Sitka stratus vs. First Lite Solitude

boxx

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I’m looking to upgrade my tree stand hunting clothes and I’ve narrowed it down to these two sets. I usually have to walk about half a mile to the stand and sit all day. Hunting in PA can get a little cold but not cold enough to justify the Fanatic set. Has anyone tried both and what were your thoughts on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I’m looking to upgrade my tree stand hunting clothes and I’ve narrowed it down to these two sets. I usually have to walk about half a mile to the stand and sit all day. Hunting in PA can get a little cold but not cold enough to justify the Fanatic set. Has anyone tried both and what were your thoughts on them?

Haven’t tried both but I have the stratus. And the wind stopper that that set has is amazing. Unfortunately what one person likes may not be what you like. To bad we can’t rent the stuff to try it out before hand.

I believe the stratus punches above its weight because of the windstopper, but there definitely isnt much insulation. Solitude isn't wind proof, but cuts the wind pretty decent. I would give a slight edge in warmth to the solitude, but the stratus packs better and is slightly less bulky.

We have a lot of burrs here so I prefer the outer fabric on the solitude vs the stratus. Not sure how high the zippers go on the stratus bibs, but they go all the way to the top on the solitude, and the stratus pants don't have leg zippers, so keep that in mind.

Short answer is I say go Solitude if you want something warmer and a bit more versatile.

Long version - For a spring project I was thinking about an upgrade on my late season whitetail gear for NY/PA for this year. I should say that I hunt from the ground a lot - Still hunting and mobile ambush. I will get in a stand late in the season but I have the patience of a gnat on crack so really like moving around.

I had a first lite woodbury jacket that fit a little too snug in the shoulders for layering underneath for extreme cold but that I really liked. I had bought a sanctuary bib last year but I tagged out before it got cold enough to use them and I also wasn't thrilled with the fit. It wasn't a bad system but I started looking at options to tweak it a bit.

I love sitka stuff and have a ton of subalpine that I use for early season and turkey mostly. so, I spent a couple of months looking at the Sitka whitetail stuff and ended up buying a lightly used set of Stratus jacket and pants. They are windproof fleece. Limited insulation. A lot like a fleece jet stream jacket. I was planning to use them this year with insulation underneath or a fanatic jacket or vest on top for cold. Howvever, there was a lot of overlap between the stratus and some of the stuff I already had in terms of temperature range. Also the sitka stuff, as good as it is, is highly specialized for just stand hunting deer. I used my woodbury for still hunting deer as well as duck, pheasant and turkey hunting so it was more versatile and a little better for my use.

I wasn't entirely satisfied so I got interested in a bib and jacket set and looked into the first ilte solitudes. I started by selling my sanctuary bib and getting the solitude bib in a larger size. I wanted the extra room so it would be easy to put on and off over other layers. IMO the solitude bib fit better than the sanctuary. They seemed to have that "golidlocks" level of insulation I was looking for to handle 20-40 degree weather late season and cold snaps. I hunt from the ground a lot so the sitka camo pattern was a bit less appealing to my eye but I doubt it would have matter to a deer. After comparing the solitude and the stratus at the house and ended up reselling the stratus and going first lite for this season. happy with the solitude bib, I got interested in upgarding the woodbury jacket to the newer design and size up for a bit more layering room. I honestly would have been fine keeping the woodbury but the new jacket is fine too. I sized it up and now have a top and bottom that I can carry to the stand and put on over other layers with ease as well as add some insulation underneath in case I get into some real cold.

Between the two sitka and FL, both are great. I probably would have been fine with either. Solitude is a lot warmer to me but I agree the wind blocker will help the stratus close the gap. Pure speculation, but I think I would have been pretty comfortable in the stratus from about 35-55* based on my use of the jetsream and their other stuff. I think the solitude will take me to the 20* range fairly easily. In fact, I think the Fanatic is a fairer comparison to the Solitude that the stratus. I only have one day in the solitudes so far - Low wind, 21*. I was warm as heck for 3 hours with a few underlayers. I think I would have had to wear a puffy pant and jacket under the stratus to get the same result.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the stratus punches above its weight because of the windstopper, but there definitely isnt much insulation. Solitude isn't wind proof, but cuts the wind pretty decent. I would give a slight edge in warmth to the solitude, but the stratus packs better and is slightly less bulky.

We have a lot of burrs here so I prefer the outer fabric on the solitude vs the stratus. Not sure how high the zippers go on the stratus bibs, but they go all the way to the top on the solitude, and the stratus pants don't have leg zippers, so keep that in mind.
+1
BB.jpg

davescarp

WKR
So I've never used the FL set so take this with a grain of salt, but to me in a tree stand a windproof layer is 100% critical. when it's 25* with wind, insulation isn't going to do much if the wind it punching through it. I wear the stratus down to about 20* and layer as necessary under. I sized up the jacket (feel like it runs small anyways) and I use it from 20-50*, almost every time i bowhunt

Ghetto

FNG
I have the solitude bibs and they aren’t as warm as I expected. The chest pocket is awesome and the hand warmer is nice. I think I’m selling mine though for something more packable and warmer.

I have the solitude bibs and they aren’t as warm as I expected. The chest pocket is awesome and the hand warmer is nice. I think I’m selling mine though for something more packable and warmer.

I'll be honest, I kinda thought they'd be a little warmer than they are. I was looking for something between the sanctuary (which I can wear in 0 degree temps), and something uninsulated (mountain pants, timberline, etc), which the solitude definitely falls between them, but I was hoping the solitude would bridge the whole range, but I feel like there is still a gap.

I could probably wear some heavier layers under them, but that doesnt change what I said above..

I'll be honest, I kinda thought they'd be a little warmer than they are. I was looking for something between the sanctuary (which I can wear in 0 degree temps), and something uninsulated (mountain pants, timberline, etc), which the solitude definitely falls between them, but I was hoping the solitude would bridge the whole range, but I feel like there is still a gap.

I could probably wear some heavier layers under them, but that doesnt change what I said above..

I'm hoping to wear the solitude bib over a med weight merino base, and light to mid weight pants, down to about 20-25 degrees; paired with a med weight merino base, klamath or similar mid layer, and Woodbury jacket up top. That's in fairly calm to light wind. I usually don't wear anything over pants in temps of 35 or above, so maybe I'm not expecting too much from the solitude bibs. Guess I'll soon find out.

Cabelas instinct down pants. They are not bibs of course but I’m going to give them a try. Accumulating cabelas points now.

Thanks. I tried the heavy pants option last year (albeit not those) and just wasn't happy with it, so I sold them.

I also have a heavy bib with Primaloft (200 gsm body & 100 gsm legs) and it's warm but bulky. I'm guessing the Sanctuary would be similar in terms of bulk, which is why I went with the Solitude. I may keep my other bid for really cold temps though.

Truth be told, I for my purposes and weather I hunt in, the Woodbury is just about perfect. I can use it in a wide range of temps. Too bad they didn't just do a matching bib instead of dropping insulation in the new solitude line.

I'm hoping to wear the solitude bib over a med weight merino base, and light to mid weight pants, down to about 20-25 degrees; paired with a med weight merino base, klamath or similar mid layer, and Woodbury jacket up top. That's in fairly calm to light wind. I usually don't wear anything over pants in temps of 35 or above, so maybe I'm not expecting too much from the solitude bibs. Guess I'll soon find out.

If you can get away with wearing just base layers and midweight pants in 35 degrees, you are tougher than me! Also, the times I've worn my solitude bibs, I've only worn midweight merino base layers under them, so I'm sure if I wore a pair of pants in there, it would keep me warmer.

I maybe spoke too quickly before - I feel like with heavyweight bases (and maybe a pair of pants) under the solitudes, I'd probably be fine in the mid to lower 20s. Ive also noticed that the only parts of my legs that feel a chill is along the zippers down the outside.

I've used a Heater Body Suit quite a bit in the last 10 years but feel like its a little overkill and bulky when its above 20 (and the majority of my november hunting here in Iowa is 25-30 in the morning and a high of 45ish for the day). I wanted some bibs to wear between HBS temps and uninsulated pant temps which is why I bought the sanctuary a year or two ago, but they are definitely heavy and warm for those temps, so I think the solitude works alright. I guess I was just expecting they would be slightly warmer than they are considering how warm the sanctuary bibs are.

The handwarmer pocket on the lower chest is awesome tho! Makes me want to "upgrade" my woodbury jacket to the solitude jacket so I can use it all the time!

The handwarmer pocket on the lower chest is awesome tho! Makes me want to "upgrade" my woodbury jacket to the solitude jacket so I can use it all the time!

I swapped out my Woodbury jacket for a solitude to get some more layering room. Really like the pass through pockets and using the hand warmer when I have the bibs on. Nice design feature.

rodney482

WKR
You will be fine. I run that exact set up

If you can get away with wearing just base layers and midweight pants in 35 degrees, you are tougher than me! Also, the times I've worn my solitude bibs, I've only worn midweight merino base layers under them, so I'm sure if I wore a pair of pants in there, it would keep me warmer.

I maybe spoke too quickly before - I feel like with heavyweight bases (and maybe a pair of pants) under the solitudes, I'd probably be fine in the mid to lower 20s. Ive also noticed that the only parts of my legs that feel a chill is along the zippers down the outside.

I've used a Heater Body Suit quite a bit in the last 10 years but feel like its a little overkill and bulky when its above 20 (and the majority of my november hunting here in Iowa is 25-30 in the morning and a high of 45ish for the day). I wanted some bibs to wear between HBS temps and uninsulated pant temps which is why I bought the sanctuary a year or two ago, but they are definitely heavy and warm for those temps, so I think the solitude works alright. I guess I was just expecting they would be slightly warmer than they are considering how warm the sanctuary bibs are.

Haha! Well truth be told, it's extremely rare that I sit in a stand more than 4 hours or so at a time. Sometimes I will during the rut, if I'm on a good buck but not generally. I may hunt all day, but I'll be in one stand in the morning, come down for a while and usually go somewhere else in the afternoon. But I've found that if I can keep my head, ears, feet, and body core warm, I'm good.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Been hashing over a new jacket and bibs for cold weather. Looked at FirstLite, Arctic Shield and Sitka.
After reading all the input, I just ordered a set of Sitka Fanatic. Shallowed hard when I paid the bill, hope it’s worth it.

tracker12

WKR
Let us know how it works out for you. To be told Im still wearing a pair of old Rivers west pants that I have had for maybe 20 years.