibs with equinox midi/gradient?

I'm trying to decide what to get, I like the versatility of the stratus but I also get cold easy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Not opposed to other options as well but really prefer to have wind stopper in my whitetail kit.

ckk416

FNG
I also get cold rather easy - the older I get the less cold tolerant I've become. I run the stratus bibs and jacket until it gets really cold by layering accordingly. I've been comfortable down to ~28 degrees (per truck thermo) using heavy weight core base layer, a North Face Thermoball under the jacket and an older Fanatic vest over the jacket (I love the kangaroo pocket). I will also run the Nomad Hardfrost pants under the bibs. If it is below 30 I switch to the Fanatic bibs and jacket for extended sits. Chemical packs are your friend - handwarmers are great but get the peel and stick ones and put one on your baselayer over your kidneys.... At some point you may want to look into the Pnuma heated vest - I love mine. Hope this helps.

Anyone out there running the stratus bibs with equinox midi/gradient?

I'm trying to decide what to get, I like the versatility of the stratus but I also get cold easy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Not opposed to other options as well but really prefer to have wind stopper in my whitetail kit.
What type of weather and temps are you hunting in? Stand or moving?

I sold my stratus set a couple of years ago. It is like a fleecy soft shell. Windproof but not a ton of warmth. For those temps here in NY I use a set of first lite solitudes. My buddies that use Sitka wear Fanatics or incenerators. FWIW, when I bought the solitudes, I almost bought the fanatics but liked the versatility of the First lite gear for other types of huntiNg.

Foreman05

FNG
I almost sold my stratus set to buy the fanatic but couldn’t do it, the versatility of the stratus is impressive. My bro has the fanatic set and we were both out in mid 20’s this year. He was warm and I was Luke warm starting to get cold the big difference was I had many layers he did not. What he can’t do is wear the fanatic when it’s 45.
we both have gear to get us to 25, my way requires more gear but is more versatile imo.
the midi pant was on my list to buy, I think they would be an awesome addition to the stratus, I have the midi coat and it’s awesome

I mentioned in another thread i wore stratus bibs with a base layer and kuiu super pro down pants in 22 and was comfortable. I have been tending to get more cool lately than i used to so i would say i am not a super hot hunter. Was cold enough my boots were freezing to the metal stand i was sitting on i guess just from the melted frost. Thats about as low as i would go with them, into the teens i think would stretch it too far.
I have the fanatic jacket and was wearing that lver the bibs that day with just a base and mid layer and was plenty warm on top. I do not have the stratus jacket yet. Plan to get that for mid season next year given the fanatic is too warm for anything above 50.
I do like the stratus bibs and pants for their versatility. I really want to get the jacket, but i hunt OK not northern states so our temps are more mild for a lot more of the season

mwh624

FNG
I hunt in west central MN and run the Status set along with the Incinerator Bibs.

I run the full Stratus system from 70-30, layering depending on the conditions and then swap in the Incinerator bibs to get down into the teens.

I'd skip the fanatic bibs and just go straight to the Incinerator bibs as they are warmer and pack up much smaller and are plenty quiet to bow hunt with.

OP
D
I ended up going with the fanatic bibs. Bought them when Sitka was running a sale. I tend to run on the colder side so I figured might as well go for it. They worked well so far. Coldest hunt so far was in the low 20's and I was comfortable. Only problem I see with them is as Foreman05 said that in the mid to high 40's you wont want to wear them.

Brewcrew9

FNG
Love the fanatic with equinox midi setup. Wear it any hunt under 30 degrees. Coldest i sat this year was 2 degrees with a negative chill and the only thing that got cold was my feet

harris611

FNG
I have both Stratus and Fanatic bibs as well as the Equinox midi pants. Like both bibs, but find myself wearing the Stratus a lot more often due to versatility. Generally for me: Stratus bibs alone (over base layer) from 60 - 40. Midi under Stratus bibs 40 - 30, then Fanatic bibs over base down to about 20, then Midi under Fanatic in the teens and below. I feel like I could probably get away with Stratus + midi down into the 20's if I didn't have the Fanatics.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately you really need to have a Mid-season and late-season sets in the North. I have Stratus and Fanatic. Both are necessary. I’m not getting the stratus into the teens even with the celsius and a fanatic vest on.

OP
D
I am sure I will end up with both Fanatic and Stratus sets. I currently have Fanatic bibs and Vest and the stratus jacket. I can get that down to the low twenties if I layer a bunch under the stratus.

Love the fanatic with equinox midi setup. Wear it any hunt under 30 degrees. Coldest i sat this year was 2 degrees with a negative chill and the only thing that got cold was my feet

So I take it the equinox midi is worth it? They look awesome for sure.

harris611

FNG
Honestly, my Equinox midi pants are most comfortable thing I own. I've been wearing them in my cold basement office damn near every day with a dress shirt and blazer on top for Zoom calls. The tapered legs are sweet for sliding into knee-high rubber boots and layer GREAT under Stratus and Fanatic bibs. Warm, comfortable, quiet. Love em.