Sitka Subalpine for Deer?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the process of switching over to Sitka for deer and turkey hunting. I primarily hunt in TN and the Elevated 2 pattern seems so light, especially for early season. I realize the science behind the EV2 pattern but it just seems like I won’t blend in. I’m leaning towards Subalpine since it has more green in it and I’ll be able to turkey hunt with it also.
Does anyone else deer hunt primarily with Subalpine? If so, what gear has worked best for you?

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I use a combo of both. Hunting in Virginia. More matched to the weather than anything but I agree it makes me feel better to have more of those green/brown colors on when the leaf canopy is also green.

For turkey I only use subalpine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
Personally never been impressed with the EVII camo. Is this for white tail? Camo for white tail is more about breaking up your outline rather than colors. Deer vision is quite poor. Lots of people just use solids.

This video is interesting. I’ve not done the light spectrum research so take this for what it is… a video on the internet. But generally white tail eyesight is pretty bad.

I think you’d do just fine with subalpine and I’m a big fan of dual purpose gear.

OP
C

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
Personally never been impressed with the EVII camo. Is this for white tail? Camo for white tail is more about breaking up your outline rather than colors. Deer vision is quite poor. Lots of people just use solids.

This video is interesting. I’ve not done the light spectrum research so take this for what it is… a video on the internet. But generally white tail eyesight is pretty bad.

I think you’d do just fine with subalpine and I’m a big fan of dual purpose gear.
Yes this is for whitetail. I ran across this same video the other day and was very impressed. This is what made me start thinking about using Subalpine for deer.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider

I do think whitetail vision is overestimated by many. As many on here say being still in the best camo. Sure some deer in some areas are hyper wary and very jumpy. Being well hidden is a better skill/tactic than having any one camo pattern.

I love Sitka gear but I rarely buy a piece because of the camo pattern. I like to buy garments that provide a function that I’m currently missing or unsatisfied with

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
I do think whitetail vision is overestimated by many. As many on here say being still in the best camo. Sure some deer in some areas are hyper wary and very jumpy. Being well hidden is a better skill/tactic than having any one camo pattern.

I love Sitka gear but I rarely buy a piece because of the camo pattern. I like to buy garments that provide a function that I’m currently missing or unsatisfied with

Totally agree. For me camo mostly comes in for hunting turkey (which I have only done once) or water fowl because birds have very good eye sight. For deer, during rifle season I’m a big orange blob and have shot deer at close range where I could have easily shot them with a bow. Movement and noise is how you get made by a deer. Peak rut is also good camo because when they are chasing that doe hard they seem to not care about anything else hah

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Camo is overrated, to a point anyway.

50s and 60s deer hunters used red plaid, and never had an issue.

Watch anyone the old eastmans vids, those guys didn't wear camo.

Hunters in NE and Adirondacks use green plaid, now with orange vests and hats and walk right up on deer.

Guys in blinds are wearing black, to hide their movements.

Camo is more for the hunter than game.

For me, it gets me fired up to hunt.

IMO, It's movement more than camo

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the process of switching over to Sitka for deer and turkey hunting. I primarily hunt in TN and the Elevated 2 pattern seems so light, especially for early season. I realize the science behind the EV2 pattern but it just seems like I won’t blend in. I’m leaning towards Subalpine since it has more green in it and I’ll be able to turkey hunt with it also.
Does anyone else deer hunt primarily with Subalpine? If so, what gear has worked best for you?
Both are fine if you stay still and watch the wind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
BTW...for the record...

Was it the sitka, or black zip up that allowed me to shoot this buck ??

Lol !

Attachments

• 20201031_131256.jpg
    20201031_131256.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 41

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
BTW...for the record...

Was it the sitka, or black zip up that allowed me to shoot this buck ??

Lol !
Did you shoot it or did it die of a heart attack because he only saw half your body because your legs disappeared with that top notch, engineered Sitka camo?

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, he looked up, was confused, ran into a tree, broke his neck.

Saves on ammo.....

Funny enough I just shot a doe with subalpine pants and a black Sitka hoody. I was in a tree. In a saddle. Deer never saw me draw.

I’d say it was the tree that helped me get that shot. But also the Sitka :)

fatlander

WKR
You’re way over thinking this. Buy solid colors, you can wear them other than just hunting and not look like a tool.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Funny enough I just shot a doe with subalpine pants and a black Sitka hoody. I was in a tree. In a saddle. Deer never saw me draw.

I’d say it was the tree that helped me get that shot. But also the Sitka :)

Actually, between being 20ft up in a tree, on a ridge, I could have had flashing lights on, unlikely he would have seen me !!

Probably 60ft higher than the buck.

Dressed 210lbs, btw. Was a chub....

BBob

WKR
I wear camo more to hide from other hunters than animals :)
Camo discussions always make me think of this guy before he was paid to wear camo.

Attachments

• C Adams Flannel.JPG
    C Adams Flannel.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 25

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
You’re way over thinking this. Buy solid colors, you can wear them other than just hunting and not look like a tool.

Hey I wear camo in public! Lol. Probably get a called a tool but I also don’t care what anyone else thinks. Life’s too short for that noise. My favorite jacket right now (kryptek njord) doesn’t come in solid, so camo it is. I also wear zubaz any chance I get. Maybe I’m just weird but man they are comfy.