Sitka Stratus or Fanatic

tracker12

WKR
I get flat out cold sitting in a tree stand. Looking to get a pair of Bibs and trying to decide between the two mentioned. Anyone use both and have a comparison of what temps they are good to. I do understand it is different for everyone. I have a friend that can hunt 20 degree weather in jeans,

CLEX

FNG
I have the Fanatics and they are nice, $$$ tho. They are bulky, but quiet. Pockets are well thought out.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
For similar prices, get the stratus with some primaloft long johns insulation for the cold days. Sitka makes them too, but you can get other brands. This setup gives me options. I have the lighter jacket as well but wear the fanatic vest over it when needed.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Stratus bibs and am cold sitting as you are. Wearing light merino bottoms with Wrangler outdoor pants, I'm am good in low thirties. I have a pair of OR Tradecraft pants I van put under to get me to low twenties for sure. Never used the Fanatic but went with the Status as I felt they were more versatile.

Ringtail

FNG
I don’t have the bibs but I have both coats. The stratus for me is sufficient till about 35 degrees. After that the fanatic is where it’s at. It is very quiet and very comfortable.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus bibs with 2 midweight layers will get me to low 30s but I get cold after a few hours. I added the equinox midi bottoms this year and can comfortably sit all day with them and a midweight layer under the stratus bibs all day.

I wear stratus pants with base layers down into the low 20’s. Just adjust my base layers accordingly. If you’re one that gets extremely cold just get the fanatic bibs. I know the jacket is amazing.

mwh624

FNG
Skip the Fanatic Bibs and get the Incinerator bibs. You can vent the sides if you get warm but they are warmer if you get chilly.

I run the Status Jacket and Bibs until ~30 degrees and then switch over to the Incinerator bibs.

With the Stratus jacket and Incinerator bibs, I can comfortably layer into the teens.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
I looked at the Stratus pants today and while nice but I will need to layer for sure. While I was leaning towards the Fanatic I am now thinking Stratus. It seems like it will be more versatile and with extra layers it should work for weather as cold as I am willing to hunt in.

Last edited:

mwh624

FNG
Anyone else like the direction Im going in.
How cold of weather do you plan to hunt? Stratus Jacket and Bibs with layering can comfortably hunt 20-60 degrees. The Fanatic set IMO a 10-40 rig and handles 10-30 range much more easily than the stratus.

If your keeping your original clothes to id think the fanatic route would complete your needs. Then you got stuff for every situation. I got a stratus for this season and love it but im use to hunting in cheap sweatshirts, and adding a second one if it gets real cold.
Id think the stratus is maybe “under gunning” yourself if you get cold easy, but thats only assuming your keeping everything that you have to get to that 30-35 degree mark

jbwright

WKR
Skip the Fanatic Bibs and get the Incinerator bibs. You can vent the sides if you get warm but they are warmer if you get chilly.

I run the Status Jacket and Bibs until ~30 degrees and then switch over to the Incinerator bibs.

With the Stratus jacket and Incinerator bibs, I can comfortably layer into the teens.
Second vote for bypassing fanatic bibs for incinerators

jbwright

WKR
Anyone else like the direction Im going in.
Hate I'm seeing this a month after it was posted...but here's my 2 cents. I have the stratus pants and wear the equinox midi (berber fleece lining) for an insulation layer...so in ~30 degree weather I'm comfortable with that setup...heavyweight merino base bottoms, equinox midi, then the stratus over the top. I'm skinny and cold natured as it is, and I'm good to go w/this setup. I'd also say there's something to be said for going the layering route, compared to going the fanatic route, if that makes sense? Obviously tons of guys on RS need what the fanatic bibs offer in late season - tons of warmth and they don't mind the bulk w/high wind and extreme cold temps.... (I'm in the south, so "frigid" isn't frigid to those guys), but if you live somewhere that you can leverage layering options, that's a plus in my book, and I can wear the equinox midi in Oct/Nov in the south.

Now, if it's sub freezing, I'm going incinerator bibs all the way. I do a good bit of hang and hunts, and the bulk of the fanatic bibs were the deterrent for me when I was comparing the fanatic bibs to the incinerator bibs. Plus, I try not to buy more than what I will actually use (meaning my goal isn't to own everything in the sitka/kuiu/FL lineup, although my wife thinks so) but the incinerator bib is the piece that makes a ton of sense IF it's below freezing...I can pack it down tight on my lock on/pack and put them on at the base of the tree. Also, I only use them whitetail hunting and never had an issue with sound, but keep in mind you're not moving your feet, as much as your upper body, when you're going to full draw...I do think that'd be different if I was bowhunting (and had deer w/in 40 yds) and was trying to go to full draw in the incinerator jacket. I DO think the fanatic jacket or some other outer shell would be more quiet/functional for a bowhunter, rather than having the incinerator jacket. Idk, still trying to figure out what makes sense to, so hopefully this helps

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
I ended up getting the Stratus Pants and so far happy with the purchase. More time in the field will be needed to really see how they will work out long term. What I do like about them is that in moderate temps I can wear them with not much of a base layers. Ive done a few sits in the mid 30's and was very comfortable with one heavy weight base.

I also found that if moving these are extremely warm. I did a slow hunt in the snow with the temps around 40 and they were borderline to hot. I did not have a base layer on either.

The more I wear these pants the more I love them. Wore them today is 28 degree weather with a light Minus 33 base layer. Even with srtrong winds with gusts to 20 I was extremely comfortable.

Last edited: